DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Again, I'm so happy for all of the folks on this board that will get their cars in the next month or so. I can't wait to read your reviews and impressions.
I think you'll love the more relaxing driving experience of a BEV, even at Freeway speeds where the difference between BEVs and ICEs is less.

Did you lease the MY?
Sponsored

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
HAHAHA Dude, for real....as I was reading this article, I was like WOW - Impressive. There's no doubt in my mind that the Mach-E is going to be a great car.

In regards to Tech, I don't really care about Apple Play integration. I've rented cars that have it included, and I don't care for it. I do kinda wish the Tesla had the driver's display, but when I test drove the Y, I felt like I didn't really miss it. I actually enjoy the minimalist feel, so I don't need buttons, the volume dial on the screen, etc. I know a lot of people prefer it though, so I understand. In regards to comfort, I enjoyed the ride of the Y. They let us take the car home for the night, so we drove it a lot, and it felt comfortable to me. Granted, I didn't get to drive a Mach-E, so who knows? I do like that the Y sits up higher than the Mach-E, and for me, that was important. In regards to range, I got the Long Range model, so 326 - which I think is more than the Mach-E extended range, especially with Ford holding back on some of that range. It's probably a wash though. What really sold me was access to the SuperCharger network. It's more about convenience than anything else.

With all of that said, I have NOTHING negative to say about the Mach-E. I think I would have been just as happy in that car -- whenever it arrived. Quite frankly, if my dealer was a little more proactive, friendly, professional, and empathetic, I may have actually stayed with the Ford. It was his lackluster response to my questions that finally convinced me to test drive the Y. In fact, before the test drive, my wife was adamant that we would NOT get a Tesla. After the test drive and the night with the Model Y, she changed her mind. Ultimately, it was our decision, but I probably wouldn't have even test drove the Tesla but for the Dealer's actions (or non-action).

Again, I'm so happy for all of the folks on this board that will get their cars in the next month or so. I can't wait to read your reviews and impressions.
Good luck with the Y. Enjoy.

B Gray

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Fusion. Pre Mach-E Carb Gray
Country flag
Hope this isn't a mute question. With regards to charging stations. FordPass is suppose to have 2 yrs free at certain stations. Like Tesla, will Ford have free charging at the dealerships. That is basically how Tesla got going here in CA. Grab a free coffee in the lounge and wait for a charge.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Hope this isn't a mute question. With regards to charging stations. FordPass is suppose to have 2 yrs free at certain stations. Like Tesla, will Ford have free charging at the dealerships. That is basically how Tesla got going here in CA. Grab a free coffee in the lounge and wait for a charge.
Unless things changed, last I heard for the Mach E is:
The amount of free charging is 250.0 kWh, or roughly three to five fill-ups of free power

I think there might be free access to EA network for so many years for easy charging, but doesn't include free charging (beyond the 250 kWh).

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I think you'll love the more relaxing driving experience of a BEV, even at Freeway speeds where the difference between BEVs and ICEs is less.

Did you lease the MY?
Yes, this is my first BEV experience. Driving the Model Y was my first time ever with an electric vehicle. I really liked it. We are financing the MY.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Anyone know what the rear cargo capacity of the Y is without the seats being folded? It seems to be a mystery as the only number that I can find is with the rear seats folded down.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I was surprised that the MY got the nod on Performance. The article says this was because the MY does a better job of blending regen and mechanical braking. That is certainly possible -- not in any position to judge -- but from all reports the MME handles much better than the Model Y. I'd place more emphasis on handling and driving dynamics than on blended braking, and I'd think Edmunds would as well. Consequently the conclusion of that comparison was puzzling.
Agreed. I was a bit surprised by this. Right - in the reviews we've seen, the Mach-E's handling was praised.
I'm also surprised that they didn't mention that the Mach-E's models actually match the Model Y's 0-60 times exactly. 4.8 seconds to 4.8 seconds for the LR AWD / 4eX.
And 3.5 seconds for both the performance model Y and performance GT.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed. I was a bit surprised by this. Right - in the reviews we've seen, the Mach-E's handling was praised.
I'm also surprised that they didn't mention that the Mach-E's models actually match the Model Y's 0-60 times exactly. 4.8 seconds to 4.8 seconds for the LR AWD / 4eX.
Does Ford's number of 4.8 include the 1 ft rollout or is it without? The LR Y is 4.6 with rollout, 4.8 without.

Anyone have a link to their real world test for the MYP range? Before the cold weather arrived, my LR Y was getting 242 wh/mi or 309 miles of range with the bulk of the miles being prior to the efficiency update late fall. Since December 1, my wh/mi is 260, which is still 289 miles of range. Attached is the screenshot showing my efficiency since the colder temps (anywhere from 25 F to 45 F).

20210127_134034.jpg

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
The model Y weighs less which in the handling stakes gives it an advantage over the mach-e, in regards to driving of the mach-e I have seen mixed reviews some giving praise to aspects while others being negative towards the same, so it is going to depend on the driver.

I currently have a GT reserved but ultimately that will depend on final specs and price as at present the GT needs to come in either at lower price point than the performance Y or they increase the performance specs over the existing paper ones. As a result I am eagerly awaiting one of my local dealers to get a demo premium that I can take for a test drive to make up my own mind in regards to handling rather than trust the mixed comments of reviewers as if the GT ends up not living up to expectations then the premium will be fine if it drives well.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Yes, this is my first BEV experience. Driving the Model Y was my first time ever with an electric vehicle. I really liked it. We are financing the MY.
I doubt you'll ever be willing to go back, though a serial hybrid gives you a lot of the same benefits.

I'm usually agnostic when it comes to the buy/lease question, and I dislike closed end leases, but you might want to lease. I know you said delivery was in a week so I'm assuming you still have time to do that.

Two main reasons for this. One is that the competitive landscape will likely force significant price cuts in the MY. (I'd expect the MME to see effective price cuts of at least $10K unless the tax credits are extended). Two is that the cost advantage of buying versus leasing doesn't materialize until years seven through ten, and I'm fairly certain that maintaining a seven or eight or nine year old Tesla will not be cheap.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The model Y weighs less which in the handling stakes gives it an advantage over the mach-e, in regards to driving of the mach-e I have seen mixed reviews some giving praise to aspects while others being negative towards the same, so it is going to depend on the driver.
Maybe confirmation bias, but I can't remember any reviews that faulted the MME handling. Can you provide some examples?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag