Driver seat ActiveX material failing after 13k miles.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Just curious what the interior protection product was.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Of course I will do this. But it’s a seat for God’s sake. A bad batch? This isn’t a case of the runs from eating bad Chinese food. It’s vinyl. Suppliers should know how to make vinyl.
Of course they should, but stuff happens.
I hope it all works out for you.

bmando

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Of course I will do this. But it’s a seat for God’s sake. A bad batch? This isn’t a case of the runs from eating bad Chinese food. It’s vinyl. Suppliers should know how to make vinyl.
Wow, remind me to never sell you anything, not even a bagel!

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
The runs! LOL!!!!

JamieLV

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G37
Country flag
There are literally thousands of Mach E owners on this forum, and this is the first report I've seen of this. I love the material and it's not showing any wear at all in my car.

Nothing personal, but I'm inclined to think there's something in your specific situation causing this, not the seat material.
Reported by several others. In this thread you will see some say there dealer has agreed to replace under warranty...I didn't read through the whole thing to find out if they were successful.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/seat-material-cracking.21663/

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
I have generally loved my Mach E since I got it in December of 2021 (2021 job 2). It’s a Premium standard range AWD model. But this just turned me from supporter to “I will never buy a Ford again.” I have babied this car. It doesn’t have a single scratch or door ding after 13k miles and 13 months. The dealer even did an exterior and interior protection coating of some kind (I caved and agreed to it since they were wonderful and never even tried to add ADM). My daily use consists of driving my kids to school and running errands. I work from home and it’s garaged all day and night.

I’m sorry, but this sorry excuse for “vegan” leather is absolute shite. My 2017 Nissan leather looked better at 70k miles, not to mention the near-perfect leather in my 2013 Acura TSX at 75k miles. Both of those cars I bought used for $25,000 and retailed for under $40k.

I bought a first model year willing to put up with early adopter EV issues. My HVJB hasn’t failed, and I would rather deal with that. I assumed seats are one thing Ford has been making for 100 years.

In fact, this experience is similar to exactly one car I owned, a 2021 Tesla model 3. At 4k miles the paint started peeling off after a car wash. I sold it to CarMax the next day. FFS Ford, this is embarrassing. I don’t care how good the rest of the car is, if it falls apart when I sit in it, it’s a POS. No software can make up for that. I weigh 155 lbs btw. Not exactly a big guy.
C65D0514-23DC-4049-9471-E2F9812822F2.jpeg
I'm seeing exactly the same thing on my job 1 premium MME 4X in exactly the same spots. I'm not a heavy guy at 170 pounds, I also baby the car, and it's happening on both sides with nothing in my pockets. To say I'm really disappointed would be an understatement. To be quite honest I had a feeling that this "vegan leather" stuff was going to fail in exactly those perforated spots when I first saw it. These fake leather materials are just not nearly as durable as the real thing sadly.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
A car spa every couple of weeks sure sounds like babying to me! :oops:
“Car Spa” is the name of the car wash I take my car to. They do a pretty good job cleaning the car 🙂

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
A scam.
So, the dealer sprayed some crap on synthetic leather. It dried and cracked. Dealers fault. However I'd like to chime in that this might be a grey interior only thing. Out of the thousands of MME owners on here, what maybe 30% have the grey interior?
I noticed the seat backs of the back seats unzip. Wonder if the bottoms do.Ford might have seen this coming. I wouldn't think they'd actually bring in a sewing machine and fix just that one panel that will be darker than the rest. But I think logically so that could be a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ride_the_lightning

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No idea. I’ll have to dig out my purchase receipts. I figured it didn’t do any good, but I think it comes with additional interior warranty so maybe that’s worth something.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Feels like they should just have done leather, I mean I don't get why EV should use vegan leather. My feeling with the perforated vinyl seats was hope they don't crack.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Feels like they should just have done leather, I mean I don't get why EV should use vegan leather. My feeling with the perforated vinyl seats was hope they don't crack.
Because it’s not leather and suddenly leather is a bad thing from a PR perspective… catering to a perceived demographic perhaps?

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Because it’s not leather and suddenly leather is a bad thing from a PR perspective… catering to a perceived demographic perhaps?
Wtf you supposed to do with all the skin from the beef machines? So long as steaks are consumed, there will be leather available.

I get it... Cruelty free I suppose, and there may be people who not only choose to go meat-free but also do not want to touch any part of a dead animal, from shoes to sofas to car seat material. If one of those persons really likes the MME and can afford it, that might be a deal breaker.

On that note - streamline your damn production facility to make seat material options easier to install and give your customers a choice! Henry Ford made this whole production line thing over a hundred years ago and he didn't have robots, to think they need to limit options in order to make a profit after doing this for a hundred years is just nuts.

/rant

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Well, it’s a bummer it’s happening to you and a few others but I also feel “last Ford I’ll ever buy” before even approaching a dealer or Ford about it is a bit alarmist. Owning a business, too many people do that same thing before ever even trying to get a resolution and it’s plain off-putting and exhausting. What that means is in the end I’m less likely to help that client. Keep a cool even head and I’m certain it will get fixed most likely under warranty. If not, then come b*itching here and we will give you sympathy and help. Now should it be failing, probably not. It does look stretched or torn and I can tell you there were two far heavier people in our house that don’t have this problem after 10k miles. One thing I did notice is yours looks thinner and more plasticky perhaps thinner than ours more like vinyl from the 80s and 90s?. I can say ours has held up immaculately with our fat butts.

I do also use vinyl and leather conditioner every spring and Fall as a UV protectant and have tinted windows so maybe there’s something there too? Not normal but maybe why some have the issue and others don’t after 10k, 20k or 30k.
Sponsored