Driving mode customization

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I was under the impression that weekend could change all settings in the driving mode other than acceleration (since mode is mainly throttle mapping).

But I just realized that I never saw a video where these options are changed. I can on My Kona Electric

Turns out than I hate agressif regen. So I would like to be un Unbridled mode all the time but with « gliding/coasting » regen.

Can somebody confirm that we can edit the settings and that we’re not stuck with what Ford decided ?

42345946-4861-48DB-B052-5C0111F1A743.jpeg
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
This is a huge pet hate of miney with ford, they lack a custom / user / individual mode that is pretty common in other brands. Typically you get lumbered with that base modes which is probably fine for a lot of people but frankly it always falls short and isn't good enough IMO, ford really needs to add a custom mode as a OTA if it is too late for launch.

I don't need to tweak the fine details just me select from the various pre programmed options like the custom modes available on other vehicles.

Take my focus rs, there are various systems which have a normal and sport setting the awd has an additional drfit mode. Personally I can't stand the sport exhaust with all its juvenile pops and bangs and the dampers on sports settings are hopeless. There however only 4 pre set modes to chose from normal, sport, track and drift. Of the settings I prefer the sport steering and the AWD in sport, however the sport mode just gives me sport steering, engine and sport exhaust, the only way I can get sport AWD is to go to track mode the real sport mode as that puts everything in sport, thankfully the dampers can be individually toggled, but I now have sport ECS which isn't really what and also have to put up with stupid sport exhaust.

Ideally there needed to be a sport+ mode that added the AWD in sport, but that would have still left me with sport exhaust which I never want, hence why giving people a custom mode fixes the need to add even more modes, I could then have what I really want which is the sport steering & AWD and leave everything else in normal, the fact ford don;t have custom modes is just bone headed at this point seeing as other manufactures have no problem offering it.

With the mach-e I am probably going to want coasting mode as I left foot brake in automatics so will get regen from just pushing the brake pedal, however it appears that whisper mode is for maximum coasting, which will be give soft everything else :(, so unbridled it is then, but that then gets full lift of regen what I don't want, so once again fords choices are out of touch with how I would probably want the vehicle of behave, naturally all easily fixed if ford actually entered the 21 century when it comes to car mode options.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I was under the impression that weekend could change all settings in the driving mode other than acceleration (since mode is mainly throttle mapping).

But I just realized that I never saw a video where these options are changed. I can on My Kona Electric

Turns out than I hate agressif regen. So I would like to be un Unbridled mode all the time but with « gliding/coasting » regen.

Can somebody confirm that we can edit the settings and that we’re not stuck with what Ford decided ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Driving mode customization 42345946-4861-48DB-B052-5C0111F1A743
From another thread, thanks to @trutolife27
Modes to suit your mood
Mustang Mach-E offers three unique drive modes to fully exploit the refined and responsive all-electric Mustang Mach-E driving experience. Whisper, Active and Untamed Drive Modes are each designed to immerse the driver in the moment by altering what they see, hear and feel from behind the wheel.
Active mode balances the quiet serenity of an all-electric vehicle with fun-to-drive, thrilling Mustang performance, making it the perfect choice for the everyday drive. Soft blue lighting infuses the cabin while the dynamic cluster displays an EcoMode to help maximise energy efficiency.
When drivers really want to amp up the excitement they can switch to Untamed. This unleashes the full potential of the Mustang Mach-E; sharpening the steering, enhancing the throttle response and even giving the driver the feel of downshifting on deceleration. Matched to the performance is a boosted interior sound, sporty orange lighting, and dynamic sense lines on the driver display that reflect the acceleration and cornering forces being experienced.
Activating lighter steering controls, a gentler accelerator response and the quietest ambience inside the cockpit, Whisper mode is the most relaxing way to enjoy Mustang Mach-E.
Whisper mode also optimises Brake Traction Control 6 that helps maintain grip on wet and slippery surfaces, to make driving even less demanding. As with Active mode, a Low Gear function can also be selected for greater control of the vehicle speed without overuse of the brakes when negotiating steep downward inclines or towing.
“Mustang Mach-E gave us the opportunity to really tailor the driving experience and give the driver exactly what they want from their vehicle depending on how they feel that day. The vehicle becomes a companion that responds to you,” said Matthias Tonn, Mustang Mach-E chief programme engineer for Europe. “Individual changes between each Drive Mode are subtle, but the overall effect can transform the driving experience in Mustang, exactly when you want it to.”
Mustang Mach-E also delivers 1 Pedal Drive capability in each Drive Mode. Acceleration and deceleration are controlled through pressing or lifting-off the accelerator pedal respectively – for the authentic all-electric driving experience. The brake pedal still remains active for situations where greater braking power is required.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The inability to easily change the regenerative braking level on the fly is a concern of mine as well. My Outlander PHEV has paddles on the steering wheel for quickly changing between 6 levels or regen, and I use them all the time.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
This is a huge pet hate of miney with ford, they lack a custom / user / individual mode that is pretty common in other brands. Typically you get lumbered with that base modes which is probably fine for a lot of people but frankly it always falls short and isn't good enough IMO, ford really needs to add a custom mode as a OTA if it is too late for launch.

I don't need to tweak the fine details just me select from the various pre programmed options like the custom modes available on other vehicles.

Take my focus rs, there are various systems which have a normal and sport setting the awd has an additional drfit mode. Personally I can't stand the sport exhaust with all its juvenile pops and bangs and the dampers on sports settings are hopeless. There however only 4 pre set modes to chose from normal, sport, track and drift. Of the settings I prefer the sport steering and the AWD in sport, however the sport mode just gives me sport steering, engine and sport exhaust, the only way I can get sport AWD is to go to track mode the real sport mode as that puts everything in sport, thankfully the dampers can be individually toggled, but I now have sport ECS which isn't really what and also have to put up with stupid sport exhaust.

Ideally there needed to be a sport+ mode that added the AWD in sport, but that would have still left me with sport exhaust which I never want, hence why giving people a custom mode fixes the need to add even more modes, I could then have what I really want which is the sport steering & AWD and leave everything else in normal, the fact ford don;t have custom modes is just bone headed at this point seeing as other manufactures have no problem offering it.

With the mach-e I am probably going to want coasting mode as I left foot brake in automatics so will get regen from just pushing the brake pedal, however it appears that whisper mode is for maximum coasting, which will be give soft everything else :(, so unbridled it is then, but that then gets full lift of regen what I don't want, so once again fords choices are out of touch with how I would probably want the vehicle of behave, naturally all easily fixed if ford actually entered the 21 century when it comes to car mode options.
Seems to me you'll get what you want because 1-pedal mode is a separate setting that can be turned on/off independently of the drive mode (they even stressed that in the last charging performance webex--it will default to on when you first get the car but I think turning it off will keep it off in your profile).

Thus in unbridled and 1-pedal off you'll have to use the brake to get any sort of regen and when you lift your foot off the accelerator you'll coast and not regen (because 1-pedal is off). You should only get "heavy" regen when you hit the brake...

Unless they want to make unbridled like driving around in "L" all the time but that really wouldn't make sense with the PRNDL having an L and the 1-pedal on/off setting.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thus in unbridled and 1-pedal off you'll have to use the brake to get any sort of regen and when you lift your foot off the accelerator you'll coast and not regen (because 1-pedal is off). You should only get "heavy" regen when you hit the brake...
I think you have that backwards. Unbridled has the heaviest regen of the 3 modes.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you have that backwards. Unbridled has the heaviest regen of the 3 modes.
Yes heaviest regen in 1-pedal mode.

When 1-pedal mode is off there shouldn't be any regen when you lift your foot off the accelerator because if there was then you'd be back in 1-pedal mode (they could want to mimic "L" on an ICE but there already is an "L" on the PRNDL so that would be redundant).

Kind of counter intuitive: If 1-pedal mode is off then it drives like a normal car (e.g. creep is on and it coasts when you lift your foot off the accelerator).

Yes these are my interpretations of what Ford has reported to us. They talk a lot about how it behaves with 1-pedal on but very little about how it behaves with 1-pedal off.

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
The inability to easily change the regenerative braking level on the fly is a concern of mine as well. My Outlander PHEV has paddles on the steering wheel for quickly changing between 6 levels or regen, and I use them all the time.
I like this too in my Kona. Default is at zero but if I need to slowdown on a ramp, it kind of mimic downshifting

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Driving mode customization 42345946-4861-48DB-B052-5C0111F1A743
Is that a screen capture or a webpage? Do you have the infograph for the other two drive modes? Thanks.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes heaviest regen in 1-pedal mode.

When 1-pedal mode is off there shouldn't be any regen when you lift your foot off the accelerator because if there was then you'd be back in 1-pedal mode (they could want to mimic "L" on an ICE but there already is an "L" on the PRNDL so that would be redundant).

Kind of counter intuitive: If 1-pedal mode is off then it drives like a normal car (e.g. creep is on and it coasts when you lift your foot off the accelerator).

Yes these are my interpretations of what Ford has reported to us. They talk a lot about how it behaves with 1-pedal on but very little about how it behaves with 1-pedal off.
I still think you are confusing the regen levels of Whisper and Unbridled. With 1-pedal off, Whisper will coast and Unbridled will provide heavier regen.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I still think you are confusing the regen levels of Whisper and Unbridled. With 1-pedal off, Whisper will coast and Unbridled will provide heavier regen.
Not confusing them at all. What I'm saying is that with 1-pedal off all modes should coast when your foot is off the accelerator.

At least that is the way I would expect it to work. With 1-pedal off the expectation is that you need to use the brake to slow down hence coasting when foot off the accelerator.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Not confusing them at all. What I'm saying is that with 1-pedal off all modes should coast when your foot is off the accelerator.

At least that is the way I would expect it to work. With 1-pedal off the expectation is that you need to use the brake to slow down hence coasting when foot off the accelerator.
They will coast, but less.

I think they did a good description here:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

The problem is as others have stated at present in all the ford info so far you will get different levels of lift off regen depending on the mode, where as with one pedal mode active you will always get maximum regen on lift off.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes, but as we have blended braking on the mach-e when I push on the anchors if that comes from regen or friction I don't care the system should be able to work out what is the best way to reduce speed based on the amount I am pushing the pedal.

As the potential amount of regen available is a variable that can change depending on the battery state, it is due to this variable as to why I would prefer the lift off to just coast, if you lift off in an ice sure you can get different levels depending on the gear you are in, but you are generally going to get a constant result, if you lift off and regen is unavailable due to battery state the you are not going to get the result expected, I shouldn't have to quickly look at the dash to determine potential regen state to see what the outcome of lifting off will be.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For the FFE and C-Max owners out there, how do regeneration and one-pedal mode work?

My interpretation is Unbridled will still have heavy regeneration with one-pedal off, it just won’t stop for you.
Sponsored