Driving up 95/NE Corridor/Tpke

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Using plugshare to map out a trip from Northern VA to Long Island I realized the charging stations at the rest stops are only 50 kW. The 150 kW capable electrify america are only a few along my way. A WaWa in DE and a couple Walmarts in NJ. Is there a 20% - 80% charging @ 50 kW figure out there for both battery packs?

Wondering how much a 30 min stop would "top off" if I just stuck to rest stops @ 50 kW. Surprised the rest stops don't have more capability. Maybe I should upgrade to the ER now that the prices have dropped! Hmmm
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Using plugshare to map out a trip from Northern VA to Long Island I realized the charging stations at the rest stops are only 50 kW. The 150 kW capable electrify america are only a few along my way. A WaWa in DE and a couple Walmarts in NJ. Is there a 20% - 80% charging @ 50 kW figure out there for both battery packs?

Wondering how much a 30 min stop would "top off" if I just stuck to rest stops @ 50 kW. Surprised the rest stops don't have more capability. Maybe I should upgrade to the ER now that the prices have dropped! Hmmm
What's the typical speed on that route? I'll assume 65. While no one knows exactly what mileage will be at each speed, it's probably fair to say mileage will be around 10% less at 65 MPH. If you're driving the RWD ER, 300 miles range becomes 270 / 88 kWh = 3.07 miles/kWh.

An hour on a 50 kW charger adds 50 kWh x 3.07 = 153 miles per hour, or about 25 miles each 10 minutes. So around 75 miles for a half hour stop.

Reactions: Nav

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One back-handed advantage of a slower charger like that it should take the same amount of time no matter how full the battery is. The charging should stay above 50 kW at every point, thus no taper (possibly a little above 90% but probably not even that). So there's no advantage to running it down to 10% SOC before stopping. Should take just as long to add 25 kWh whether you start at 10% SOC or 30% or 50%.

Unlike using a 125 or 150 kW charger that will taper down.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
One back-handed advantage of a slower charger like that it should take the same amount of time no matter how full the battery is. The charging should stay above 50 kW at every point, thus no taper (possibly a little above 90% but probably not even that). So there's no advantage to running it down to 10% SOC before stopping. Should take just as long to add 25 kWh whether you start at 10% SOC or 30% or 50%.

Unlike using a 125 or 150 kW charger that will taper down.
Great points, thanks Tim... and also the other Tim for the other route planner link! :cool:

I need to really educate myself this week on the nitty gritty of BEVs and charging. Will use that logic/math to calculate for an AWD SR using that has 210 mi range and will also have a different efficiency rate.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
and also the other Tim for the other route planner link!
You're very welcome. What's nice about it is that you have a lot flexibility to choose specific stops, adjust how much or how little you charge at each, set departure times, and so forth. For a single day trip that isn't necessary, but I have spent hours mapping out an tweaking a trip from NJ to Port Canaveral next year. Since I can't stand driving too long and a bucket list item for me is to swim with the whale sharks in Atlanta, I tweaked departure times so that the plan is mapped out over three and a half days. Since high speed charging is faster at lower state of charge levels and then tapers off as the battery gets more full (as @dbsb3233 pointed out), I modified the plan to charge longer (>30 mins) at lunch and dinner, as well as at the hotel stop at the end of the day. Then the midday stops can be shorter (15-20 mins) - just enough time for a bio break and stretch.

Since ABRP takes real time info into account and Electrify America started replacing a bunch of charging stations along the 95 corridor, the charging times are off in some places if you map it out now. But, by the end of the year they'll be done and you'll have a better idea of haw far you can go and how long it will take to get there.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was bummed to see the two MD service plaza chargers stations (Maryland House, Chesapeake House) are now charging for charging. In fact ABRP recommends getting off 95 to charge at the Havre de Grace EA station instead of using one of those.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was bummed to see the two MD service plaza chargers stations (Maryland House, Chesapeake House) are now charging for charging. In fact ABRP recommends getting off 95 to charge at the Havre de Grace EA station instead of using one of those.
Bummer! I was looking forward to charging there for free!

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Oh man, I always stop at that Maryland House. That sucks they will impose a fee to charge. Guess it makes sense, but still.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
What's the typical speed on that route? I'll assume 65. While no one knows exactly what mileage will be at each speed, it's probably fair to say mileage will be around 10% less at 65 MPH. If you're driving the RWD ER, 300 miles range becomes 270 / 88 kWh = 3.07 miles/kWh.

An hour on a 50 kW charger adds 50 kWh x 3.07 = 153 miles per hour, or about 25 miles each 10 minutes. So around 75 miles for a half hour stop.
Think I'm understanding a bit more now, watched some recommended vids on EV charging math.

Premium SR AWD - 210 range, 10% less for highway driving is 189mi.
189 / 68 kWh = 2.78 mi/kWh
@ 50 kWh that's 139 mi/hr or about 70mi for a half hour stop

Rotting Piñata

First Name
Adi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon hybrid
Country flag
My most common "long distance" trip is NoVa to the Jersey Shore. It's 220 miles door to door. I was hoping the AWD range would get me there without having to charge. I decided the fun of AWD was worth lower range (I hope I'm right).

Playing with ABRP, it's telling me to stop at an Electrify America fast charger (50kW, 150kW, 350kW) at a Wawa in New Castle, DE right before the Delaware Mem Bridge. It's not a highway rest stop, but it isn't too far of a detour. Hopefully there are more out there that are convenient for the I-95 drive.

Edit - reread the original post and see that you've already mentioned the DE Wawa. My bad :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
My most common "long distance" trip is NoVa to the Jersey Shore. It's 220 miles door to door. I was hoping the AWD range would get me there without having to charge. I decided the fun of AWD was worth lower range (I hope I'm right).

Playing with ABRP, it's telling me to stop at an Electrify America fast charger (50kW, 150kW, 350kW) at a Wawa in New Castle, DE right before the Delaware Mem Bridge. It's not a highway rest stop, but it isn't too far of a detour. Hopefully there are more out there that are convenient for the I-95 drive.

Edit - reread the original post and see that you've already mentioned the DE Wawa. My bad :)
Yes indeed, that Wawa is going to be a popular stop for us. We actually just made our usual trip to Long Island a couple weeks ago, and maps had me take an exit to avoid a small stretch of heavy traffic. Turns out this would be the exact path to get to that Wawa and then get back on the highway before the bridge.

As we took the New Castle exit I started to realize it pretty. Sure enough it took me right past it, so stopped to take a look. Not bad at all, besides a fairly open lot to walk around there is just the Wawa itself. Maps was accurate showing only 1 charger was currently in use. Pretty cool feature by Google maps.

Next best EA options for charging are a few Walmarts in NJ.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Great points, thanks Tim... and also the other Tim for the other route planner link! :cool:

I need to really educate myself this week on the nitty gritty of BEVs and charging. Will use that logic/math to calculate for an AWD SR using that has 210 mi range and will also have a different efficiency rate.
ABRP is hands down the best EV trip planner. As long as you give it accurate temperatures, it’s always very close to real-world performance.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes indeed, that Wawa is going to be a popular stop for us. We actually just made our usual trip to Long Island a couple weeks ago, and maps had me take an exit to avoid a small stretch of heavy traffic. Turns out this would be the exact path to get to that Wawa and then get back on the highway before the bridge.

As we took the New Castle exit I started to realize it pretty. Sure enough it took me right past it, so stopped to take a look. Not bad at all, besides a fairly open lot to walk around there is just the Wawa itself. Maps was accurate showing only 1 charger was currently in use. Pretty cool feature by Google maps.

Next best EA options for charging are a few Walmarts in NJ.
NJ also cut a deal with Tesla earlier this year. Tesla is adding charging stations to most of the remaining turnpike rest stops, and as part of the deal Tesla would pay to add the transformers/supply for 4 non-tesla chargers as well. Presumably NJ will then work a deal with EVgo, EA, or one of the others to actually put in CCS chargers.
Sponsored