Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
Thanks for the detailing this experience!

Has there been any stories yet of a complete stop due to low battery?
Sponsored

Diamondjr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 explorer, 2017 f-150
Occupation
Retail
Country flag
Took mine down to 2% on Saturday night, on a 129 mile trip. Range and distance to destination were dancing back and forth from a deficit to a slight excess. Towards the end of the trip I had the choice to go the county road route (my usual way) around a town or go through the town(android auto directions). I ended up going through the town and gained 3 miles of range going the slower speed.

Lots of warnings that there were no charging locations with range ect.

PXL_20210307_041944838.jpg

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Charging from generators often has grounding issues. There are ways to make it work, but it’s often not as straightforward as you would think.
I vaguely remember someone putting two power resistors, something like 10k ohm to ground (hot and neutral to gnd) in a dummy plug that went into the second 110V outlet to allow an EV to charge from a Honda 2000. I set the parts aside to try it, but never got around to it. L1 is sooo slow, it would just about take desperation before I would try it. I am super spoiled now by 48A 11 kW L2 charging.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
No power reduction or anything?
No power reduction. It is just shows you the remaining range. You make the decisions.
Keep it going until it quits or find a place to charge it. Just like ICE vehicles. Get a warning of miles to empty or run it until empty.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Did my first real trip yesterday in 24 degree weather. Used both ABRP (For planning) and Ford nav. Stopped to get a 50% to roughly 63% charge 120 miles from home. Of course I had issues with the chargers so EA gave me a free session, so I took it up to 71%, which was 20 miles higher than my navigation destination distance.

I figured I'd see how accurate this was. It got colder when the sun went down so I upped the heat.

Got down to an 18 mile difference when I realized the Navigation was taking me a longer way.

Once I took over the route, it jumped to a 30 mile difference. So why would navigation take me a way that was 12 miles longer?!

So ended up pulling in with 30 miles left.

I know this is off topic, but how can you trust the navigation?

If Ford nav said "You'll arrive with 1 mile left", no way I'm trusting it.

Screenshot_20210307-205252.png

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
that is cutting it a little to close for me. wether it damges battery or not. Not like you can go get a Kw of electricity to get it last mile to charge.
I live in a friendly neighborhood

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
So all this happened without the Turtle mode showing like on other brands, cutting HVAC and other power consuming stuff, limiting speed and so forth? :rolleyes:
If you get to a power limited mode, likely you are also in battery damaging mode.

Dkuhnke

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Mach e FE, but ETA is anyone's guess
Occupation
retired engineer
Country flag
I kind of hope 0% isn't really 0% and still has enough charge to avoid damage. Still, I wouldn't do it with mine :)
That's why I carry an extra 50ft 12gauge extension cord in the frunk, along with the Ford charging cable, for situations like this.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I know this is off topic, but how can you trust the navigation?

If Ford nav said "You'll arrive with 1 mile left", no way I'm trusting it.
So at the verge of bringing up the dreaded "T" word on here, I do think a certain other EV carmaker has a very smart screen that walks the driver through the nav's range estimation process, which helps build trust with the nav.

I've watched a lot of EV road trips on YouTube, and those that have the "T" vehicles certainly bring up this screen a lot - I think by showing you that it knows elevation, etc. and showing how your driving has influenced the trip, I could be convinced to trust that "1 mile" will *be* 1 mile when I get to the destination.

Stole it from Google as I don't have one of those cars, apologies for the German(?) labels, but battery % is on the Y axis and distance on the X, it forecasts your trip in gray, and how you actually drive is in green/yellow/red, and the dot moves along the line as you drive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Drove down to 0%  battery 1615408330636

I think something like this in the Mach-E would be amazing.
Sponsored