Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
A case for AWD, you have stopped at a wide spot for some reason and the car is off the pavement. The highway is busy and the speeds rather high. There are few opportunities to enter the highway and aggressive acceleration is required when there is but the car is on gravel and has no traction.

With AWD there would be better traction and you might even be able to get the front axel on the pavement before finding that opportunity to enter the highway.
Sponsored

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I think the front axel is live during high power demand even when the rear axel has traction. But I see what you mean for cornering it might be better to have full time AWD.

Rod m

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan leaf
Country flag
I've found that the traction control systems in EVs work far better than the ones on ICE vehicles (instant throttle response anyone) and thus will be sticking with the longest range RWD version (even though I'm in Michigan).

I want to keep with the trend that my new BEV has longer range than my old BEV which means that if/when I get a Mach-E it has to have longer range than my 238 mile Bolt :)
I agree I want it to react like a mustang so to has to be RWD?

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I've found that the traction control systems in EVs work far better than the ones on ICE vehicles (instant throttle response anyone) and thus will be sticking with the longest range RWD version (even though I'm in Michigan).

I want to keep with the trend that my new BEV has longer range than my old BEV which means that if/when I get a Mach-E it has to have longer range than my 238 mile Bolt :)
Jamie, I doubt you'll be disappointed. I live in NY and have been driving the Model S with RWD for the last 2 1/2 years. I've never had an issue. RWD on BEVs, with their extremely low center of gravity, resulting from the very heavy, low mounted battery packs, provide a stability that's not even close to conventional ICE vehicles with RWD. It's just a different animal.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I find it hard to believe with all the members on this site that there is only 48 actually preordered/getting a MME. Come on guys/gals, get voting and let us see what the favourite configuration is

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
I find it hard to believe with all the members on this site that there is only 48 actually preordered/getting a MME. Come on guys/gals, get voting and let us see what the favourite configuration is
Unless you have reason to believe that customers of either the AWD or the RWD specifically (but not both equally) are refraining from voting, then the result is what you already see above. 48 voters is a big enough sample to get a pretty good approximation.

So, AWD is the favourite by a wide margin.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Any opinions about stopping distance under ABS (or its equivalence)? This is a safety issue for me. Since I live in SoCal, winter weather driving is rarely a concern, but if AWD stops faster that RWD, then that might be worth it for me. I have the ER/RWD Premium on pre-order and would be very interested in your comments. I know my Kona Electric stops much quicker than my Ford CMax Energi did. Kona of course is FWD only, but the traction/weight shifts to the front during an E-Stop, so the combination of emotor braking and friction braking brings the car to a very quick stop.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Any opinions about stopping distance under ABS (or its equivalence)? This is a safety issue for me. Since I live in SoCal, winter weather driving is rarely a concern, but if AWD stops faster that RWD, then that might be worth it for me. I have the ER/RWD Premium on pre-order and would be very interested in your comments. I know my Kona Electric stops much quicker than my Ford CMax Energi did. Kona of course is FWD only, but the traction/weight shifts to the front during an E-Stop, so the combination of emotor braking and friction braking brings the car to a very quick stop.
RWD/AWD should have minimal stopping differences. AWD is only useful for acceleration traction but just like any other car, all four tires are used to stop.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
i am not an engineer by any means but I too live in SoCal. Bakersfield to be exact. My wife and I drive 25,000 miles EACH. She commutes over the grapevine 3-4 days a week. I drive both in town and over the grapevine as well. I will ONLY own AWD. I have no idea about stopping distances but the overall drive is completely different. I can accelerate or move from one lane to the other much quicker. In rain and wind as well as snow the car handles on a completely different level. I feel safer in AWD. I have had both front and rear wheel drive and AWD is the best of both worlds. It gives you way more confidence then the other possibilities. With AWD for me I feel safer as the car responds at a much faster pace. I think change lanes and the car is there. I truly believe it is much better at avoiding accidents. Under/oversteer is irrelevant. You move the steering wheel just a tad and the wheels move. What makes the MME AWD to a new level is that both axels are completely independent giving you even more agility. The difference in range is 30 miles. I can live with that loss.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Found this from Edmunds. Seems to echo what several posters are saying about how important tires are and the advantages of AWD.

"Michelin tested this scenario a few years ago. The study found that a front-wheel-drive car with winter tires outperformed the AWD car with all-season tires in nearly every test. The AWD vehicle had the edge in acceleration, but when it came time to hit the brakes, its braking distance was significantly longer than the front-wheel-drive vehicle. Of course, if the AWD vehicle had a full set of winter tires, it would be the hands-down winner, but this test goes to show you the importance of choosing the proper tires."

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Found this from Edmunds. Seems to echo what several posters are saying about how important tires are and the advantages of AWD.

"Michelin tested this scenario a few years ago. The study found that a front-wheel-drive car with winter tires outperformed the AWD car with all-season tires in nearly every test. The AWD vehicle had the edge in acceleration, but when it came time to hit the brakes, its braking distance was significantly longer than the front-wheel-drive vehicle. Of course, if the AWD vehicle had a full set of winter tires, it would be the hands-down winner, but this test goes to show you the importance of choosing the proper tires."
tires Are crucial regardless of the car. Having the right Tires is equivalent to having great speakers on a stereo system. I have Yokohama tires on my 2017 Fusion Sport AWD. The car came from Ford with Goodyear tires. They lasted 15,000 miles and the car drove like any car. I replaced them at 15,000 when they wore out with the Yokohama’s and WOW what a difference. I now have 42,000 and the tires still have nearly the same tread depth as when new. When I had to replace the tires on my 2017 Ford Explorer 4 WD I went back to my same place Tire America I thought I would get the same brand. They told me oh no I would be better with a different brand. Again the car drives great. In short when buying tires find an expert that you trust and use their recommendations. Not all tire manufacturers make the best tire for every application.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
i am not an engineer by any means but I too live in SoCal. Bakersfield to be exact. My wife and I drive 25,000 miles EACH. She commutes over the grapevine 3-4 days a week. I drive both in town and over the grapevine as well. I will ONLY own AWD. I have no idea about stopping distances but the overall drive is completely different. I can accelerate or move from one lane to the other much quicker. In rain and wind as well as snow the car handles on a completely different level. I feel safer in AWD. I have had both front and rear wheel drive and AWD is the best of both worlds. It gives you way more confidence then the other possibilities. With AWD for me I feel safer as the car responds at a much faster pace. I think change lanes and the car is there. I truly believe it is much better at avoiding accidents. Under/oversteer is irrelevant. You move the steering wheel just a tad and the wheels move. What makes the MME AWD to a new level is that both axels are completely independent giving you even more agility. The difference in range is 30 miles. I can live with that loss.
Have you ever driven a Model S RWD in bad weather? I’m betting not. ;)

The enormous battery weight, slung so far down, provides a far lower center of gravity that has a dramatic impact on handling. You have to own one to understand it essentially makes you throw away everything you’ve experienced before with traditional ICE vehicle dynamics. I was repeatedly told this by Tesla owners when I was considering my Tesla, but it wasn’t until I drove my own S in a blinding rainstorm that I realized they were on target.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you’ll get that extra measure of handling with AWD, but RWD in an electric car like this is probably more akin to AWD in a conventional car....if it’s anything like a Tesla.

After having driven my S for 2 1/2 years, range has become more important to me over other parameters. Tesla owners, shopping for their second Tesla, often have the same priority, range.

There’s no right or wrong choice, it’s more a question of what you’re comfortable with.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

"Of course, if the AWD vehicle had a full set of winter tires, it would be the hands-down winner, but this test goes to show you the importance of choosing the proper tires."
This was why we had two sets of tires for our Outback when we lived in Colorado.
Outback + winter tires = awesome!

Ginger

First Name
Ginger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
buying Mach E, own 2012 Lexus hybrid
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Country flag
For me it was always going to be the RWD. I live near Palm Springs, and yes, we do occasionally get some rain, but my current car deals with it well. I needed the range. I drive all over California inspecting health facilities, this car is going to be a real game changer for me!

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I drove in a heavy snow climate for 20+ years and now live in a pretty warm climate. Snow is rare and a big deal when it happens every 5 years now. In my opinion, AWD was a confidence booster in the snow, but the "go" part isn't usually the problem... the "stop" part is what matters. AWD didn't help or hurt that.

For my choice of RWD, it came down to two factors. First, it was what was available to me without waiting. I literally walked into the dealer to talk about ordering and see what trade-in value I might get and was surprised that my Mach-E had just become available due to a cancelation.

Second, when I thought about Ford's battery warranty of 8 years/100K miles with 70% retention, I figured the positive side of 213+ miles of range under warranty probably offset the RWD vs. AWD concern that I had.
Sponsored