Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I can't believe Tesla's argument is that you have to run their cars below 0 miles of range for it to be a "true test." That is just stupid and another ploy by them to try gaming the "system."
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This shows that Tesla has learned how to game the EPA tests...the other automakers will do so soon as well, just like they have been gaming the EPA mileage tests for years. Tesla, despite teaming the tests, still is the efficiency leader when comparing equally sized vehicles.
Yeah... I think it's completely valid to say both "Tesla's efficiency overall is great and that's important, because that means a longer range on a smaller battery, so less battery cost and less time worrying about charging" and at the same time say "Tesla's range being a complete joke in real life is a problem because people trust that number to have validity." Those are not contradictory... in fact, both are true. :)

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I can't believe Tesla's argument is that you have to run their cars below 0 miles of range for it to be a "true test." That is just stupid and another ploy by them to try gaming the "system."
which means it gets to that point software can open up more range? the buffer on the mache is so crazy it gives two options. charge it always no worry to 90% while tesla says 80%. or ford can open up more and increase range. Again this is the launch for the mache vs many updates and fixes for the model y. I have a feeling more good things to come with the mache. But what do I know right.......

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
1. I was surprised the buffer wasn't bigger on the Mach-E.
2. Every Tesla owner watching this is going to drive their cars an extra 20 miles, or expect them to.
3. It's a good day to be in the towing/mobile charger biz.
4. This still doesn't help get my late MME home.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
4. This still doesn't help get my late MME home.
sorry Edmunds drove it to below 0 and now it's stuck on their desert road. they promise to not do it to you again.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I kind of wish they tested the standard and extended/RWD versions. As someone who has pre ordered a CA R1, this looks pretty good if you extrapolate.
Same here!

They test all offerings (or lots of)from Tesla... but I would like to see the other MME ones... I have a standard/RWD and want to see how Ford did

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag

All the Teslarians should do this, drive it pass the 0 mark and see how far they can get it... Especially since there is no guarantee how much you will get out of that "below zero"

I prefer when zero means zero!!!!

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I don't buy into their "just drive past zero" argument. I could *maybe* see it if "0 mi" = "2%" or whatever. But zero % should mean zero.

It's clear they're using the EPA cycle to their advantage - designing *to the test* not to the real world. So far, I haven't yet seen EPA efficiency out of my Mach-E, but it's so cold up here I don't expect to... yet.

Reactions: ARK

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Don't get me wrong. I don't mind a small buffer past zero, but I am not including that in my range estimates.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Why is there no Model Y LR in this test?

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Tesla didn't give them one to test and Edmunds has a Y Performance of their own but I don't think we need every Tesla variant to get the gist of their strategy.
It's probably the most important Tesla to have in the test imo. Probably their best selling vehicle right now.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
This shows that Tesla has learned how to game the EPA tests...the other automakers will do so soon as well, just like they have been gaming the EPA mileage tests for years. Tesla, despite teaming the tests, still is the efficiency leader when comparing equally sized vehicles.
Maybe not. When Ford released C-Max with super optimistic EPA estimates, they ended up lowering them significantly and issuing some refunds. This may explain why they are more conservative with the ratings on MME.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Less weight and aero vs looks. No two are going to be the same. But what is true one giving you more than you thought vs one that doesn't.
People are generally happier if the product exceeds estimates vs super optimistic estimates that aren't met.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's why I liked this pure 65 MPH range test better than anything that includes slow city speeds (like the near-worthless EPA range ratings). And why I like Car and Driver's 70 MPH tests.

Range around home doesn't matter (or barely matters, anyway). Whether I get home each day at 62% and plug in overnight vs 54% is irrelevant for anything more than a few more pennies spent charging overnight.

Where range matters is road trips. That's usually highway. In the US, that's usually interstate speeds around the 70-75 MPH area.
Sponsored