eAWD vs RWD for handling?

AmbiguousPresentation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Fusion SEL, 2005 Suburban, 2021 MME GT-PE
Country flag
I’ve got a RWD extended range Permium on order, but lately I’ve been wondering whether I ought to switch it for an eAWD version. I’m not especially concerned with the relative power available, but I am interested in how well the car will handle.

My original reasoning for getting the RWD version drew upon my generally good experience driving RWD ICE cars. As I understand it, hitting the gas on a RWD car tends to take weight off the front wheels, to the detriment of your steering traction, but the heavy weight of the engine tends to counter this. The RWD MME doesn’t have a heavy engine in the frunk, so I wonder if my experience with RWD ICE cars isn’t leading me astray, and I might be happier with the extra weight and torque up front… Of course, the MME does have a big old battery between the axles, so maybe it all comes out in the wash.

Has anyone done the comparison between the different flavors of MME drivetrains?
Sponsored

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I’ve got a RWD extended range Permium on order, but lately I’ve been wondering whether I ought to switch it for an eAWD version. I’m not especially concerned with the relative power available, but I am interested in how well the car will handle.

My original reasoning for getting the RWD version drew upon my generally good experience driving RWD ICE cars. As I understand it, hitting the gas on a RWD car tends to take weight off the front wheels, to the detriment of your steering traction, but the heavy weight of the engine tends to counter this. The RWD MME doesn’t have a heavy engine in the frunk, so I wonder if my experience with RWD ICE cars isn’t leading me astray, and I might be happier with the extra weight and torque up front… Of course, the MME does have a big old battery between the axles, so maybe it all comes out in the wash.

Has anyone done the comparison between the different flavors of MME drivetrains?
There's a difference in acceleration, that is in the spec sheet. Handling when exiting corners should be improved when traction control is on. Then there is the issue of low traction wet or ice.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I really didn't notice notice much difference when I drove my brother's RWD. It drove great IMO. Although, I didn't take it to a track like I have done with an AWD EX. I bet there are some differences in those conditions but otherwise the RWD is a fine car. I would have no concerns with RWD in inclement weather. It should perform as well or better than a similar ICE model.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My ER RWD Mach E is 1200 pounds heavier than my mustang coupe, with that extra weight being distributed evenly between the front and rear wheels - so I don't think your concern about the engine placement is warranted. My Mach E handles extremely well, but of course the AWD would probably be a little better going through twisties at higher speeds, but I have no concerns whatsoever with traction and handling.

OP
OP
AmbiguousPresentation

AmbiguousPresentation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Fusion SEL, 2005 Suburban, 2021 MME GT-PE
Country flag
My ER RWD Mach E is 1200 pounds heavier than my mustang coupe, with that extra weight being distributed evenly between the front and rear wheels - so I don't think your concern about the engine placement is warranted. My Mach E handles extremely well, but of course the AWD would probably be a little better going through twisties at higher speeds, but I have no concerns whatsoever with traction and handling.
Thanks! I hadn’t appreciated how heavy the battery pack is. With more than 1,000 lbs of battery, 70 lbs of forward motor isn’t going to shift the car’s center of mass very much. ?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks! I hadn’t appreciated how heavy the battery pack is. With more than 1,000 lbs of battery, 70 lbs of forward motor isn’t going to shift the car’s center of mass very much. ?
I was referring to the difference in handling between my ICE Mustang with a bunch of engine weight over the front wheels vs my RWD Mach E. But yes, point taken about a 70 pound electric motor making little difference in weight.
Sponsored