Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Your comments show a complete lack of comprehension.

Yes, those are all in California. And they're all Tesla stations. I did that deliberately. Why? First, because I grew up there, I visit family and friends there all the time (pre-pandemic) and I'm very familiar with all those areas. Second, your comment was about @Mach-MI saying chargers are in parking garages and well off the interstates. With the exception of the Tesla Super Charger station in Fremont, which is off of I-880, the others are all well off any interstate or major freeway. And the one in Fremont? Yeah, its there because it's at the assembly plant, more or less, and is really only accessible from one direction on 880 unless you want to do various driving gymnastics. The others? The Santa Cruz station is a good 20+ minutes from CR-17 and about 10 to 15 from CR-1. The Los Gatos station is another 10+ minutes from the local interstate. The Scott's Valley station is down a surface street and perhaps 15 minutes from CR-17. Third, Yes, California is ahead of everyone else on BEV infrastructure. So use that as a template for the good and bad.

None of those chargers I mentioned are for folks traversing California from North to South, let alone east to west. For that, drive US-101 and see just how remote the placement can get -- all of them well within range of any Tesla. Or compare it to I-5 where sane people wanting to get up north or down south in under a day drive: Those are very close and often there are two stations close together, one for interstate use and another a few miles away for local.

Do people understand just how far ahead Tesla is on all of this? This wasn't done out of the kindness of Elon Musk's heart, he doesn't have one of those. It was done because it's good business. And it is why both general types of charger locations are necessary.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Where did I say that or even imply that?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My point repeatedly has been:

My point was simply this: there is value to placement of chargers in various locations, various strategies, to solve the various needs of drivers.

We don't all have the same BEV charging needs. We have lots of needs. There are many ways to solve them and I'm glad a diversity of approaches are being taken.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Georgetown, Washington D.C., Arlington VA ... In fact, in the nation's capital and immediate surrounding communities, away from the freeways, there are 15 Superchargers plus even more destination chargers.

On Manhattan Island, there are 3 SuperCharger stations and about 4 times that number in destination charger stations (at hotels). In Chicago starting in Chinatown northwards there are 4 Supercharger stations on or just off of Lake Shore. In Salt Lake City, there is one just down the road from Temple Square. In Coeur d' Alene there's one about 1/3 of a mile from the Fred Meyer I shop at when visiting family.

DCFC are needed along major arteries, there's no doubt about it. Ideally, they should all be well above 150 kWh to avoid the need to R&R them up in a few years. But stragiclly placed DCFC, whether that's a full 350 kWh charger or something less. are needed at certain destinations. I personally do not care for Tesla or its founder, but some of what they do is well thought out. Like this.

Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm not worried about someone waiting for me because I'm the only one ever charging at a CCS DCFC.
The EA charger I was using yesterday was an "urban" version at a Target store. 2 50k units and an L2.
Making people wait: So when an MME pulls up behind my wife and her slow charging Bolt, is some guy going to tell her to get her slow-ass-charging car out of the way so he can charge at 3 times the rate?
Sponsored