Michael MM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD XR
Country flag
Does anyone know if headlights need adjustment to drive in Europe and not blind the oncoming traffic?
Sponsored

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Oh! Thanks!
Is that a software adjustment or one needs to change headlights?
As you have the RWD model that doesn’t have adaptive lights you’ll need to purchase a RHD to LHD shielding kit from somewhere like Halfords. They cost about £5 and are just a set of stickers that go over the lights to shield the left side beam from oncoming traffic when abroad.

If you had an AWD model there are adaptive light settings you can use to do it via software.

OP
OP
Michael MM

Michael MM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD XR
Country flag
As you have the RWD model that doesn’t have adaptive lights you’ll need to purchase a RHD to LHD shielding kit from somewhere like Halfords. They cost about £5 and are just a set of stickers that go over the lights to shield the left side beam from oncoming traffic when abroad.

If you had an AWD model there are adaptive light settings you can use to do it via software.
Well, when I ordered my Mach E I wanted every possible extra, only not AWD, so I got the extended range and Tech+ Pack, which was supposed to include adaptive LED headlights (or so I was told at the point of sale). Indeed, when stationery or advancing very slowly against a wall I could see the beam move as I turned the wheel. Perhaps I should confirm with the garage I bought it from.
In any event - where in the menu would I find that option? May that would be the definitive answer.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Well, when I ordered my Mach E I wanted every possible extra, only not AWD, so I got the extended range and Tech+ Pack, which was supposed to include adaptive LED headlights (or so I was told at the point of sale). Indeed, when stationery or advancing very slowly against a wall I could see the beam move as I turned the wheel. Perhaps I should confirm with the garage I bought it from.
In any event - where in the menu would I find that option? May that would be the definitive answer.
The RWD ER version NEVER came with adaptive headlights. They only came on the AWD models. This has always been the case and is detailed in the "compare models" section on the website even now. If you were "told" that your RWD came with adaptive headlights then you were given the wrong information by your dealer, which isn't unusual. The tech+ pack on RWD only gives you the glass roof, B & O sound system, electric seats, 360 degree camera, power foldable mirrors and the handsfree tailgate.

OP
OP
Michael MM

Michael MM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD XR
Country flag
The RWD ER version NEVER came with adaptive headlights. They only came on the AWD models. This has always been the case and is detailed in the "compare models" section on the website even now. If you were "told" that your RWD came with adaptive headlights then you were given the wrong information by your dealer, which isn't unusual. The tech+ pack on RWD only gives you the glass roof, B & O sound system, electric seats, 360 degree camera, power foldable mirrors and the handsfree tailgate.
That actually seems to match reality. I did notice that AWD's front indicator blinked differently than ours. Hmm. Bummer. All these differences, without any option to change at point of purchase, don't make much sense to me. The comparison table, was not there when I picked and our spec. Maybe I trusted the dealer more than I should have. Well - it is what it is.
I wish I could replace them even now, post delivery.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
That actually seems to match reality. I did notice that AWD's front indicator blinked differently than ours. Hmm. Bummer. All these differences, without any option to change at point of purchase, don't make much sense to me. The comparison table, was not there when I picked and our spec. Maybe I trusted the dealer more than I should have. Well - it is what it is.
I wish I could replace them even now, post delivery.
Unfortunately, judging by a lot of comments on here over the past 2 years you are not alone. There are a lot of people whose dealers have been (now I am being polite), interesting in their dealings with their customers. I think that getting the MME has been the first experience dealing with Ford and their dealers for a lot of people. I have been dealing with my local dealer for nearly 30 years so have got an exceptional relationship with him. Because of this I was also well aware of Ford's failings with customer service/information. Unfortunately at the time of ordering my MME he wasn't allowed to sell them, so I had to purchase it from another dealer but now that he is able to sell/service them he is doing all my work that is needed.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Most of us have found that our interest and then research in to the vehicle has been extensive compared to the one pager many salesmen read or glance at.

Thankfully our repair experts are learning fast, shame they don't read this forum.

obotas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag

My RWD has an option in the settings to change form RHD to LHD.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Driving a UK Mach E in Europe tempImageQCcP2S

Last edited:

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
My RWD has an option in the settings to change form RHD to LHD.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Driving a UK Mach E in Europe tempImageQCcP2S
Yes - I have had that software option on both my RWD Mach-E’s as well.

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to actually change anything in reality. I think it’s an AWD option that has been left in the RWD software?

The 2022 manual has an entry on it and the car software shows it better - but it still doesn’t do anything, and the on/off function isn’t there …

Ford Mustang Mach-E Driving a UK Mach E in Europe C270934B-032D-4BFE-9466-C401F454ADB1

Ford Mustang Mach-E Driving a UK Mach E in Europe F5A48DBF-82F7-448A-9F9A-A063BF10DA9D

Dunc999

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E RWD SR
Country flag
I've driven in Europe several times in my BMW 5 Series and X1 before that and never bothered! Not had any hassle about it either.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
The adaptive (low beam) lights are two step only, it is a wide symmetrical beam for low speed and a asymetrical one for high speed driving being turned on and off. The asymetrical one is still specific to the delivered country. What the setting basically does is just disabling the high speed mode giving only the wide short range mode. It is kind of the same as what the stickers would do, but it will give terrible low beam performance. It does not affect high beam, so it is not really a problem for short time use.

As a side note.. that mode can be used kind of as a fog light in heavy snow driving to avoid glare. I have used it a few times last winter. Proper halogen fog lights would still be better, but it can still be better than full low beam some times

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
@Michael MM are you planning to go in the next few weeks? please keep us posted. am interested in the Europe driving experience too