Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Fraud Analyst
Country flag
Admin Edit:
Ford has shared that 3/4 of all Mach-E reservations are for AWD models. Vote in the poll -- did you reserve an AWD or RWD model?

Original post by @Pirelli73

Besides the obvious, what are the pros of a dual motor versus RWD? I'm curious if the extra 20 miles of range on the RWD is worth it.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Depends... If one lives in snow country, then having AWD is worth it. Minimized torque steer issues with dual motors?
Could/should be.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm in the same boat right now- I'd like the AWD for slushy/icy winter roads, but the added cost plus reduced range had me initially leaning toward RWD. Ultimately I decided the range difference probably wouldn't matter since you get a 30%-40% drop in range in winter and 25-30% drop in range on the highway - which decreases the difference to a negligible 10 to 14 miles. I'm leaning toward the AWD for that reason.

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Even in the harshest climates, you typically only really need AWD maybe 5 days a year ... so in my mind I’d rather save the additional expense and enjoy the mileage gains of RWD.

Follow on question - has the weight distribution of the Mach E been published

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Even in the harshest climates, you typically only really need AWD maybe 5 days a year ... so in my mind I’d rather save the additional expense and enjoy the mileage gains of RWD.

Follow on question - has the weight distribution of the Mach E been published
Don’t forget AWD helps in wet (rainy) not just snowy conditions. So it’s better for more than 5 days a year.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I've found that the traction control systems in EVs work far better than the ones on ICE vehicles (instant throttle response anyone) and thus will be sticking with the longest range RWD version (even though I'm in Michigan).

I want to keep with the trend that my new BEV has longer range than my old BEV which means that if/when I get a Mach-E it has to have longer range than my 238 mile Bolt :)

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks like the AWD is a little faster 0-60

OP
OP
Pirelli73

Pirelli73

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Fraud Analyst
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've been on the fence about wether the added cost is justifiable. I like the faster 0-60 and the traction in snow and rain. Also the hardware statement. The Mach E AWD range is 210 with a 76 kWh battery, the Tesla Model Y AWD range is 280 with a 75 kwh battery. So this tells me and correct me if I'm wrong, the potential range of the Mach E AWD to reach 280 miles of range is based on the software. So it would be a better choice to get the AWD based on this statement if "possible" range extension and traction control is your concern?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The target range numbers that Ford is providing is based on a mixed use case. In the city, you'll get far more range than the target and on the freeway you'll get far less. Best guess right now is to anticipate a 30-40+ min charging stop every 140-160mi on a road trip.

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
The AWD is important to mitigate torque steer and wheel spin. Because EV's have instant max torque, EV's without AWD can more easily spin tires at launch, so you will have the fastest launch with AWD; I have often encountered that with my FWD Fusion Energi, need to ease onto the accelerator at start. RWD

NEMuskRat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Delorean, 2007 SC Mustang, 2018 F150 FX4, 2019 Escape
Occupation
Electron Beam Eng
Country flag
Another level over this thought, I am in New England and found that I can not get up my driveway in snow if I do not have AWD or aggressive snow tires on the vehicle.
I have a hill, curve and 700+ feet to go which really sucks to walk up & clear before bringing vehicle up.
I have seen other car companies provide high mileage vehicles with lower tread tires for fuel economy. I also had a 1014 Fusion Titanium Hybrid that would not make it up with factory tires.
Does anyone that has seen the Mach e know if the factory supplied tires that are more "fuel effecient" or are they normal all season?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've been on the fence about wether the added cost is justifiable. I like the faster 0-60 and the traction in snow and rain. Also the hardware statement. The Mach E AWD range is 210 with a 76 kWh battery, the Tesla Model Y AWD range is 280 with a 75 kwh battery. So this tells me and correct me if I'm wrong, the potential range of the Mach E AWD to reach 280 miles of range is based on the software. So it would be a better choice to get the AWD based on this statement if "possible" range extension and traction control is your concern?
Not true at all. The weight, aerodynamics, and battery chemistry all contribute to efficiency. Tesla uses aluminum frames and a slightly different battery chemistry. Their software also does reserve less of the battery as a "buffer", which is what ford could do to add range when new

NEMuskRat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Delorean, 2007 SC Mustang, 2018 F150 FX4, 2019 Escape
Occupation
Electron Beam Eng
Country flag
Not true at all. The weight, aerodynamics, and battery chemistry all contribute to efficiency. Tesla uses aluminum frames and a slightly different battery chemistry. Their software also does reserve less of the battery as a "buffer", which is what ford could do to add range when new
I quote for work.
Are both calculations using the same liberal or conservative formulas?
Is there a standard that is used for these calculations?
I am usually conservative when I calculate to make sure the customer is always better off but find that competitor are more liberal with their calculations.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I quote for work.
Are both calculations using the same liberal or conservative formulas?
Is there a standard that is used for these calculations?
I am usually conservative when I calculate to make sure the customer is always better off but find that competitor are more liberal with their calculations.
We don't know any of those things, so the assumption that roughly the same sized battery in the 2 cars can yield the same range is flawed. It will take empirical data to know if the E can get the same range as the Y.
Sponsored