Did you reserve AWD or RWD Mach-E?

• Total voters

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Nissan is playing around with an AWD system on the Leaf+, dubbed e-4orce. Tom Voelk on YouTube got to do a comparison test of the 2WD vs AWD and the driving dynamic difference were pronounced. Engineers were able to have the vehicle not only handle better and improve performance with electric AWD, but also give passengers a superior ride. I bet Ford is all over this and we could likely see these differences in our cars.

Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Right, older cars have to get the hardware upgrade (free if the paid for FSD). Newer cars already come with the upgraded hardware, although that doesn't mean it will not have to be upgraded again, and the software definitely isn't ready...

Tesla full self driving is a risk, just like anything on kickstarter, or really any other early adopter tech. There is a good chance you will pay more than if you wait, also a good chance nothing viable will come out of it, or you get some toy that loses support soon after it's released. To me, that feature would be a bit risky for my disposable income...

My main point was that I think it's clear from Tesla what it is where they order it, and no way falls under what any reasonable person would claim as fraud. Fraud you would have to show they never intended to create the viable feature, but there is evidence they are working on it.

Back on topic...

In my opinion I think AWD is the better option (and have on reserve) for the extra performance (although sub 6 seconds is rarely if ever needed), it can be more fun to drive (not a plus for everyone). If you drive a lot, best to make it enjoyable, along with the occasional days with snow or ice or mud, change your 2% chance of getting stuck to under 1%. I assume it would also better if you will ever tow anything (assuming it's possible), but range is really too limited to anything but a short trip if towing... That said, 10% more distance is a lot to give up, so it's certainly not an easy choice.
Occasional days-like living close to where 238 inches of snow a year is average?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From tesla motor club:
I think Tesla removed FSD as an option on current orders as they may have realized selling FSD without, what they will soon claim is "required" for FSD (i.e. the new hardware, amounts to fraud potentially. They cannot claim they have an expectation that FSD will work with the hardware as sold in current cars any longer after they announced the new hardware, particularly when they used words like "with full redundancy and fail-over" implying this cannot be achieved with 2.X hardware as it is currently being sold.

Just my guess, but if you look at the class action lawsuit they lost regarding EAP and FSD in 2.0 cars, this is close to the finding of the case, where Tesla was found to have no expectation they could deliver the features claimed with the hardware delivered essentially. The finding was also linked to consumer's decision to purchase based on these features becoming available shortly. If you couple these two it makes sense to move FSD to an aftermarket option as it is no longer linked to the vehicle purchase decision directly and circumvents similar claims potentially.

Full disclosure; I am not an attorney, just seems like a reasonable reason to move FSD to an aftermarket option.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I think it simply comes down to cost and where you live.
I too have been torn with this debate. I have reserved an ER/AWD, but have been debating just going with RWD.
I had driven a '94 Crown Victoria until 2017, and I currently pilot either my 2012 Mustang GT or my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis as my daily drivers.

As bad as RWD cars are believed to be (mostly driver issues more than the RWD itself) in snowy conditions, I drove my Vic for almost a decade as a 'one-tire-fryer' until I had 'stupid money' and upgraded her to a Traction-Lok to have both wheels pushing. Even with the open differential (one wheel pushing) I had never been stuck driving her and I live in central PA.

I also added a Traction-Lok to my Merc when I got her and I can unequivocally say, that while the 'one-tire-fryer' Vic never left me sit through many a winters, having two tires pushing literally changed the dynamic of those cars for the better. I am convinced that if all those 'boats' or 'big cars' came equipped with Traction-Loks, they wouldn't get such a bad wrap.

ANYWAY. I think if you're in a 'moderate' wintery climate as I am in central PA, you could definitely get away with just RWD, as only on rare occasions would RWD leave you in a lerch and unable to motor on.
With both wheels pushing and traction control, along with the low-slung weight of the batteries, I truly believe you'd be just fine with RWD.
But going AWD drive if you can or just want to wouldn't be a bad decision.
Now, in other locations, like the Mid/Upper West or New England States I think AWD should be more of a consideration however, my cousin lives close to his work place at Ford, and he's driven a V8 Mustang for his 20+ years at Ford and has never had a problem... but granted he is in a more 'urban' area... so he's also not in the middle of the Michigan Bush.

I have absolutely no qualms going with RWD, however, because of my wife's input, we opted for the ER/AWD. She doesn't drive my Merc or Mustang nearly enough to feel comfortable with RWD as I do, her Expedition is obviously RWD but her 4-Wheel Drive with weather modes is just a click away.
I do not like the slight decrease in range that comes with ER/AWD, but I can't say I don't appreciate the slight increase in performance that comes with the dual motor, but I'm not sure that modest increase is worth that price. LOL.
So really, would like to switch to RWD when the time comes to save some coin, but if the wife would like AWD to feel safer AND she's willing to handle the cost, I guess I can live with the extra motor. LOL. As some one said earlier, #FirstWorldProblems

Sorry. that was a lot to type, now that I look at it. Oh well.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
@Dmcerm I recommend you keep wife feeling safe, it's by far more important than all other factors in this decision.
A very wise sentiment. I find that the adage "if mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy" is very accurate.

BTW, this year marks my 32nd year of marriage....

Last edited:

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Bimmers and 2 Minis
Country flag
I would choose the drivetrain that makes the most sense for my uses and show my wife some videos from tirerack.com and explain that her actual safety will be 95%+ due to having dedicated winter tires for stopping and turning, which AWD does not assist. RWD with winter tires> AWD without winter tires. AWD is a convenience by adding assistance to getting moving, again, presuming the tires are capable of sufficient traction on snow/ice. Safety = tires, the only part of the car intended to connect with the outside world. (41 years married!)

OP
OP
Pirelli73

Pirelli73

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Fraud Analyst
Country flag
A very wise sentiment. I find that the adage "if mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy" is very accurate.

BTW, this year marks my 32nd year of marriage....

Happy Anniversary!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, anyway... how about AWD vs RWD on the Mach-E?
I went into this thinking I wanted maximum range (RWD ER). But after learning more, I'm now convinced I won't be using it on road trips (since I'll always have an ICE vehicle too that won't require so much road trip compromise). Without range as a consideration anymore, getting the AWD seems like a slam-dunk decision, especially in a climate that gets winter weather or much rain. A $2700 upcharge for AWD is a good price, even at ICE vehicle standards.

I would only go with RWD if (a) money were really tight, or (b) my daily usage pattern was really pushing the range limits (like, say, 200 miles/day).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do not like the slight decrease in range that comes with ER/AWD, but I can't say I don't appreciate the slight increase in performance that comes with the dual motor, but I'm not sure that modest increase is worth that price. LOL.
So really, would like to switch to RWD when the time comes to save some coin, but if the wife would like AWD to feel safer AND she's willing to handle the cost, I guess I can live with the extra motor. LOL. As some one said earlier, #FirstWorldProblems
My decision-point has shifted from whether or not to get AWD (I now will, even though I initially reserved RWD for range), but whether to even bother with the $5000 ER battery. That seemed like an "of course" choice at first, but not any more. I learned that high speed is a such a killer of BEV efficiency that range at 75 MPH will kinda suck on either battery, to the point that I now expect the Mach-e to solely be my around-home car. In which case I can save the $5000 by not getting the ER battery pack.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have been vacillating between the 2, but yesterday I realized I have been driving rear wheel drive mustangs (with almost no weight over drive wheels) for 24+ years and a couple of others for another 4 or 5 years. With most of the weight in the middle and the motor over the back, the E shouldn't be any worse than my first 2 that were stick and had no traction control or ABS of any kind. I decided I am overthinking it, and will probably skip the AWD even though it will probably be a little more fun to drive on curvy roads.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I will only driver AWD. It drives completely different the either front or rea wheel drive. You have MUCH better control of the car even in sunny weather. I have a 2017 Fusion AWD Sport. Previously I had a 2015 Fusion Energy. Same car essentially but AWD. I live in California and drive from Bakersfield to LA up and over the mountain. Yes we get snow and rain, but what we get a LOT of is serious wind. My 2015 even with FWD you could feel like you were white knuckling the car to keep in the lane. With the AWD it seems to stay planted. yes you fell it but not that bad. We also have a 2017 Explorer Platinum 4WD and that expect for being a brick in the wind has zero issues. In short the AWD is worth the slightly less gas mileage/battery range for the safety factor. I look at AWD like tires. You can have a Ferrari but if you put $50 tires on it how valuable is your life???

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My experience with the 4WD (2005 Escape Hybrid) in snow covered roads is that one does not need to speed up approaching a hill, steady as she goes with the 4WD system as found in my Escape Hybrid. Since I had to dump that car in October due to rust, a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid replaced it with a third motor controlling the rear wheels. This is a fairly lame system in that it totally disengages at 15mph and will not engage again unless one "floors it". Toyota redesigned the software starting in 2019 to engage at higher speeds, for longer durations and more frequently. What we don't know is the software for the Mach E and how the 4WD is programed.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You don't get a Mustang to go slow.

The RWD variants go 0-60 in the mid-low six second range (ER is a bit slower than SR).
The AWD is up to a full second quicker.

Get the all-wheel drive.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
My experience with the 4WD (2005 Escape Hybrid) in snow covered roads is that one does not need to speed up approaching a hill, steady as she goes with the 4WD system as found in my Escape Hybrid. Since I had to dump that car in October due to rust, a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid replaced it with a third motor controlling the rear wheels. This is a fairly lame system in that it totally disengages at 15mph and will not engage again unless one "floors it". Toyota redesigned the software starting in 2019 to engage at higher speeds, for longer durations and more frequently. What we don't know is the software for the Mach E and how the 4WD is programed.
Hopefully we will be able to override the settings for how it behaves. The mach-e should allow more driver preferences than a RAV4, such as locking in AWD.
Sponsored