Drivers face steep fines for parking non-electric vehicles in electric vehicle charging stations

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
In Australia... That's ABC Australia...

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That ought to be in the US of A as well
Not as severe but encouraging.
"California’s Vehicle Code 22511 states that parking designated for electric vehicles can be enforced by the site’s owner. According to the city attorney for Clovis, the owner of the parking area may have a vehicle towed away from a stall or space set aside for electric vehicle charging if that vehicle is not connected to the charging equipment (but the police or Sheriff’s department must be notified of the illegal parking before the vehicle is removed). That parking area must have a sign (no smaller than 17 inches by 22 inches) that says “unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense” (with details of where the towed vehicles can be reclaimed underneath)."

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Laws do no good unless they are enforced. I doubt these will be enforced if they existed in Florida or any red state where if you're a particular political affiliation you are above the law.
Yes I think if there were laws like the one mentioned in the original post, there probably would be lax enforcement, especially in towns/cities where there's not much love for EVs. I keep thinking about some of the recent stories about certain legislators in North Carolina and one of the Dakotas trying to introduce bills that weren't friendly to EVs.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Yes I think if there were laws like the one mentioned in the original post, there probably would be lax enforcement, especially in towns/cities where there's not much love for EVs. I keep thinking about some of the recent stories about certain legislators in North Carolina and one of the Dakotas trying to introduce bills that weren't friendly to EVs.
Yeah I'm sure the police in Bushnell will make it a priority 😂

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
I'd rather be blocked by an ICE car than a Bolt that started charging at 20% lol
ICE dude would finish shopping, lunch, use the restroom and leave before that Bolt hits 80%

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I'd rather be blocked by an ICE car than a Bolt that started charging at 20% lol
ICE dude would finish shopping, lunch, use the restroom and leave before that Bolt hits 80%
No lies detected 😁.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Laws do no good unless they are enforced. I doubt these will be enforced if they existed in Florida or any red state where if you're a particular political affiliation you are above the law.
It depends upon the logistics of it. For example, in Philly private lot owners contract with towing companies - and those towing companies view it as revenue and will even proactively cruise by. Similarly, the store operator with EVSE will be losing money if the spots are iced and so have an incentive to have the cars towed.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
It depends upon the logistics of it. For example, in Philly private lot owners contract with towing companies - and those towing companies view it as revenue and will even proactively cruise by. Similarly, the store operator with EVSE will be losing money if the spots are iced and so have an incentive to have the cars towed.
I still have an offer that I'll pay $10 to watch an ICE get towed from an EV spot for a violation and I've yet to pay it out lol.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
"California’s Vehicle Code 22511 states that parking designated for electric vehicles can be enforced by the site’s owner. According to the city attorney for Clovis, the owner of the parking area may have a vehicle towed away from a stall or space set aside for electric vehicle charging if that vehicle is not connected to the charging equipment (but the police or Sheriff’s department must be notified of the illegal parking before the vehicle is removed). That parking area must have a sign (no smaller than 17 inches by 22 inches) that says “unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense” (with details of where the towed vehicles can be reclaimed underneath)."
So instead of blocking spots, people will just unplug your car and call the tow company to complain.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have pointed out ICEing to security and/or management at a few places here in CA. The universal response is “Oh? Huh.” Then nothing gets done. I have since given up. đŸ€·â€â™‚ïžđŸ©
Sponsored