sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I haven't been to Cecil is over 20 years. I always went to Maple Grove Raceway, Atco, and Old Bridge Raceway Park. Not sure if they have chargers there. Based upon my drive, I'll be able to make it there with 88-90% if I charge to 98-99%.

Attached is my Dragy run with the crappy stock all season tires. I have a set of Forgestar CF10s that weigh about 5 lbs less per corner, so I'll put on stickier summer tires on those.
Yeah, I've actually only ever been to Atco and Maple Grove. Never Cecil Co :)
I see your 60ft is a little bit slow, that's the tires.
On the Mach-E it will be worse. The tires are extremely narrow for maximum range.

That 1/4 mile time is just slightly slower than my '08 GT, which had a 500hp supercharger. That was about 12seconds flat.
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I've actually only ever been to Atco and Maple Grove. Never Cecil Co :)
I see your 60ft is a little bit slow, that's the tires.
On the Mach-E it will be worse. The tires are extremely narrow for maximum range.

That 1/4 mile time is just slightly slower than my '08 GT, which had a 500hp supercharger. That was about 12seconds flat.
Actually it's Tesla dialing back the power on the Y. It's speculation they did it due to the extra 409 lbs the Y has over the Model 3. They compensated by keeping the Y powerband higher from 30-90 mph, which is where the 3 runs out of breath.

I've seen Ys with summer tires with the same "lag" in the powerband from 0-10.

I'm hoping with the lighter wheels and summer tires to shave off a tenth or two. I have a few friends cars that should run 12.0s-12.5, so there should be some good races. 2015 Mustang GT350, 2020 Supra GR, a few older C6 and C7 Vettes, Pontiac GTO, etc. The M3P should have no problem with them but the Y should be close.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Actually it's Tesla dialing back the power on the Y. It's speculation they did it due to the extra 409 lbs the Y has over the Model 3. They compensated by keeping the Y powerband higher from 30-90 mph, which is where the 3 runs out of breath.

I've seen Ys with summer tires with the same "lag" in the powerband from 0-10.

I'm hoping with the lighter wheels and summer tires to shave off a tenth or two. I have a few friends cars that should run 12.0s-12.5, so there should be some good races. 2015 Mustang GT350, 2020 Supra GR, a few older C6 and C7 Vettes, Pontiac GTO, etc. The M3P should have no problem with them but the Y should be close.
That's fun. But you know things can go in any direction at the track, due to traction or temperature or what have you.
I cannot wait until there's a Mustang Coupe EV out there. It should be supercar fast.

Hey, I am not asking this to be judgemental, I am just genuinely curious -- what brings you to the Mach-E forum? Do you have a Mach-E ordered?

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's fun. But you know things can go in any direction at the track, due to traction or temperature or what have you.
I cannot wait until there's a Mustang Coupe EV out there. It should be supercar fast.

Hey, I am not asking this to be judgemental, I am just genuinely curious -- what brings you to the Mach-E forum? Do you have a Mach-E ordered?
The MME was on the list of cars I was interested in, but back in January 2020, it wasn't really known when it was launching and how far back I'd be on the waiting list. Ultimately the Model Y was purchased because of sooner availability, most likely higher efficiency, more readily available and higher reliability of the Tesla supercharger in the Mid-Atlantic region, known performance/acceleration, etc. There were still a lot of MME unknowns 12 months ago and I didn't want to wait. No regrets, though. There's a lot of Tesla bashing around here because people rely on what they see on YouTube and other social media outlets. Most of the YT videos are click bait just to get people to view and get that ad money. If you talk to the other 98% of owners, the vast majority of them are happy with their purchase. Yeah there are problems but it's not as widespread as people make it out to be. We wouldn't be a two Tesla household if we weren't confident in the product.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
The MME was on the list of cars I was interested in, but back in January 2020, it wasn't really known when it was launching and how far back I'd be on the waiting list. Ultimately the Model Y was purchased because of sooner availability, most likely higher efficiency, more readily available and higher reliability of the Tesla supercharger in the Mid-Atlantic region, known performance/acceleration, etc. There were still a lot of MME unknowns 12 months ago and I didn't want to wait. No regrets, though. There's a lot of Tesla bashing around here because people rely on what they see on YouTube and other social media outlets. Most of the YT videos are click bait just to get people to view and get that ad money. If you talk to the other 98% of owners, the vast majority of them are happy with their purchase. Yeah there are problems but it's not as widespread as people make it out to be. We wouldn't be a two Tesla household if we weren't confident in the product.
Thanks for explaining. No judgement here. I'm glad you're happy with them. We do have some other current Tesla owners, who are switching or adding a Mach-E to their garage.
Obviously this is a Mach-E forum and people are biased, but I've spent time on the Tesla forums, too. There's a definite "Tesla or bust" mentality there. I'm glad that attitude isn't as pronounced here, for the Mach-E, (yet?). It can be toxic.

Congrats on your Y!

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for explaining. No judgement here. I'm glad you're happy with them. We do have some other current Tesla owners, who are switching or adding a Mach-E to their garage.
Obviously this is a Mach-E forum and people are biased, but I've spent time on the Tesla forums, too. There's a definite "Tesla or bust" mentality there. I'm glad that attitude isn't as pronounced here, for the Mach-E, (yet?). It can be toxic.

Congrats on your Y!
Yeah, Tesla fan boys are everywhere, as are the MME. Everyone thinks their product is superior. Personally, I don't care what people think. If you read through my posts and replies, I tend to be more technical and deal with facts. The majority of Tesla owners aren't car people. They're coming from minivans, luxury crossovers and SUVs.

A lot of MME future owners here also lack full knowledge on Teslas and other EVs. Pros and cons to each brand. For me, the efficiency numbers and speed/acceleration on the Tesla is what matters more to me. Ford went the route with a higher battery capacity at the expense of more weight to reach the numbers needed. 310-350 wh/mi efficiency versus what my car is getting, which is 240-270 wh/mi under the same conditions. That extra 400 lbs on the MME is pretty significant, for me at least. If Ford can make the MME in the 4300-4400 lb range, I think my decision on the Y might've been different.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A lot of MME future owners here also lack full knowledge on Teslas and other EVs. Pros and cons to each brand. For me, the efficiency numbers and speed/acceleration on the Tesla is what matters more to me. Ford went the route with a higher battery capacity at the expense of more weight to reach the numbers needed. 310-350 wh/mi efficiency versus what my car is getting, which is 240-270 wh/mi under the same conditions. That extra 400 lbs on the MME is pretty significant, for me at least. If Ford can make the MME in the 4300-4400 lb range, I think my decision on the Y might've been different.
I don't think there are too many people on this board who wouldn't buy a Tesla Model Y or 3 if the Mach E wasn't on the market. Many of us have test driven a Tesla or own(ed) one, and we absolutely respect the design. I test drove a Model Y in December and I think the Model Y is a great car; I would have considered ordering one if it weren't for the $7,500 federal tax credit I can still get with the MME.

I suspect there's an underlying motivation among many of us who have ordered the MME. That is to reward Ford Motor Company for finally coming to the BEV party. The MME is a symbol of the Big Three finally getting their collective head screwed on straight and meeting the demand for zero emission vehicles. With GM (sorry...I mean 'gm') announcing today an end to ICE vehicle production by 2035 [General Motors plans to exclusively offer electric vehicles by 2035 (cnbc.com)], the new era is really upon us. Tesla helped to steer the market in this direction, and for that I am thankful. That said, Tesla is awesome, and I can't wait for my Mustang Mach E!

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The performance aspect of EVs is what's sold me on making the switch from gas and it's so cool that with an OTA update, the car's specs can be significantly improved.

The MME AWD ER was my initial choice with a competitive acceleration and range to the Y LR but the window of opportunity for me to finally get a Mustang GT is hard to pass up. If nothing else, I'll be on par with a Boosted Y LR and can beat an I-PACE off the line.

I think we're all eagerly waiting for those YouTube vids to drop of head:head tests of the Y LR and MME AWD ER. My guess is that the Y will out kick the MME in acceleration, hold a corner a bit better due to wider tires, and recharge appreciably faster.

That being said, if the MME is close enough to the Y's specs in terms of acceleration, range, and recharging abilities then that stuff actually doesn't matter as much as appearance, interior, fit/finish, after sales support, etc. It's for those reasons I think Ford has a hit on its hands to the befuddlement of so many Tesla enthusiasts.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, Tesla fan boys are everywhere, as are the MME. Everyone thinks their product is superior. Personally, I don't care what people think. If you read through my posts and replies, I tend to be more technical and deal with facts. The majority of Tesla owners aren't car people. They're coming from minivans, luxury crossovers and SUVs.

Respectfully, I don't think "MME fans" are anywhere near the same level of fervor as some Tesla hyperfans - probably the absence of an equivalent Ford "Elon Musk" figurehead is to blame. Darren Palmer is probably the closest thing, and his name is not exactly common knowledge.

That being said, of course we all have gaps in our knowledge on both brands. Personally, I always strive to be completely objective to the best of my ability on here. And I'm always learning and absorbing new information.

I'm grateful to have you here on our forum, so feel free to chime in as an opinion from "the other side" as much as needed.

Tesla's been in the EV business for much longer than Ford, so its' no surprise that their efficiency numbers are higher. A lot of that is attributable to a lower weight and better aerodynamic profile, which Ford has traded in somewhat to have a more familiar "car-like" shape that people will be more likely to buy. And in the end, with this car, they're going for sales. As their first venture into the mass-produced EV market (not counting the focus electric or C-max), I think they launched a home run. Hopefully it only improves with OTA updates.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't think there are too many people on this board who wouldn't buy a Tesla Model Y or 3 if the Mach E wasn't on the market. Many of us have test driven a Tesla or own(ed) one, and we absolutely respect the design. I test drove a Model Y in December and I think the Model Y is a great car; I would have considered ordering one if it weren't for the $7,500 federal tax credit I can still get with the MME.
I don't know about "too many people", but I've long since stopped trying to be impartial on Tesla and their cars on this forum.

I rented a Model S less than two years ago. It was absolutely not a great car. It made it clear to me that their cars are simply overrated. Under 24 hours and the infotainment crashed twice taking the dash with it. Basic failures of environment detection that made it clear they will absolutely never have true FSD. A charging door that didn't work like it's supposed to and a wonky charging experience at a mall destination charger. Screwed up volume control design. Just so many things that drove me crazy in such a short time, things that would forever bother me, and I have absolutely no reason to believe that the basic quality mindset has changed at the company at all.

If the Mach-E wasn't coming out, it's very possible I wouldn't be buying anything. Maybe a Niro? Maybe a Mustang ICE GT convertible? Maybe an I-Pace? Maybe just not spending the money? I really don't know since it's completely hypothetical at this point.

I don't respect anything about Tesla except that they've moved the industry towards BEVs much faster than otherwise would have inevitably happened.

But respecting their design? Nope. They designed this:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach E vs. Tesla Model Y comparison review 1611867645619

I guess that makes me a fervent anti-fan.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I haven't been to Cecil is over 20 years. I always went to Maple Grove Raceway, Atco, and Old Bridge Raceway Park. Not sure if they have chargers there. Based upon my drive, I'll be able to make it there with 88-90% if I charge to 98-99%.

Attached is my Dragy run with the crappy stock all season tires. I have a set of Forgestar CF10s that weigh about 5 lbs less per corner, so I'll put on stickier summer tires on those.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach E vs. Tesla Model Y comparison review 1611867645619
Throw those numbers out...you were driving downhill.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If folks are interested, I’ll do a complete, honest review of my Model Y delivery experience, scheduled for Tuesday. I’m bringing a checklist with me and will specifically look for fit & finish issues. I’ll let you guys know how it goes and if I run into any issues. Hopefully not.

rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
If folks are interested, I’ll do a complete, honest review of my Model Y delivery experience, scheduled for Tuesday. I’m bringing a checklist with me and will specifically look for fit & finish issues. I’ll let you guys know how it goes and if I run into any issues. Hopefully not.
that will be great to see
several of my friends have Tesla and are very happy
The most recent purchase of a Y required a trip to repair a couple of small issues on delivery. I have been lucky to drive all the variants of Tesla. It is a great company which spurred innovation and more people to consider BEVs. All vehicles have their plusses and minuses. Tesla BMS and software is awesome but have many years of data to manipulate. Data is King! Ford will get there and my Tesla friends are excited to drive my Mach E.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
âś‹ Here is one. I have been looking at Tesla's for years. First there was the S - that I liked, but when it came out, no way I could afford. Then came the 3 - and I am just not interested in a small sedan, even though I could afford it. By the time the Y came out, I had done more homework and really did not want to deal with what I will just call "The Tesla Experience". We once had an Escape Hybrid, and until the Mach E, I was going to get the Escape PHEV. We also have a Fusion PHEV (wife's car who prefers a traditional sedan). I was never happier than the night they launched the Mach E!

The minimalism of the Tesla cars really does not appeal to me either. And as far as those new designs of the S and X - those folks have lost their minds with that steering wheel.

I am genuinely happy for you and really want to know. You know what would be really interesting is if someone were near you after they got their Mach E, and you guys could trade off for a week and give impressions. I DO think a lot of us want to know the good, and the bad.
Sponsored