Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Another level over this thought, I am in New England and found that I can not get up my driveway in snow if I do not have AWD or aggressive snow tires on the vehicle.
I have a hill, curve and 700+ feet to go which really sucks to walk up & clear before bringing vehicle up.
I have seen other car companies provide high mileage vehicles with lower tread tires for fuel economy. I also had a 1014 Fusion Titanium Hybrid that would not make it up with factory tires.
Does anyone that has seen the Mach e know if the factory supplied tires that are more "fuel effecient" or are they normal all season?
I have a similar driveway issue except it is even longer. When I bought my Lincoln SUV I was sure my 4WD wasn't working properly because the snow\ice performance was downright scary. Someone suggested I change the factory all-weather tires for proper winter tires (Not studded). The difference was night and day. It is as much about tires as it is 4WD, especially when you consider the rubbish all-purpose OEM tires most new cars come with- fine for dry and a little rain but borderline unsafe in extreme weather.

The thread started with "besides the obvious", but I really like the idea of having a "spare" motor. What happens in an ICE car when your engine fails? Call a tow truck. Two motors - no problem. How much more would an ICE vehicle cost if it had two motors? (and not only would you not have a frunk, you wouldn't have a trunk either)
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Another level over this thought, I am in New England and found that I can not get up my driveway in snow if I do not have AWD or aggressive snow tires on the vehicle.
I have a hill, curve and 700+ feet to go which really sucks to walk up & clear before bringing vehicle up.
I have seen other car companies provide high mileage vehicles with lower tread tires for fuel economy. I also had a 1014 Fusion Titanium Hybrid that would not make it up with factory tires.
Does anyone that has seen the Mach e know if the factory supplied tires that are more "fuel effecient" or are they normal all season?
Its not clear what tires will be supplied stock with the cars. For the Premium display prototypes, they're sporting Bridgestone Turanza T005 tires in 225/55/R19. Tirerack says those are summer touring tires and they have a variant with noise reducing foam which is what an EV would run with. However, I am not sure that Ford will sell this vehicle without All Seasons.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I also have a hill on the drive way. Much easier with 4wd. In snow covered roads, and allows you to hold a steady pace and not speed up prior to long hill. Yes, I use Michelin winter tires and put them on my current winter vehicle.

Last edited:

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I have a similar driveway issue except it is even longer. When I bought my Lincoln SUV I was sure my 4WD wasn't working properly because the snow\ice performance was downright scary. Someone suggested I change the factory all-weather tires for proper winter tires (Not studded). The difference was night and day. It is as much about tires as it is 4WD, especially when you consider the rubbish all-purpose OEM tires most new cars come with- fine for dry and a little rain but borderline unsafe in extreme weather.

The thread started with "besides the obvious", but I really like the idea of having a "spare" motor. What happens in an ICE car when your engine fails? Call a tow truck. Two motors - no problem. How much more would an ICE vehicle cost if it had two motors? (and not only would you not have a frunk, you wouldn't have a trunk either)

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
It seems that tires are often overlooked as a key part of the traction issue, AWD with highway tires is not a great combination in this situation. Ice is best navigated with winter tires (lots of siping), but for snow and rain a high performance all season tire along with the AWD is sufficient in most cases. Tirerack.com has some good charts showing which tires work better in particular situations (dry, wet, snow, etc). I typically go with a high performance all season tire. The "energy" tires that come on many EVs are good for better mileage, but weak for wet/snow.
I have Continental Extremecontact DWS on my Clarity. I had Goodyear TripleTreds on my previous Subarus. We often have wet roads is my main reason. In 10 years plus of driving my Subarus on wet roads, I only slid one time, when my tires were very worn.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I want to say this about Mr. Musk. He is a liar at best. Case in point. The 3 series was offered years before it actually arrived. You had to put down a $1000 deposit to get on the list. yes it was refundable but the reason why is the same as for the new cyber truck. He dis not have the cash to actually build it. he had to show all of those deposits to get the bank to give him the money that he needed. I am an insurance agent. Today in southern Cali if you order the $60,000 # series you can get it in about 24-48 hours. If you order the base version it takes 6-8 weeks? Why?? Because simply put they do not make them. They want to sell only the expensive ones. This is the WHY I never bought a Tesla. Actually there are other issues as well like you can only get it fixed AT A Tesla body shop because Tesla will NOT sell ANY parts to a non-Tesla shop. In short when it comes to Tesla be VERY careful about what you read. I have too many clients who have buyers remorse after purchasing the car.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I find this interesting. ...
Excellent. Certainly matches with my experience. I noticed the Brits called them "summer" tires. The misleading US moniker is "all season" or "all weather" tires when, in fact, they are neither.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I want to say this about Mr. Musk. He is a liar at best. Case in point. The 3 series was offered years before it actually arrived. You had to put down a $1000 deposit to get on the list. yes it was refundable but the reason why is the same as for the new cyber truck. He dis not have the cash to actually build it. he had to show all of those deposits to get the bank to give him the money that he needed. I am an insurance agent. Today in southern Cali if you order the $60,000 # series you can get it in about 24-48 hours. If you order the base version it takes 6-8 weeks? Why?? Because simply put they do not make them. They want to sell only the expensive ones. This is the WHY I never bought a Tesla. Actually there are other issues as well like you can only get it fixed AT A Tesla body shop because Tesla will NOT sell ANY parts to a non-Tesla shop. In short when it comes to Tesla be VERY careful about what you read. I have too many clients who have buyers remorse after purchasing the car.
His PR posts are often more for upticking the stock price than reality. Tesla has promised full self driving for some time-owners have to pay for hardware when obtaining the vehicle but the system needs more software upgrades and possible hardware. There is no full self driving yet and it does not appear to occur within the next six months. That is called fraud.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Although I don't disagree with most of what you said, to be fair they are in much better shape financially than they were at the model 3 reveal and the price to reserve a cybertruck is only $100 (but a model Y is $2,500 refundable). Also, as they could only produce so many vehicles at first, can you really blame them for concentrating on selling the more expensive models first...? They are mostly past that (only recently has supply caught up with demand), and so I don't think the lead time is so different between trim levels of the 3 anymore. It was not good customer service that they would sell higher end vehicles to those without a reservation before those who paid money down, but that doesn't make him a liar.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
His PR posts are often more for upticking the stock price than reality. Tesla has promised full self driving for some time-owners have to pay for hardware when obtaining the vehicle but the system needs more software upgrades and possible hardware. There is no full self driving yet and it does not appear to occur within the next six months. That is called fraud.
That is not called fraud as no where did he state it was ready, and it's called early access. He implied it will cost more once released. Also the hardware is included in the base Tesla vehicles. Ordering it doesn't get you any extra hardware with the vehicle. I supposed it gives you insurance in that if it requires a hardware upgrade it will be included, but current plan is you can add it later to a car you didn't purchase with it (potentially at a higher cost). If it was fraud, don't you think there would be a class action law suite already?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From the Tesla motor club forum: According to the screen, FSD was purchased twice. So yes, the car should have FSD. And if the car has FSD, then you will get the HW3 upgrade at some point. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fsd-question.181468/ for a 2016 vehicle.

You pay for FSD and all the software and hardware does not exist when you pay for it. Who says all of it will be in your vehicle in three-four-five years or more? You might wreck the vehicle before then and the paid FSD goes in the trash can. You could sell and the FSD price was never utilized.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You pay for FSD and all the software and hardware does not exist when you pay for it. Who says all of it will be in your vehicle in three-four-five years or more? You might wreck the vehicle before then and the paid FSD goes in the trash can. You could sell and the FSD price was never utilized.
Right, older cars have to get the hardware upgrade (free if the paid for FSD). Newer cars already come with the upgraded hardware, although that doesn't mean it will not have to be upgraded again, and the software definitely isn't ready...

Tesla full self driving is a risk, just like anything on kickstarter, or really any other early adopter tech. There is a good chance you will pay more than if you wait, also a good chance nothing viable will come out of it, or you get some toy that loses support soon after it's released. To me, that feature would be a bit risky for my disposable income...

My main point was that I think it's clear from Tesla what it is where they order it, and no way falls under what any reasonable person would claim as fraud. Fraud you would have to show they never intended to create the viable feature, but there is evidence they are working on it.

So, anyway... how about AWD vs RWD on the Mach-E?
Back on topic...

In my opinion I think AWD is the better option (and have on reserve) for the extra performance (although sub 6 seconds is rarely if ever needed), it can be more fun to drive (not a plus for everyone). If you drive a lot, best to make it enjoyable, along with the occasional days with snow or ice or mud, change your 2% chance of getting stuck to under 1%. I assume it would also better if you will ever tow anything (assuming it's possible), but range is really too limited to anything but a short trip if towing... That said, 10% more distance is a lot to give up, so it's certainly not an easy choice.
Sponsored