EA: 42$ and 2+ hours to charge at 350Kw Charger (got 41Kw max)!

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
In California, the law requires costs based on kWh consumed and forbids time based rates for charging.

However, you can be charged for time you're at the station and not charging. For example, Electrify America charges you $0.40/min after 10 minutes of not actively charging.

There's stuff in the weeds and it's technically a phase-in, but the major players have already switched over to kWh to begin with.
Sponsored

OP
OP

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Bolt EV '17 Tesla X75D '14 '16 Ford Focus BeV
Country flag
It's not a choice. Some state have rules/laws, designed to protect electrical utilities, that prohibit selling electricity by the kWh. Many don't. So in a given state all charging will either be per kWh or per time.
You might be right but in PA Telsla and Blink charge by Kwh (not sure why EA, EVgo do not in PA)

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I read an article somewhere that showed at freezing temps, you’d have to drive over 100 MPH for approximately 2 hours to adequately warm the battery. Don’t quote me on the numbers, but my take away was, I’ll never be able to prewarm my battery by just driving. I’ll see if I can find the article again.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Is preconditioning something that can become enabled by a future OTA update?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
These sort of threads cause me anxiety. I’m in Kansas. And I’m about to embark on a road trip from Denver (picking up car) to Wichita. This will entail 3-4 EA stops: the first in Eastern CO and then 2 or 3 more in Kansas. If the first two KS stops go well, I could potentially skip the third and make it home to my garage where I already have 240v waiting.

This is ordinarily 7hrs drive time - 8 with the time zone change from MST to CST. Add in at least 30-45mins per stop to get from around 20-80%. It is going be a loooong day under optimal conditions.

I am skipping FordPass entirely for the trip home. Heard too many problems. Instead, I will install the EA app and buy a 1mo $4 pass. Fingers crossed - any other advice let me know.

OP
OP

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From my experience with a Tesla X (75kwh) it takes about 3kwh of energy to "condition" the battery in 20F weather. It has a 6kw resistive heater and takes 30 minutes roughly (model 3/Y DO NOT have one ; they actually use the heat from motors even when not moving to provide heat!)

Best way is to store car in heated garage...the cutoff temp is 60F where less conditioning is needed.

Last edited:

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
These sort of threads cause me anxiety. I’m in Kansas. And I’m about to embark on a road trip from Denver (picking up car) to Wichita. This will entail 3-4 EA stops: the first in Eastern CO and then 2 or 3 more in Kansas. If the first two KS stops go well, I could potentially skip the third and make it home to my garage where I already have 240v waiting.

This is ordinarily 7hrs drive time - 8 with the time zone change from MST to CST. Add in at least 30-45mins per stop to get from around 20-80%. It is going be a loooong day under optimal conditions.

I am skipping FordPass entirely for the trip home. Heard too many problems. Instead, I will install the EA app and buy a 1mo $4 pass. Fingers crossed - any other advice let me know.
Precondition the battery ahead of time through the FordPass app while it is plugged in to the dealer's L2 charger while you sign the paperwork.

The issues around speed are that the battery is too cold.

Activate your Plug&Charge trial with FordPass at delivery and you have your charging home be free with the 500 kWh bundle. No need to pay at all.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Yes. All the hardware is present in the vehicle, and it does precondition the battery while it is parked and plugged in. All they have to do is change the programming so that it *also* does this while you are driving to a DC Fast Charger through the navigation system. That is a "easy" OTA fix.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's not a choice. Some state have rules/laws, designed to protect electrical utilities, that prohibit selling electricity by the kWh. Many don't. So in a given state all charging will either be per kWh or per time.
Its weird though. In Oklahoma its illegal to "resell" electric. SO we're supposed to be by the minute only state. But I stopped at a chargepoint DCFC station last weekend and they charged by the kwh. And it was only charging $0.09/kwh which was cheaper than charging at home for me. This station was at a gas station and it looked like they put it in themselves and maybe that allows them to charge however they want or something.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Its weird though. In Oklahoma its illegal to "resell" electric. SO we're supposed to be by the minute only state. But I stopped at a chargepoint DCFC station last weekend and they charged by the kwh. And it was only charging $0.09/kwh which was cheaper than charging at home for me. This station was at a gas station and it looked like they put it in themselves and maybe that allows them to charge however they want or something.
Since ChargePoint is not their own "network" as such, as you say each station owner sets their own price. I don't think ChargePoint polices whether each station operator is pricing per their own local laws. I've seen a few of those with ChargePoint around the country.

OP
OP

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla does not charge by the kWh in Pennsylvania.
Ok I got a recent receipt from a Tesla local member (3 miles from 16066) showing Tesla is charging by Kwh in PA; and I got as well plenty of feedback from Tesla group here that they switched over a year ago...rates seem to be in the 25 to 28 cents/kwh around us.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EA:  42$ and 2+ hours to charge at 350Kw Charger (got 41Kw max)! 158111871_10224875183729665_549511827438057340_n

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Ok I got a recent receipt from a Tesla local member (3 miles from 16066) showing Tesla is charging by Kwh in PA; and I got as well plenty of feedback from Tesla group here that they switched over a year ago...rates seem to be in the 25 to 28 cents/kwh around us.

158111871_10224875183729665_549511827438057340_n.jpg
Then that is a *very* recent change. I assume EA will follow suit shortly.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Precondition the battery ahead of time through the FordPass app while it is plugged in to the dealer's L2 charger while you sign the paperwork.

The issues around speed are that the battery is too cold.

Activate your Plug&Charge trial with FordPass at delivery and you have your charging home be free with the 500 kWh bundle. No need to pay at all.
I don’t know how to activate FordPass, Plug & Charge, or preconditioning. Can you walk me through it step by step as if you were stepping into the dealership? What should I do before getting to the dealer?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I don’t know how to activate FordPass, Plug & Charge, or preconditioning. Can you walk me through it step by step as if you were stepping into the dealership? What should I do before getting to the dealer?
Here's how I recommend doing it, if you're going to pick the car up and immediately drive it home.

Prior to getting to the dealer, install FordPass on your smartphone. Sign in.

When you get to the dealer, inspect the vehicle. At that time, turn the vehicle On, and open FordPass on your phone. Add the vehicle to FordPass via VIN, and you should see an "Activate Vehicle" button in FordPass. Press the button, and wait. A few seconds later, the car's screen will ask you to confirm activation. Press accept.

Take a few minutes to get Phone-as-a-key working, if you want it.

Then, go do all your paperwork with the dealer to actually buy the car.

Then go to ford.com/connectedservices on web browser, signing in with the same credentials as you used for FordPass. You will be able to then Activate your FordPass Charging Network subscription, store a credit card for FordPass charging, and claim your Electrify America free kWhs.

You'll then get 2 emails from Ford (or at least I did) - 1 confirming the "order" of the FordPass Charging Network subscription activation, and another confirming successful activation of the FordPass Charging Network subscription.

When ALL THAT is done, you will be able to use your free Electrify America credits from Ford and Plug&Charge on your drive home with the car.

As for preconditioning to get the best speed, for that I'm not sure what the best way to do that at the dealer is. I would recommend that you ask the dealer to plug it in while you do all your paperwork and you hit Remote Start on FordPass and just let it sit with the heater running to try to get the battery warmed up before you start your drive. Once you're in your normal routine, you can set specific times every day where the car will have the cabin and battery ready to drive.

A lower tech solution to preconditoning might just be to ask your dealer to park your car indoors overnight the night before you pick it up, and leave it on the service dept's charger if that's indoors.
Sponsored

Last edited: