Driver seat ActiveX material failing after 13k miles.

OP
OP
Ride_the_lightning

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
in my experience these materials fail as a result of using improper cleaners. These aren't organic leathers, they may be petrol based and some cleaners will break down the integrity of the material depending upon the chemicals and the chemistry of those cleaners. Much how rubbers can break down with the wrong kind of lubricants...some cleaners are not suitable for use on these materials. I generally stick with alkaline APCs that leave behind no residue. The armor all and other crap that leaves a finish are the ones I worry about.

The "interior protection package" or whatever the dealership did is suspect in this case.
I agree. I’ll have to see what the dealer did, although it was 13 months ago. I’ve only ever used water or baby wipes to clean them. I remember when I had my Tesla, people were melting their vinyl seats with hand sanitizer. Been very careful ever since I read about that.
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I agree. I’ll have to see what the dealer did, although it was 13 months ago. I’ve only ever used water or baby wipes to clean them. I remember when I had my Tesla, people were melting their vinyl seats with hand sanitizer. Been very careful ever since I read about that.
Yeah that's why I don't like these dealers doing crap to our cars before we take delivery. I'm a less is more guy when it comes to interior products. Clean up the stuff...but don't layer on conditioners unless it's specifically designed for the material you're putting it on. And definitely don't add anything with shine, yuck.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Hmmm, yeah. I don’t know why there even is perforation. These aren’t cooled or actively ventilated.
It still helps with circulation and airflow - which is supposed to be even more important with fake leather. My back would sweat on longer drives in the non-perforated Select seats. Not an issue with the Premium.

kevinosman23

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e rwd ex
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi all

i have had my drivers seat split between the perforations on the seam.
see pictures attached

but guess what it’s happened twice now in 2 years.
the first time it happened after 6 months of ownership. The seat cover was replaced by Ford under warranty but it took 6 months to get one. Crazy hey
it has now happened again just inside 2 years. I am waiting for fords response

anybody else seen splits at the seams?

IMG_7700.jpeg

IMG_7698.jpeg

IMG_7699.jpeg

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
31,000 miles in and we just noticed cracking of our drivers seat in our MME First Edition. Does anyone know if repair is covered by warranty?
Sponsored