Sebounet

First Name
SĂ©bastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT 2018
Country flag
Besides the obvious, what are the pro's of a dual motor versus RWD? I'm curious if the extra 20 miles of range on the RWD is worth it.
Don t worry i drive a mustang GT all year long in Canada. Except when you take off it s little more slower than awd. But after if you know how to drive there is no problem. May be if you live somewhere with unplowed road for few days it will be much better.

the problem with electric cara and i have no experience with them, could be the uge torque that can come very fast. may be some people who drive tesla can comments ?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
the problem with electric cara and i have no experience with them, could be the uge torque that can come very fast. may be some people who drive tesla can comments ?
I've driven Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro PHEV (in electric mode). Neither of them had huge torque from a stop. The torque response from the pedal is programmable. On the MME, if a driver wants a more gradual pedal response, he could put the car in Whisper or Engage modes, instead of Unbridled.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've driven a Niro EV and Bolt EV, both are FWD and both have massive torque steer when you floor it. Contrast those with the dual motor and RWD Tesla Model 3s I've experienced and Model S 90Ds, none of which had torque steer.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
Depends... If one lives in snow country, then having AWD is worth it. Minimized torque steer issues with dual motors?
Could/should be.
Yes.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've driven Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro PHEV (in electric mode). Neither of them had huge torque from a stop. The torque response from the pedal is programmable. On the MME, if a driver wants a more gradual pedal response, he could put the car in Whisper or Engage modes, instead of Unbridled.
Be curious to see/feel the difference between those 3. Might be a nice option to have - the ability to dial it back like that. Anytime the roads are a little dicey, immediately switch it over to Whisper mode.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Another thing I didn't see mentioned is that you get regenerative braking on both axles, assuming they implement it that way. So you use less friction braking, minimizing brake wear, which is a very big benefit of regenerative braking.

Question is how does the RWD version distribute braking, regenerative at the back, but how much friction at the front?

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
@ab13 that's a great point.
That's one of the best things of a properly designed EV that we can look forward to as a maintenance benefit. Not changing brakes nearly as often just because of the one-pedal/regen capabilities.
An answer to that question of yours would be great to know.
Either way, I'm sure Ford will make that benefit just as good as a Tesla.
Great question!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Mach E AWD range is 210 with a 76 kWh battery, the Tesla Model Y AWD range is 280 with a 75 kwh battery. So this tells me and correct me if I'm wrong, the potential range of the Mach E AWD to reach 280 miles of range is based on the software.
The 280 mile Mach E AWD is an extended range model and uses a ~99 kWh battery pack. That's roughly the same range per kWh as the Select with the 75 kWh pack.

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
Another thing I didn't see mentioned is that you get regenerative braking on both axles, assuming they implement it that way. So you use less friction braking, minimizing brake wear, which is a very big benefit of regenerative braking.

Question is how does the RWD version distribute braking, regenerative at the back, but how much friction at the front?
Reading this brought a question to mind. How much does one of the motors weigh? An AWD model should weight more than RWD because of the extra motor, but is it by an amount that would negate the reduced brake wear from having brake regen on an extra axle.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Reading this brought a question to mind. How much does one of the motors weigh? An AWD model should weight more than RWD because of the extra motor, but is it by an amount that would negate the reduced brake wear from having brake regen on an extra axle.
No additional brake wear: Normally when EV's regen they only use the drive axle(s) and the other ones freewheel--they don't engage the friction brakes.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
The E with RWD and 75kWh battery is good buy with the tax incentives. I can't see why anyone would buy a Chevy Bolt instead.

Completely opposite situation without the tax incentives.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The E with RWD and 75kWh battery is good buy with the tax incentives. I can't see why anyone would buy a Chevy Bolt instead.

Some people at the margin could still be priced out of the base Mach-e in favor of the Bolt, as the base model MME minus $7500 is still $36k while you can get a base Bolt with current discounts for about $29k. But yeah, if one can afford $36k, I'd rather have the base Mach-e than any Bolt. (Assuming it proves to be the vehicle as promised.)

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Some people at the margin could still be priced out of the base Mach-e in favor of the Bolt, as the base model MME minus $7500 is still $36k while you can get a base Bolt with current discounts for about $29k. But yeah, if one can afford $36k, I'd rather have the base Mach-e than any Bolt. (Assuming it proves to be the vehicle as promised.)
That would be $10K less in California with fed+state incentives. That brings it in even closer. The E is a better car in every way so it's worth a little more. It has more space and will be more comfortable it's a shade quicker and when driven hard it will handle better.

But, without the tax incentives the Bolt will be good enough for many

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would be $10K less in California with fed+state incentives. That brings it in even closer. The E is a better car in every way so it's worth a little more. It has more space and will be more comfortable it's a shade quicker and when driven hard it will handle better.

But, without the tax incentives the Bolt will be good enough for many
Don't the state incentives apply to the Bolt too? Making them a wash between the two vehicles?

I'd agree that the Mach-e is clearly the better vehicle. Which is why I have a reservation for one. But it also costs $thousands more (base model to base model), even after tax credits. Not everyone can afford the extra $thousands, so I can see why some would still end up choosing the Bolt. Just depends on what you can afford.

KT-PNW

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07’ Mustang, 65’ Mustang, YZF R3
Country flag

The tax incentives are a big consideration for me when it comes to the Mach E. I have my fingers crossed the premium trim’s MSRP drops a little as Oregon’s state incentive cuts out at $50k.
Sponsored