Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
No additional brake wear: Normally when EV's regen they only use the drive axle(s) and the other ones freewheel--they don't engage the friction brakes.
Well braking a heavier car by nature results in more brake wear. Of course whether the difference in wear is appreciable depends on how much weight difference we're talking about.

I just looked up my own question and the extra electric motor on the AWD model probably only adds about 70 pounds of weight. That's how much a Tesla motor weighs. So the AWD Mach-E won' t much if any difference in brake wear compared to the RWD Mach-E. ?
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Well braking a heavier car by nature results in more brake wear. Of course whether the difference in wear is appreciable depends on how much weight difference we're talking about.

I just looked up my own question and the extra electric motor on the AWD model probably only adds about 70 pounds of weight. That's how much a Tesla motor weighs. So the AWD Mach-E won' t much if any difference in brake wear compared to the RWD Mach-E. ?
In general: yes, but when you're in one pedal mode the car is going to use regen to bring the car almost to a stop. The brakes will only come on below 5mph or so--very very little brake wear.

Ranger Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BRZ, 4Runner
Occupation
Ranger
Country flag
Nissan is playing around with an AWD system on the Leaf+, dubbed e-4orce. Tom Voelk on YouTube got to do a comparison test of the 2WD vs AWD and the driving dynamic difference were pronounced. Engineers were able to have the vehicle not only handle better and improve performance with electric AWD, but also give passengers a superior ride. I bet Ford is all over this and we could likely see these differences in our cars.

Yes, when comparing AWD to 2WD front drive, AWD will be better.

But, in the case of RWD vs AWD, RWD is going to have the better driving dynamics and the same should apply to the Mach-E.

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
Yes, when comparing AWD to 2WD front drive, AWD will be better.

But, in the case of RWD vs AWD, RWD is going to have the better driving dynamics and the same should apply to the Mach-E.
But less traction overall. So depends on your driving style too. If you come from a RWD car and like a livelier back end feel then AWD might seem too buttoned down for you. For example, a RWD model won't be able to turn out into traffic and accelerate fully until the car is straight. If you give it full throttle you'll break traction and traction control will intervene. That doesn't happen with AWD (though some people prefer to be able to slide around).

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
just curious for those who've had the high tire wear with more powerful EVs, what tires are you using?

a few years ago, i went from all seasons (stock michelin mxm, cont dws) that were good for 25-30k miles to summer tires (conti sport, hankook ventus evo, etc) that got around 15k. admittedly i like to drive hard and only squeeze in 1-2 tire rotations each set so i was getting much less than the 40-50k some might get on the all seasons and 20-25k from the summers. but i do prefer the grip and handling of summer tires.

am i going to only get 10k out of summer tires on the mach-e (or any more powerful EV)? that maybe a bit too much for my wife to handle so i'd consider going with performance all-seasons just for the additional durability. and probably replacing the rears at a 2:1 ratio?

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Will AWD regenerate more KW than RWD ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Will AWD regenerate more KW than RWD ?
I don't see any reason regeneration rate should be different between the two. However, the impact of regeneration on ride and handling should be better with AWD as it will be distributed across both axles.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
When I bought my Tesla Model S I agonized over RWD vs AWD, with only my past ICE car experience as a gauge. I asked the RWD vs AWD question over at the TMC forum and got varied responses, but with a common theme. What became clear from the responses was that a Tesla RWD S is not like any conventional ICE vehicle’s RWD. With a substantial portion of the car’s weight low to the ground and evenly distributed, the RWD is remarkably stable and unlike conventional RWD cars.

So with fingers crossed I went with the RWD to save some money. I also liked the greater simplicity, feeling there was plenty of power and enough traction with RWD based on the many responses I received. I can honestly say in 2 1/2 years of driving my S, I’ve never had an issue. The responses I got at the forum were on target. Granted I haven’t been out in blinding snowstorms with it, but I certainly have been out in driving rain, huge puddles and generally nasty weather. I have been continually impressed by the great traction for ‘just’ RWD. I’m sure the AWD moves it up a notch too, but never once have I caught myself saying, “Wish I had gotten the AWD”.

So going into the MME, I’m even more confident. However unlike the Tesla, I get the bonus of some added range with the RWD variant. With the Tesla I had to sacrifice a bit of range. For me it’s the right move and obviously others may feel differently. Choice is always good. Just wanted to share my experience with a BEV RWD configuration. :)

Cvdbos

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deleted my reservation
Occupation
Retired LtCol RNLA
Country flag
When I bought my Tesla Model S I agonized over RWD vs AWD, with only my past ICE car experience as a gauge. I asked the RWD vs AWD question over at the TMC forum and got varied responses, but with a common theme. What became clear from the responses was that a Tesla RWD S is not like any conventional ICE vehicle’s RWD. With a substantial portion of the car’s weight low to the ground and evenly distributed, the RWD is remarkably stable and unlike conventional RWD cars.

So with fingers crossed I went with the RWD to save some money. I also liked the greater simplicity, feeling there was plenty of power and enough traction with RWD based on the many responses I received. I can honestly say in 2 1/2 years of driving my S, I’ve never had an issue. The responses I got at the forum were on target. Granted I haven’t been out in blinding snowstorms with it, but I certainly have been out in driving rain, huge puddles and generally nasty weather. I have been continually impressed by the great traction for ‘just’ RWD. I’m sure the AWD moves it up a notch too, but never once have I caught myself saying, “Wish I had gotten the AWD”.

So going into the MME, I’m even more confident. However unlike the Tesla, I get the bonus of some added range with the RWD variant. With the Tesla I had to sacrifice a bit of range. For me it’s the right move and obviously others may feel differently. Choice is always good. Just wanted to share my experience with a BEV RWD configuration. :)
Ken, thank you for your story. I'm still wrestling with the same choice.
This helps me a bit further along that road.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Not that I expect many problems, but dual motor AWD gives you a redundant drive train if one of the motors fails.
To be fair, failure of one of these electric motors while driving, at least in the world of Tesla, is exceedingly rare. I doubt it will be much different with the MME. I'd never base a decision on the chances of a motor failure and redundancy...but that's me.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
As we don't really get that much 'bad' weather this side of the pond AWD is not that much of a necessity. I have had 2 AWD Kuga's over the past 5 years and I think that I have been pleased of the AWD possibly twice in that time. I originally ordered the SR RWD MME but soon realised that the level of specs for that was not what I wanted. Could only get what I wanted on the ER versions so because of the extra cost involved and the fact that AWD is not really needed here I changed my order for the ER RWD

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Sounds like a design flaw. I hope Ford doesn't copy Tesla if this is how they do it.
Sponsored