Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
As @Mach-MI says, there's precious little difference in practical use between at 150 kw and a 72 kw Urban Charger. The urban chargers are at popular locations where people congregate and want to charge their cars while they eat, shop etc.

So you drive your Tesla Model Z into a Supercharager station. Each Supercharger has 2 plugs. Unlike a Greenlots, EA, etc. charging station with 2 powerlines, both can be used at a Supercharger. Plug in your car. If it's a 72 Kw station that's what it charges at. If someone pulls in next to you and uses the other plug, still 72 kw. So what is it really 72kw or 144Kw? Depends upon how you want to measure it. If you pull into a Tesla 150kW non urban charger and someone pulls in next to you? 75 kw max each. That's why you see Tesla spread out every other spot other than at urban Chargers.

The fact of the matter is urban chargers are not only desirable, they're needed. And if you want BEV's to succeed, EA, Greenlots, Chargepoint et. al., need to be doing this as well as lining I-90, I-40 and all the other highways and byways. Does every urban charger EA installs need to be 150 Kw? No, but honestly 150 kW is going to be low in a few years. Otherwise, get used to your choices being a Tesla or a CARB compliance car.

They have a lot of catching up to do.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The fact of the matter is urban chargers are not only desirable, they're needed. And if you want BEV's to succeed, EA, Greenlots, Chargepoint et. al., need to be doing this as well as lining I-90, I-40 and all the other highways and byways. Does every urban charger EA installs need to be 150 Kw? No, but honestly 150 kW is going to be low in a few years. Otherwise, get used to your choices being a Tesla or a CARB compliance car.

They have a lot of catching up to do.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think that EA should prioritze for long distance travel and then Urban areas. They may be able to kill two birds with one stone in a lot of locations, but the long distance folks may run into availability issues with the locals.

I would think if you go to an Urban area you can afford to spend time at a L2 more so than if your doing a long distance trip. I literally cannot go from Phoenix to Las Vegas in a Mach-e unless I go 50 miles out of my way. Which isn't too bad but there is no backup. If that charger in Blythe is down or unavailable your screwed. Purely going by ABRP here.

Its a difference between being stuck for potentially an entire day to having to slow charge in an Urban area while you went there specifically to shop and eat a long meal anyway.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think that EA should prioritze for long distance travel and then Urban areas. They may be able to kill two birds with one stone in a lot of locations, but the long distance folks may run into availability issues with the locals.

I would think if you go to an Urban area you can afford to spend time at a L2 more so than if your doing a long distance trip. I literally cannot go from Phoenix to Las Vegas in a Mach-e unless I go 50 miles out of my way. Which isn't too bad but there is no backup. If that charger in Blythe is down or unavailable your screwed. Purely going by ABRP here.

Its a difference between being stuck for potentially an entire day to having to slow charge in an Urban area while you went there specifically to shop and eat a long meal anyway.
However, on road trips urban areas are often mid-points rather than just destinations. While you don't need a lot of high-speed DCFCs in an urban area, some well placed ones near interstates and surrounded by food and other services can be a very wise placement.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
However, on road trips urban areas are often mid-points rather than just destinations. While you don't need a lot of high-speed DCFCs in an urban area, some well placed ones near interstates and surrounded by food and other services can be a very wise placement.
Agree, that was the point I was trying to make with the, "kill two birds with one stone" part of my post.
Agree.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because you drive through the large city on the way to another large city. Definitely depends on how far apart the cities are, etc.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. I agree with that. But there may be some locations where again, you can kill the two birds with one stone.
Sponsored