DTE Smart Charge Incentive

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Just got a message in my Ford app telling me that the Mach-E was just added to the DTE Smart Charge Program. This is a program that pays you $50 now, and $50 later, for not charging during Do Not Charge events, and charging during times of excess energy.

Ford works with DTE to change the charge settings in the vehicle to not charge, or to begin charging. You can override this is you need to, as long as you don't exceed the override limitations. Terms and Conditions

Brochure Note it doesn't include the Mach-E, which was just added today. Sign up from the message in your FordPass app.

We signed up with our Fusion Energi in July, promptly got approved, and received our $50 gift card in the mail. There have been 5 times since 8/3 where a Do Not Charge event occurred. Zero impacted us.

For those that question DTE having access to your data, keep in mind if you used DTE's $500 charger rebate, you already granted that access.

Even if you override every notice, you make $50.

You'll know the application is processing when minutes later your preferred charging hours will be updated, they simply add DTE in front of the location name, i.e. DTE - Home.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I got the same offer and wasn't sure I'd qualify. I'm already on the DTE Time-of-Use rate plan where we charge only during off-peak periods (11pm to 9am on weekdays or anytime on weekends).

When they do the do-not-charge events... what sort of things triggered this?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got the same offer and wasn't sure I'd qualify. I'm already on the DTE Time-of-Use rate plan where we charge only during off-peak periods (11pm to 9am on weekdays or anytime on weekends).

When they do the do-not-charge events... what sort of things triggered this?
They don't tell you what the reason is.

I am on Time of Use also. You can't sign up for DTE's Bring Your Own Charger discount plan, but you can sign up for this one.

Looking at the history (this is for our Fusion Energi, which is unplugged, sitting in the driveway, awaiting sale):

Ford Mustang Mach-E DTE Smart Charge Incentive dte dnc 1.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E DTE Smart Charge Incentive dte dnc 2.PNG

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just got confirmation of my acceptance today.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
A few minutes ago I received this notice from DTE:

There is a CHARGE event in the DTE territory from 05:00 PM on 09/29 until 07:00 PM on 09/29. Reply OPTOUT to override or HELP for help.​
Normally the noticed have all been 'DO NOT CHARGE' events ... this is the first time I have received a 'CHARGE' event notice.

As I understand, they'll trigger a 'CHARGE' event to help dump excess capacity from the grid in the event that energy supplied from renewable sources exceeds demand.

So I have two questions (for anyone that has gone through a 'CHARGE' event):

1. I normally cap my daily charge at 80%. Does a 'CHARGE' event trigger the car to charge above the cap ... or would it charge only if it were below the cap that I set?

2. I'm on a Time-of-Use rate. The normal residential rate on DTE is 15-17¢/kWh. On the EV ToU plan it's 11¢ if I charge off-peak but 24¢ if I charge on-peak. Since the 'CHARGE' event is not during the off-peak schedule (even though they have an excess in capacity) do they end up charging me 24¢ if I let the car charge because it isn't after 11pm on a weekday?

I sent an email to DTE via [email protected] with questions but I don't know that I'll hear back in time.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a charge event for the 20th at midnight, which lasted until 2AM. First time it hit during my charge hours (I think), and it did indeed push the car from 90% to 100%. Not happy about that.

I have my charger set to only provide charging during my off-peak hours (7PM - 11AM M-F and all day weekends), so no matter what DTE does the charger isn't going to let it happen.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Received my $50 DTE gift card on Saturday. Unlike the one mailed for my Fusion Energi, which came from a source I didn't recognize (and I had to ask DTE), this one was clearly identified.

On a side note, in addition to the charge event I posted prior pushing my car from it's 90% target to 100%, I've discovered that while I can go for a ride on a Saturday and then charge up, if I do so on a Sunday it won't start charging until midnight. Not a big problem, not even a small problem, because it normally recovers to 90% before 1AM. If I came home empty on a Sunday, then it still probably wouldn't be much of an issue.

Anyone else experiencing that?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just got my second $50 gift card email. Easy $100. Plus easy $100 for the Fusion Energi we sold...

Wonder if they'll have an incentive in 2022 to continue?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope, program ended.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bumping this for new Mach-E owners. If you live in a DTE service area, you can get paid $100 ($50 now, $50 in May 2023) for participating in this program.
Sponsored