Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
Edmunds concludes that the 5 second rule is a deal breaker.

Darren Palmer, Dave Pericak, and Donna Dickson can solve this right now if they really wanted to, but will they?
Hopefully. The more attention it gets the better. It seems like they just went too conservative on the tuning.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Such a shame that the Mustang basically beats the Tesla in nearly every category, but the stupid power limitation kills the recommendation from Edmunds.

Ford says they limit the power delivery to five seconds to "preserve the battery life"...but why don't they just add an option called "GIVE ME THE FUCKING POWER" that warns the user of battery degradation and other BS we don't care about if we're on a lease or Ford Options and unlocks the true power of the car? It's lack of creative thinking at Ford and is sad, frankly.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford says they limit the power delivery to five seconds to "preserve the battery life"...but why don't they just add an option called "GIVE ME THE FUCKING POWER" that warns the user of battery degradation and other BS we don't care about if we're on a lease or Ford Options and unlocks the true power of the car? It's lack of creative thinking at Ford and is sad, frankly.
You might not care, but they still have to warranty that battery for 100k/8 years regardless, so they have to care.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You might not care, but they still have to warranty that battery for 100k/8 years regardless, so they have to care.
I don't think the people ripping their GTs care too much about an 8 year warranty. Lower the warranty number and make the car an actual Mustang GT.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think the people ripping their GTs care too much about an 8 year warranty. Lower the warranty number and make the car an actual Mustang GT.
Federal regulations mandate that auto companies must warranty an EV's battery pack for that length of time, its not Ford's decision.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Federal regulations mandate that auto companies must warranty an EV's battery pack for that length of time, its not Ford's decision.
Ah, interesting that Tesla can give us the full power but not Ford...
I have to assume once Ford gets more data from early Mach E and Mach E GT owners they will adjust power/charging speed/etc.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, interesting that Tesla can give us the full power but not Ford...
I have to assume once Ford gets more data from early Mach E and Mach E GT owners they will adjust power/charging speed/etc.
Thats what I'm hoping. They've been extremely conservative with everything from the battery buffer to the charging curve, so hopefully the power will be extended just like those other attributes are being improved.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Having had 1k miles under my belt now on my GT....While I'd love to see the boost duration extended, I couldn't imagine making sacrifices every single day in driving comfort, aesthetics, handling, braking, lacking features like 360 cams, bluecruise, blind spot monitoring in the right spot, etc just so I could have more than the 5 seconds of boost.

Everything is give an take...that would be a whoooooole lot of give. Edmunds definitely doesn't share my opinion on the final thoughts.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Hopefully. The more attention it gets the better. It seems like they just went too conservative on the tuning.
What's the likelihood that Ford is holding back to deliver a truly unbridled Mustang coupe EV? That's a conspiracy theory I can buy into.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Having had 1k miles under my belt now on my GT....While I'd love to see the boost duration extended, I couldn't imagine making sacrifices every single day in driving comfort, aesthetics, handling, braking, lacking features like 360 cams, bluecruise, blind spot monitoring in the right spot, etc just so I could have more than the 5 seconds of boost.

Everything is give an take...that would be a whoooooole lot of give. Edmunds definitely doesn't share my opinion on the final thoughts.
Completely agreed. The boost limitation is not noticeable to me when driving around town. You can't keep keep your foot to the floor for the full 5 seconds or you're going beyond highway speeds. It seems to go back to full power being available pretty quick too. Faster than I get to the next red light or stop sign anyways.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So the GTPE brakes better, rides better, handles better, built better, looks better and has more range.

The MYP can accelerate for more than 5 seconds so it wins the comparison??

Hmm… I do want more than 5 seconds but still.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach-E GT vs. Model Y Performance Comparison Review 98E0649E-2C55-4428-9491-135D15B8792A

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I hope that Ford does release some kind of improvement. I don't think anyone is expecting 100% power indefinitely, but something longer than 5 seconds, or with a more gradual taper rather than a cliff, sounds reasonable.

I work on stationary grid storage, and work with all the major battery vendors - they often have very strict, but somewhat silly, operational requirements, because from their perspective it is easy to be simple and strict than to follow nuance. One example is a vendor that requires their BMS to turn off if humidity goes above a certain level - we worked with them to do the opposite, if the humidity goes up, increase power to warm up the system and reduce the risk of condensation. In this case I can imagine that a gradual roll-off could be just as effective as a cliff, and far less noticeable to drivers.

Of course, one counter example to keep in mind is that some manufacturers may be willing to sacrifice their future warranties in order to sell more cars today... I have real concerns that part of Tesla's overvaluation is the massive warranty obligation they are sitting on.
Sponsored