Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 BMW X1, '15 BMW 328d, '18 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My F150 is 4WD, my wife's 328d wagon is AWD, but my X1 (which the Mach-E will replace) is RWD. In Georgia AWD is mostly useless, and we've got a couple 4WD/AWD vehicles in the unlikely event that I need to drive to the store in an ice storm to fight for a loaf of bread. That being said, I'm going with AWD anyway though just for the extra torque on tap.

I don't get the comments about RWD not handling well and having torque steer. Those are FWD problems - some of the best handling cars in the world are RWD. I used to have an Acura TL Type S with a 6 spd manual - one of the most powerful FWD drive production cars ever built with a manual transmission. Now that car had torque steer - felt like almost getting kicked into the ditch when shifting hard into 2nd.
Sponsored

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I have a 2017Fusion AWD sport....it is AWD with power to ALL wheels at all speeds. I know because I recently drove over the grapevine on the I-5 out of LA with gusting winds at 60-70 MPH at 80 MPH and the car was awesome......Nothng to over ride. just drive the damn thing.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Hopefully we will be able to override the settings for how it behaves. The mach-e should allow more driver preferences than a RAV4, such as locking in AWD.
The 2013-2018 RAV4 Hybrid does not have a locking AWD system. It has a third (rear) motor to power the rear wheels when the system says to do it.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
The 2013-2018 RAV4 Hybrid does not have a locking AWD system. It has a third (rear) motor to power the rear wheels when the system says to do it.
Ford is true AWD. The difference between AWD and 4 WD with Ford is that the 4 WD has different versions....mud/rain and sleet/snow and desert sand and hill descent. You choose exactly which condition that you are in and the car changes for that specific situation. AWD is just that. IT has power to all 4 wheels and sensors detect the road surface and sends power to whichever wheel needs it.

NEMuskRat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Delorean, 2007 SC Mustang, 2018 F150 FX4, 2019 Escape
Occupation
Electron Beam Eng
Country flag
You don't get a Mustang to go slow.

The RWD variants go 0-60 in the mid-low six second range (ER is a bit slower than SR).
The AWD is up to a full second quicker.

Get the all-wheel drive.
I drive my Mustang slow. People can't appreciate what they can't see. :cool::D

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I drive my Mustang slow. People can't appreciate what they can't see. :cool::D
Just be sure to keep that Delorean below 88 mph.

UPDATE: And I should clarify that my post is not a criticism of the vehicle’s performance. Rather, it’s an 80s movie, nerdy reference aimed at those within the main bell curve of the survey regarding average age of forums participants.

Last edited:

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
As an owner/operator of a 1983 DeLorean too for 13 years, you talk about a car that never felt stable above 80, let alone 88 or 90, that was one! Now, don't mistake that to mean it wasn't good or reliable because it absolutely was. That car, despite being 30 years old, since I maintained it well, never left me sit... well one time it did when an idler pulley seized up, but that can happen to any car, but other than that, it was a most reliable car, despite what most people believe.
Don't get me wrong. I loved the car and it looked like it could go fast but was a dog. It handled well since it was so wide and low but it definitely was more of a looker than go-er!

I wouldn't mind an EV DeLorean...

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
As an owner/operator of a 1983 DeLorean too for 13 years, you talk about a car that never felt stable above 80, let alone 88 or 90, that was one! Now, don't mistake that to mean it wasn't good or reliable because it absolutely was. That car, despite being 30 years old, since I maintained it well, never left me sit... well one time it did when an idler pulley seized up, but that can happen to any car, but other than that, it was a most reliable car, despite what most people believe.
Don't get me wrong. I loved the car and it looked like it could go fast but was a dog. It handled well since it was so wide and low but it definitely was more of a looker than go-er!

I wouldn't mind an EV DeLorean...
I loved the look of that car. You can still buy a new one FYI. There is a company in Texas I think that bought up ALL of the inventory possible so that they can actually build a new one for a customer.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I loved the look of that car. You can still buy a new one FYI. There is a company in Texas I think that bought up ALL of the inventory possible so that they can actually build a new one for a customer.
Yes, myself and @NEMuskRat know DMC-Houston well. Even if you don't buy all your parts from Houston, they are the big dog on the block when it comes to DeLorean things and really, marketing the name and brand to help keep the car relevant. If I first played and then hit the lottery, I'd own one but sadly the price of those cars are a bit cost prohibitive. we could practically own a Select and a Premium Mach-E for the price of one 'new' DeLorean.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
yes, I think the battery underneath and the motor on the back will be more helpful for RWD than a traditional RWD ICE vehicle

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I've always wanted a Delorean. BTTF changed my life.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I've always wanted a Delorean. BTTF changed my life.
Well, @zhackwyatt, with between 25 to 35k you'd be able to find a very nice car that runs and drives well which may need some cosmetics but will serve you well. I saved starting in 7th grade and was finally able to purchase the summer going into my Sophomore year of college (June 14, 2001 - November of 2014), so "if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Mustangs are "aspirational cars" and they want the Mach-E to be one too, and setting your sites on a DeLorean is more than an attainable goal and it's aspirational!
So go 'em... "Live The Dream"!

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Well, @zhackwyatt, with between 25 to 35k you'd be able to find a very nice car that runs and drives well which may need some cosmetics but will serve you well. I saved starting in 7th grade and was finally able to purchase the summer going into my Sophomore year of college (June 14, 2001 - November of 2014), so "if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Mustangs are "aspirational cars" and they want the Mach-E to be one too, and setting your sites on a DeLorean is more than an attainable goal and it's aspirational!
So go 'em... "Live The Dream"!
EXTREMELY well said.