EA chargers were down so I took some pictures.

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
The EA chargers were all down at Lost Hills. Lately I have been hitting every DCFC even if I am at 60% on road trips. That way, if none are available, I just move to the next one. I made it to the next charger at Foothill (non-EA and they worked fine). Even if the chargers are working, California has too many Bolts talking long road trips (slow charging) or people charging to 100% with their free charging plans.

These are now my screen saver at work. Would have been better without the carpool stickers on the bumper...oh well. These were actually from October. But you gotta love that California sunset...even if it is setting behind a pile of broken up concrete.
Ford Mustang Mach-E EA chargers were down so I took some pictures. IMG_2332
Ford Mustang Mach-E EA chargers were down so I took some pictures. IMG_2328
Ford Mustang Mach-E EA chargers were down so I took some pictures. IMG_2327
Ford Mustang Mach-E EA chargers were down so I took some pictures. IMG_2334

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Gorgeous pictures.

Admittedly not the pictures I was expecting reading the subject line (I had expected a bunch of pictures of broken DCFC stations...!)

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MachE, 2020 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
health care
Country flag
Gorgeous pictures.

Admittedly not the pictures I was expecting reading the subject line (I had expected a bunch of pictures of broken DCFC stations...!)
Me too

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Yeah I was expecting 8 screens with the EA "! unavailable" on them .... with a gorgeous sunset in the background. I'm hoping I do not have your experience -- we're about to test EA's reliability on I-5.

The new EA equipment installation of 10 charger stalls at Kettleman City next to In-N-Out sounds .... tasty. Hoping to get all the way there for our first charge.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
Speaking of In-N-Out, those photos would make a good model for an In-N-Out T-shirt..

Ford Mustang Mach-E EA chargers were down so I took some pictures. Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.29.07 PM

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Speaking of In-N-Out, those photos would make a good model for an In-N-Out T-shirt..

Ford Mustang Mach-E EA chargers were down so I took some pictures. Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.29.07 PM
Ha! At least for this planned stop, unfortunately EA didn't put their new fancy chargers directly at the end of the In-N-Out drive-thru line, they're down the street in the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant.

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
Yeah I was expecting 8 screens with the EA "! unavailable" on them .... with a gorgeous sunset in the background. I'm hoping I do not have your experience -- we're about to test EA's reliability on I-5.

The new EA equipment installation of 10 charger stalls at Kettleman City next to In-N-Out sounds .... tasty. Hoping to get all the way there for our first charge.
Wait, what?! Oh boy, I’m tempted to make a NYE trip to LA with my two months old CA RT1 to see if I can get from the NE Bay to Kettleman City on one charge!

OP
OP
Mr. Toejam

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
I figured everyone is tired of seeing the same pics when the chargers are down. So i made lemonade when EA gave me lemons.
SF to kettleman is 200 miles, so you will easily make it with a full charge. But if you show up there with 10%, you have few options if you can’t charge. This isn’t range anxiety, this is reality of driving the 5.

OP
OP
Mr. Toejam

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag

How about a video review Of the Kettlemen chargers. There’s also a CalTrans free charger down the road that rarely works and 2 chargers behind the hotel that saved me.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I figured everyone is tired of seeing the same pics when the chargers are down. So i made lemonade when EA gave me lemons.
SF to kettleman is 200 miles, so you will easily make it with a full charge. But if you show up there with 10%, you have few options if you can’t charge. This isn’t range anxiety, this is reality of driving the 5.
I'd have a little more than 10% coming from Sunnyvale.... ABRP predicts 20%. Kettleman City has 10 separate of their new 350kw hardware stalls, *something* has to be working. (I agree, one can not place too much faith and trust in EA).

Since I have my kiddos with us, we'll probably want to do some kinda bathroom etc break, so I will perhaps do a stop for a pee break and to get a little margin. Lost Hills is another 13% SOC burn at high speed down the road if I really needed a backup plan, but that seems unlikely here. The plugshare checkins over the busy holiday weekend seemed more positive than at other EA stations for the Kettleman one.

We typically stop at In-N-Out anyhow, so this will be more time-efficient to eat and long charge at the same time. Wish me luck!

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

having just done this trip in November, you will need to set your cruise to 55 MPH to get to KC 😂

OP
OP
Mr. Toejam

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
1) I drive my MME like it is supposed to be. So, I need to charge 2 times from OC to the bay area.
2) Good luck to all of those driving this holiday. It will be cold and wet so be safe out there.
3) My wife, daughter and I made the trip Thanksgiving. It took almost 10 hours (350 miles) for what should have been a 7-730 hour drive. But being colder and most likely wet, this coming weekend we will be taking the Honda Swagger-wagon. The charging infrastructure just cannot support holiday volume traffic. Regular weekends, it is still not ideal. There needs to be some competition out there to push EA. Heck, I would pay more if they could guarantee everything was up and running.

Oh well, this wasn't really for bashing the charging network that we have... this was just to share some cool pics that I had.

Drive safely this weekend, it is going to be wild wherever you are.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
1) I drive my MME like it is supposed to be. So, I need to charge 2 times from OC to the bay area.
2) Good luck to all of those driving this holiday. It will be cold and wet so be safe out there.
3) My wife, daughter and I made the trip Thanksgiving. It took almost 10 hours (350 miles) for what should have been a 7-730 hour drive. But being colder and most likely wet, this coming weekend we will be taking the Honda Swagger-wagon. The charging infrastructure just cannot support holiday volume traffic. Regular weekends, it is still not ideal. There needs to be some competition out there to push EA. Heck, I would pay more if they could guarantee everything was up and running.

Oh well, this wasn't really for bashing the charging network that we have... this was just to share some cool pics that I had.

Drive safely this weekend, it is going to be wild wherever you are.
Oh no doubt, driving between SF and LA is a 2-3 stop circus, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise...

I just looked back --- and the last time I did this trip was over the summer (my ill-fated trip that featured the world's first post-recall-software Service Vehicle Soon). Driving my GTPE around 75-80mph got us to Harris Ranch EA with 24% SOC straight thru with no stops from Sunnyvale. My last trip was Harris Ranch, then Bakersfield, then 💥

So TLDR: you folks are probably correct that it's a pipe dream for me to think I'm getting to a double-double at this new EA station (the next one after Harris Ranch) non-stop in the wintertime.

However -- I will not be passing up the opportunity to stop at this new station. Not only is it down the road from our regular in-n-out lunch break, but it's in the parking lot of a 24 HOUR MEXICAN RESTAURANT! 🌮 🌯

It'll probably be Firebaugh, then Kettleman City, then probably Santa Clarita to have a good SOC for our activities in LA.
Sponsored