Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
"unacceptable" is a matter of opinion regardless of how firm you feel about those opinions.

Many of us who have taken our GT/GTPEs would certainly not turn down a longer duration boost, but find the current implementation of power to be acceptable.

You've been quite vocal on this...do you have a GT on order? What's your investment in this to be making claims on what's acceptable or not? Are you and Frankie related? (where is that guy anyways?)
I can't speak for anybody else, but I can say that for myself, I'll consider ordering one when Ford fixes the 5 second handcuff nanny.
Sponsored

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We do agree. But many people buy a daily that can “do it all”, track days included. I also think the GT pretty much does it all, except there’s this one issue….?

And also, a Plaid may be fast in a drag race, but count me as one that thinks all EVs are boring to drag race once you’ve acclimated to the G forces. There is almost no skill involved. Especially where AWD is concerned. Quicker, yes, more fun, not to me.
I'm not so sure its so boring in a drag race. Sure you will miss the sound, but stealth can be just as cool. Take a look at that guy from the Tesla Plaid Channel who drags his Plaid weekly. Those videos capture the excitement of stealth. I can't stop watching them.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly this - as it stands the GTPE is a great car whose Engineering and Marketing teams aren’t speaking the same language. Labeling it a “Performance Edition” and making early claims it was the version for track day set some very specific expectations and clearly defined which vehicles it should be directly compared to. I think it’s fair that Edmonds says the current limitations keep it from truly living up to that “performance edition” title, thus essentially disqualifying it despite its other great qualities.

For most of us, that “performance edition” label is a fancy nice to have so it isn't necessary to hold the car to the highest performance standards. But, I also agree with those who are passionately arguing Ford is undermining their Mustang brand standards by having a GT Performance Edition only be a sporty CUV.

I saw Edmonds’ review as nothing but a good thing and a big favor to all GTPE owners - “Ford, improve this one thing and you have the clear and away best performance EV for the price on the market.” Especially since this likely could be improved via a software fix.
Agree. Ford is competing with Tesla. Ford's GTPE model does in fact compete well with the MYPE, with the exception of the one benchmark standard measurement of performance, the quarter mile. Ford: Fix it please; we all know you can. Mine's on order as soon as you do.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How about the price? Last night I read that the basic Model Y price increased to $59,000, while a basic Select Mach-E is around $42 ,000. I don't drive around racing other cars, so that 5 second limit is pointless. But the $17,000 differente does make a huge point.
Not exactly a great comparison for pricing. The Long Range Y has an 80 kWh pack, 78 kWh usable.
Tesla also is raising the prices in anticipation for the EV credit.

What you should be comparing is the no longer available Standard Range Y, which had a 60 kWh pack, 55 kWh usable. It sold for ~ $42,000.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not so sure its so boring in a drag race. Sure you will miss the sound, but stealth can be just as cool. Take a look at that guy from the Tesla Plaid Channel who drags his Plaid weekly. Those videos capture the excitement of stealth. I can't stop watching them.
Yeah, I love watching his races. Nice guy, too.
He did over 1000 runs on his Raven S. I'm not sure what he's at with his Plaid but probably over 200 runs by now.

He still seems to have fun every time he floors it. That torque never gets old.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah, I love watching his races. Nice guy, too.
He did over 1000 runs on his Raven S. I'm not sure what he's at with his Plaid but probably over 200 runs by now.

He still seems to have fun every time he floors it. That torque never gets old.
Yeah I’ve never seen someone yawn during a 9 second 1/4 mile run.

That said as a live spectator, BEV drag racing is boring to watch.

The sound is half the fun as a spectator.

Thats why even the fastest 1/4 mile ever (rocket car) is pretty boring to watch compared to the slower jet dragsters that put on a huge fire and noise display.

I’m definitely not tired of my GTPE torque. On the way back in to work, punched it at 30 mph and it spun the tires.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I’ve never been in a Plaid but I have been in an S P100D that did 2.4 to 60 and a 10.3@128ish. It’s crazy fast for sure, but, aside from the G there’s nothing happening. So, once you acclimate to that, which you do, there’s no other sensation getting stimulated. Of course 10s are fast and no doubt 9s with a 1.5 G launch are nuts, no dispute, but your body gets used to those things if you experience them frequently.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ah, interesting that Tesla can give us the full power but not Ford...
I have to assume once Ford gets more data from early Mach E and Mach E GT owners they will adjust power/charging speed/etc.
Tesla's solution to warranty costs is to just dial back the charging rate with sneaky OTA downgrades when it gets in trouble with this. Ask the thousands of Model S owners still fighting the class action suit that has gone nowhere in years.

Not every company is blessed with a Giga-fraudster CEO with 100% control and a license to defraud freely.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
I’ve never been in a Plaid but I have been in an S P100D that did 2.4 to 60 and a 10.3@128ish. It’s crazy fast for sure, but, aside from the G there’s nothing happening. So, once you acclimate to that, which you do, there’s no other sensation getting stimulated. Of course 10s are fast and no doubt 9s with a 1.5 G launch are nuts, no dispute, but your body gets used to those things if you experience them frequently.
Yeah I don’t do drag racing, only road course stuff, but if did go, I’d take my 6-speed Camaro every time. The challenge of launching and shifting a rwd manual car sounds like a lot more fun than a stomp and go EV. I’d also have a reason to go back to continue to improve my skills.

Anto

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
Having had 1k miles under my belt now on my GT....While I'd love to see the boost duration extended, I couldn't imagine making sacrifices every single day in driving comfort, aesthetics, handling, braking, lacking features like 360 cams, bluecruise, blind spot monitoring in the right spot, etc just so I could have more than the 5 seconds of boost.

Everything is give an take...that would be a whoooooole lot of give. Edmunds definitely doesn't share my opinion on the final thoughts.
I got a GTPE at the beginning of October one of the first. Very happy about looking comfort handling driving..than I discovered by myself driving it this 5 sec rule..I couldn't belive it..the problem is is not just 5sec full power but even if you push for a couple o turns having some fun and sport driving without floor for 5 sec but 2 or 3 second at the time the car die after 2 turns and is very bad..cancel all the good there are (looking, handling etc..)
Who buys a GT or more like me a GTPE for 70k buy for Performance and you can not have just 2 turns in a row and the car dies is inaceptble like Edmunds says ..IT IS A PERFORMANCE MODEL WHAT IS THE POINT?
Any way Ford was measleading with the marketing of the car didn't mention this at all. If I knew probably I wasn't order one and saved the money for a Tesla Y performance that I never liked and looks like a Fish/Panda mix? handle bad but at least push hard and it is fun.
Very bad for Ford unfair for customer..if Ford wasn't able to make a decent performance ev yet should have waited longer and improve his technology and most of all should have not betrayed his customers.
I just hope that seeing all the complains Ford can act software wise and fix this problem even if will cost them some money in warranty because some battery will go bad but they will have to fix the damage they create to customer like me and many other will find this big problem that will be the major part of people that buy a GTPE becouse you buy for PERFORMANCE!!!!!

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
God, I hope so. I've never seen someone so miserable about a car they own. I understand if you have complaints with it, but then spending multiple hours a day moaning on the internet about it.... :D Just sell it, especially in the current market.
Hard to sell a car with factory paint damage. Maybe I will once its fixed.

You wanna see some real sad sacks check out the guys that spend multiple hours a day defending the cars poor traps speeds and they don't even own one.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Hard to sell a car with factory paint damage. Maybe I will once its fixed.

You wanna see some real sad sacks check out the guys that spend multiple hours a day defending the cars poor traps speeds and they don't even own one.
Be honest, if you actually were mad enough to sell it, you could do so in just a few hours, and even make money on the deal.

Carvana, Vroom, CarMax, etc will buy it as is, “paint damage” and all.

As mad as you are about the acceleration, you still want to keep it in the hopes that they fix it. Or it’s still not bad enough and you can live with it.

But don’t pretend you aren’t able to sell it.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
as mad as I am, I am loving this GTPE. Enough to hang on to it for awhile. It does leave another rock in the stomach tho regarding Ford.

Time will tell, depending on how Ford handles this deception. Again, they knew early on. their decision might be based on the safety side, or perhaps on an effort to keep the mileage in acceptable range because racing really chews that up too. I doubt it was just battery heat related. Numbers carry weight.

rsviking1001

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach - E
Occupation
IT/Managed services
Country flag
Such a shame that the Mustang basically beats the Tesla in nearly every category, but the stupid power limitation kills the recommendation from Edmunds.

Ford says they limit the power delivery to five seconds to "preserve the battery life"...but why don't they just add an option called "GIVE ME THE FUCKING POWER" that warns the user of battery degradation and other BS we don't care about if we're on a lease or Ford Options and unlocks the true power of the car? It's lack of creative thinking at Ford and is sad, frankly.
If that was their Primary reason, then they blew it.
That is software so it can change. Making all the other items irrelevant was dumb.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Be honest, if you actually were mad enough to sell it, you could do so in just a few hours, and even make money on the deal.

Carvana, Vroom, CarMax, etc will buy it as is, “paint damage” and all.

As mad as you are about the acceleration, you still want to keep it in the hopes that they fix it. Or it’s still not bad enough and you can live with it.

But don’t pretend you aren’t able to sell it.
Yeah they'll buy it with paint damage. This is what Vroom offered me:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach-E GT vs. Model Y Performance Comparison Review 1637415339681

Is that what you meant by "sell it in a few hours and make money on the deal?"

Which one of those did you get a quote from that would allow me to sell it in a few hours for a profit? Or were you not being honest?
Sponsored