Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Of course. I still think you're ignoring that I have no expectation of free *charging* just free lifetime Plug&Charge functionality.

Charging for a Plug&Charge subscription would be like if Tesla charged a fee for *access* to the Supercharger ecosystem, which you then had to pay for each charge.
And you may get it. I expect that if you have an account with EA (even better, a membership), the Plug & Charge will work even without Ford Pass membership.
Sponsored

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
And you may get it. I expect that if you have an account with EA (even better, a membership), the Plug & Charge will work even without Ford Pass membership.
Yeah I really hope so (obviously). I just wish Ford would clarify and confirm.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah I really hope so (obviously). I just wish Ford would clarify and confirm.
Add it to the long list of things we would love to have Ford clarify and confirm.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Of course. I still think you're ignoring that I have no expectation of free *charging* just free lifetime Plug&Charge functionality.

Charging for a Plug&Charge subscription would be like if Tesla charged a fee for *access* to the Supercharger ecosystem, which you then had to pay for each charge.
Thing is, Tesla loses money with the supercharger network. It can afford to do so and offset the loss within its own financials.

Standalone charging networks don't have that luxury. EVgo is not yet profitable on the whole. I suspect the rate structure at Electrify America is not profitable; we might see a change once they use up the money they are legally forced to spend (or perhaps VW will prop it up the way Tesla props up Superchargers). Regardless, perhaps these nickle and dime access fees are required to keep them solvent.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Thing is, Tesla loses money with the supercharger network. It can afford to do so and offset the loss within its own financials.

Standalone charging networks don't have that luxury. EVgo is not yet profitable on the whole. I suspect the rate structure at Electrify America is not profitable; we might see a change once they use up the money they are legally forced to spend. Regardless, perhaps these nickle and dime access fees are required to keep them solvent.
But these fees (for access to Ford's network) just go to Ford's bottom line. Not to any network construction. Ford didn't build a network. They just paid Greenlots to aggregate other peoples' networks into one app.

Again, I don't expect free charging. I don't even expect unlimited "discounted" charging.

All I'm saying is that I expect Plug&Charge to work for free for the life of the car. That's as basic as a radio. If the FM radio became a subscription after 5 years I'd be just as angry.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
But these fees (for access to Ford's network) just go to Ford's bottom line. Not to any network construction. Ford didn't build a network. They just paid Greenlots to aggregate other peoples' networks into one app.
I figured it was part of their partnership agreement with the network. If it's just going to Ford, that's pretty abusive. I'm glad I charge at home!

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I figured it was part of their partnership agreement with the network. If it's just going to Ford, that's pretty abusive. I'm glad I charge at home!
Well, since Ford hasn't explained what exactly the subscription covers, I'm left to assume.

Plug&Charge is just the handshake and payment where I plug... and charge, no app needed. That's all I want to be free forever, not hidden behind a subscription.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
FORD REVEALS EUROPEAN CHARGING PARTNERS Ford today announced partnerships for Ford Connected Wallbox installation services with six companies covering 14 markets across Europe. Owners can remotely monitor and control the Ford Connected Wallbox from their smartphone using the FordPass smartphone app, 3 enabling them to check on current charge, energy used, and even remotely enable family or friends to use the charger The company also recently announced Mustang Mach-E customers placing an order this year and into 2021 will receive five years of free access 1 to the leading FordPass Charging Network, and one year of free access 1 to the IONITY fast-charging network.

Delivered in partnership with NewMotion, the FordPass Charging Network is the largest network of public charging stations in the region. Customers will be able to use the FordPass app to effortlessly locate, navigate to, pay for and monitor charging at locations across 21 countries – initiating and paying for services from a single account.

Charging with up to 150 kW at an IONITY station, Mustang Mach-E in extended-range battery, rear-wheel drive configuration is estimated to add an average of 119 km (73 miles) driving range within approximately 10 minutes of charging. Mustang Mach-E has a targeted WLTP pure-electric driving range of up to 610 km (379 miles), 7 and will be in European dealerships from early next year.
Sponsored