bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
For those who have stopped at the Fox Valley "DC Fast Charger" in Appleton, can you give some idea of how quickly it can charge the Mach-E? I live in Chicago and own a house in Baileys Harbor (Door County) that we have a L2 charger at. My Mach-E is the ER AWD, so estimated 270 miles. In nice weather with no use of Heat/AC, we can make it door to door without a charge, but barely. Usually, we stop to top up a bit at the EA DCFC in Milwaukee before heading up and can make it without too much concern, especially when we are easy on the AC/Heat. We are planning to head up to our house in Door County this winter with the Mach-E for the first time and between the cold on the battery and the likely need for heat throughout the drive, I am concerned about our normal route between Milwaukee and Door County (Rt. 43) and was thinking of taking Rt. 41 up and stopping off at the DC Fast Charger in Appleton, but Plugshare does not seem to note this being all that powerful of a DC Fast Charger really (actually looks closer to a L2 charger based on kw).

Would I be better off trying to work with a 100% charge from the EA station in Milwaukee and heading up our normal way or would it make sense to try taking 41 up and charging at the DC charger in Appleton? Would it take a really long time to get much of a charge in Appleton?

It sure would be nice if we could get some access to an EA DCFC in Green Bay, Sheboygan, or Manitowoc. It would take so much stress off me...

EDIT: I did just check A Better Route Planner and it actually recommends a stop at EA in Milwaukee and then also a stop at the GreenLots/Alliance Energy charger in Fon Du Lac, and then on to Door County. So, if anyone has experience at that GreenLots stop in Fon Du Lac, please let me know how your experience was with that, too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
On my way back from Wisconsin last weekend, stopped at the EA charger in Kzoo (Kalamazoo, MI for the non-Michiganders) for a top up.

Nice to see an all-Mach E fleet charging at the same time! We were all looking at each other and recognizing this was the first time we've seen a full slate of Mach Es filling up a charging station. The owner of the white MME has a '67 Mustang (that he bought in 1967), and he LOVES his Mach E. He keeps the '67 around to satisfy his weekend urge to feel the rumble of a gas engine.

mach e ea.jpg
I was at this same location this past Sunday, and it was full of MMEs!

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Awesome! That’s the station I’ll be using the most by far on my trips to and from Chicago.
good plan ..... I can tell you, from personal experience, to not waste your time going to the DCFC in New Buffalo, MI. it's painfully slow (max 30 kW)

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
good plan ..... I can tell you, from personal experience, to not waste your time going to the DCFC in New Buffalo, MI. it's painfully slow (max 30 kW)
Good to know! I'm going to need to find one along the lower west coast of the state for drives up to Traverse City. There's one in Saugatuk and one south of Grand Rapids I plan on trying.

OrangeWhipX3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AWD ER
Country flag
I wouldn’t attempt this trip. The FDL charger will only get you ~41 kw.
Going via 41 is also adding miles to your trip. If you have an ICE use it.
For those who have stopped at the Fox Valley "DC Fast Charger" in Appleton, can you give some idea of how quickly it can charge the Mach-E? I live in Chicago and own a house in Baileys Harbor (Door County) that we have a L2 charger at. My Mach-E is the ER AWD, so estimated 270 miles. In nice weather with no use of Heat/AC, we can make it door to door without a charge, but barely. Usually, we stop to top up a bit at the EA DCFC in Milwaukee before heading up and can make it without too much concern, especially when we are easy on the AC/Heat. We are planning to head up to our house in Door County this winter with the Mach-E for the first time and between the cold on the battery and the likely need for heat throughout the drive, I am concerned about our normal route between Milwaukee and Door County (Rt. 43) and was thinking of taking Rt. 41 up and stopping off at the DC Fast Charger in Appleton, but Plugshare does not seem to note this being all that powerful of a DC Fast Charger really (actually looks closer to a L2 charger based on kw).

Would I be better off trying to work with a 100% charge from the EA station in Milwaukee and heading up our normal way or would it make sense to try taking 41 up and charging at the DC charger in Appleton? Would it take a really long time to get much of a charge in Appleton?

It sure would be nice if we could get some access to an EA DCFC in Green Bay, Sheboygan, or Manitowoc. It would take so much stress off me...

EDIT: I did just check A Better Route Planner and it actually recommends a stop at EA in Milwaukee and then also a stop at the GreenLots/Alliance Energy charger in Fon Du Lac, and then on to Door County. So, if anyone has experience at that GreenLots stop in Fon Du Lac, please let me know how your experience was with that, too.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I wouldn’t attempt this trip. The FDL charger will only get you ~41 kw.
Going via 41 is also adding miles to your trip. If you have an ICE use it.
Booooo. Sadly, we are a one-car household, so no ICE available to us. Maybe we'll just have to spend a night in a hotel on the way up and charge over night.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
It is real disappointing to realize Wisconsin has not spent their VW settlement on dcfc chargers. Can you make it to Sturgeon Bay for a L2 charge at the chamber of tourism and walk across the street to McDonald's or Target?
Sponsored