Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
New article from Edmunds with a direct comparison of MME and Tesla Model Y. Mach E comes out the winner, even beating out the Model Y on driving range.

Edmunds: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. 2020 Tesla Model Y (apnews.com)

Edmunds: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. 2020 Tesla Model Y

January 27, 2020

Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach E vs. Tesla Model Y comparison review 800

The 2020 Tesla Model Y is an intriguing pick for an electric SUV. It has a relatively small footprint but provides cavernous passenger and cargo space. And with a current entry price of $43,190 including destination and handling fees, it’s also one the most affordable electric SUVs around.

But there’s a new rival aimed at taking on the Model Y: the all-new 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E. The Mach-E is priced competitively. It starts at $43,995 and, unlike Tesla, still qualifies for federal tax credits. But which EV is better? Edmunds’ experts tested both to find out.

DRIVING PERFORMANCE

Teslas have earned a reputation for laughably quick, sports car-beating speed, and it holds true for the Model Y. Even when you aren’t trying to break the sound barrier, the Model Y provides an easy but engaging driving experience with responsive steering, sporty handling and smooth, shift-free power delivery.

Ford’s Mustang Mach-E delivers speed that nearly matches the Model Y at comparable trim levels as well as an entertaining driving experience. Just like the Tesla, you can bring the Mach-E to a stop solely using the regenerative braking to recoup energy. But Ford hasn’t done as well smoothing out the transition to regular braking when you press on the brake pedal.

Winner: Tesla Model Y

TECHNOLOGY

Tesla has taken over-the-air software updates to a whole new level. Adding new features, fixing issues and extending battery range to its vehicles are just a few things it’s done wirelessly over the years. Like the Model Y, the Mach-E can also receive over-the-air updates after you’ve bought the vehicle.

Inside, the Model Y has a minimalistic design highlighted by a large center touchscreen. It looks chic but can lead to driver distraction because so many of the car’s controls are routed through the screen. The Mach-E also has a large center touchscreen, but there are more physical buttons plus a digital gauge cluster to help you keep your eyes on the road. On top of this is standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, two features unavailable on the Model Y.

Winner: Ford Mustang Mach-E

UTILITY

The Tesla Model Y’s rear cargo area is massive. The rear seatbacks conveniently fold flat to accommodate longer items, and there’s a removable cargo floor that hides storage space underneath. There’s a big space under the front trunk for even more space to stash your stuff.

The Mach-E also has a pretty good-sized rear cargo area with folding rear seats, but it can’t match the volume of space the Model Y offers. Its front trunk is smaller too, though it does come with a drain plug that allows you to drain out water from cleaning or melted ice after tailgating.

COMFORT

Comfort is an important aspect for any vehicle you plan to spend time in every day, and the Model Y provides this to a good degree, with a few caveats. The seats are well padded and supportive in all the right areas, but the upholstery doesn’t breathe well, which is an issue if you live in warmer climates. A quiet cabin is pretty common among luxury EVs, and the Model Y likewise insulates well against exterior noise.

The Mustang Mach-E is a degree or two more comfortable than the Model Y in nearly all areas. The seat cushions are softer and have breathable perforated upholstery, and the suspension better soaks up bumps in the road. Even the climate control feels a tad more powerful and is easier to adjust.

REAL-WORLD RANGE

Tesla continues to be a range leader in virtually every EV segment. Owners also benefit from Tesla’s exclusive Supercharger network, which is currently the most hassle-free network for fast charging. The Model Y has an EPA-estimated range between 244 miles and 326 miles.
However, Edmunds conducts its own real-world range testing on EVs and has found that Teslas, in most cases, don’t achieve their range estimates. For example, a 2020 Model Y Performance that Edmunds tested had an EPA-estimated range of 291 miles but Edmunds managed only 263 miles.

Ford’s Mustang Mach-E’s EPA estimates range from 211 miles to 300 miles. Edmunds’ real-world range test of an all-wheel-drive Mach-E, with an EPA-estimated range of 270 miles, resulted in an impressive 304 miles.

EDMUNDS SAYS

There are a lot of great things about the Tesla Model Y including vast amounts of interior space, exciting driving performance and access to Tesla’s Supercharger network. These two EVs are closely matched, but the Ford Mustang Mach-E wins this comparison thanks to its superior comfort and user-friendly technology.
Sponsored

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
However, Edmunds conducts its own real-world range testing on EVs and has found that Teslas, in most cases, don’t achieve their range estimates. For example, a 2020 Model Y Performance that Edmunds tested had an EPA-estimated range of 291 miles but Edmunds managed only 263 miles.

Ford’s Mustang Mach-E’s EPA estimates range from 211 miles to 300 miles. Edmunds’ real-world range test of an all-wheel-drive Mach-E, with an EPA-estimated range of 270 miles, resulted in an impressive 304 miles.

WOW, this is a ridiculous disparity. Crossing fingers that my RWD ER also gets 10% more range than stated!

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Edmunds: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. 2020 Tesla Model Y
By JONATHAN ELFALAN2 hours ago

800.jpg
1 of 2
This photo provided by Ford shows the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E, an all-new compact electric compact SUV. (James Lipman /Ford Motor Co. via AP)

The 2020 Tesla Model Y is an intriguing pick for an electric SUV. It has a relatively small footprint but provides cavernous passenger and cargo space. And with a current entry price of $43,190 including destination and handling fees, it’s also one the most affordable electric SUVs around.
But there’s a new rival aimed at taking on the Model Y: the all-new 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E. The Mach-E is priced competitively. It starts at $43,995 and, unlike Tesla, still qualifies for federal tax credits. But which EV is better? Edmunds’ experts tested both to find out.
DRIVING PERFORMANCE
ADVERTISEMENT

Teslas have earned a reputation for laughably quick, sports car-beating speed, and it holds true for the Model Y. Even when you aren’t trying to break the sound barrier, the Model Y provides an easy but engaging driving experience with responsive steering, sporty handling and smooth, shift-free power delivery.
Ford’s Mustang Mach-E delivers speed that nearly matches the Model Y at comparable trim levels as well as an entertaining driving experience. Just like the Tesla, you can bring the Mach-E to a stop solely using the regenerative braking to recoup energy. But Ford hasn’t done as well smoothing out the transition to regular braking when you press on the brake pedal.
TECHNOLOGY
Tesla has taken over-the-air software updates to a whole new level. Adding new features, fixing issues and extending battery range to its vehicles are just a few things it’s done wirelessly over the years. Like the Model Y, the Mach-E can also receive over-the-air updates after you’ve bought the vehicle.
Inside, the Model Y has a minimalistic design highlighted by a large center touchscreen. It looks chic but can lead to driver distraction because so many of the car’s controls are routed through the screen. The Mach-E also has a large center touchscreen, but there are more physical buttons plus a digital gauge cluster to help you keep your eyes on the road. On top of this is standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, two features unavailable on the Model Y.
UTILITY
The Tesla Model Y’s rear cargo area is massive. The rear seatbacks conveniently fold flat to accommodate longer items, and there’s a removable cargo floor that hides storage space underneath. There’s a big space under the front trunk for even more space to stash your stuff.
The Mach-E also has a pretty good-sized rear cargo area with folding rear seats, but it can’t match the volume of space the Model Y offers. Its front trunk is smaller too, though it does come with a drain plug that allows you to drain out water from cleaning or melted ice after tailgating.
ADVERTISEMENT

COMFORT
Comfort is an important aspect for any vehicle you plan to spend time in every day, and the Model Y provides this to a good degree, with a few caveats. The seats are well padded and supportive in all the right areas, but the upholstery doesn’t breathe well, which is an issue if you live in warmer climates. A quiet cabin is pretty common among luxury EVs, and the Model Y likewise insulates well against exterior noise.
The Mustang Mach-E is a degree or two more comfortable than the Model Y in nearly all areas. The seat cushions are softer and have breathable perforated upholstery, and the suspension better soaks up bumps in the road. Even the climate control feels a tad more powerful and is easier to adjust.
REAL-WORLD RANGE
Tesla continues to be a range leader in virtually every EV segment. Owners also benefit from Tesla’s exclusive Supercharger network, which is currently the most hassle-free network for fast charging. The Model Y has an EPA-estimated range between 244 miles and 326 miles.
EDMUNDS SAYS
There are a lot of great things about the Tesla Model Y including vast amounts of interior space, exciting driving performance and access to Tesla’s Supercharger network. These two EVs are closely matched, but the Ford Mustang Mach-E wins this comparison thanks to its superior comfort and user-friendly technology.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Don't tell @DaveRuns , he will have buyers remorse before he even buys, lol...
HAHAHA Dude, for real....as I was reading this article, I was like WOW - Impressive. There's no doubt in my mind that the Mach-E is going to be a great car.

In regards to Tech, I don't really care about Apple Play integration. I've rented cars that have it included, and I don't care for it. I do kinda wish the Tesla had the driver's display, but when I test drove the Y, I felt like I didn't really miss it. I actually enjoy the minimalist feel, so I don't need buttons, the volume dial on the screen, etc. I know a lot of people prefer it though, so I understand. In regards to comfort, I enjoyed the ride of the Y. They let us take the car home for the night, so we drove it a lot, and it felt comfortable to me. Granted, I didn't get to drive a Mach-E, so who knows? I do like that the Y sits up higher than the Mach-E, and for me, that was important. In regards to range, I got the Long Range model, so 326 - which I think is more than the Mach-E extended range, especially with Ford holding back on some of that range. It's probably a wash though. What really sold me was access to the SuperCharger network. It's more about convenience than anything else.

With all of that said, I have NOTHING negative to say about the Mach-E. I think I would have been just as happy in that car -- whenever it arrived. Quite frankly, if my dealer was a little more proactive, friendly, professional, and empathetic, I may have actually stayed with the Ford. It was his lackluster response to my questions that finally convinced me to test drive the Y. In fact, before the test drive, my wife was adamant that we would NOT get a Tesla. After the test drive and the night with the Model Y, she changed her mind. Ultimately, it was our decision, but I probably wouldn't have even test drove the Tesla but for the Dealer's actions (or non-action).

Again, I'm so happy for all of the folks on this board that will get their cars in the next month or so. I can't wait to read your reviews and impressions.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I had heard that the EPA allows a few different methods to come up with the range estimates ... which baffles me because the whole point of the "standard" is that everyone has to use the same one. Regardless of my opinion ... it would explain the results.

In Edmund's tests:

291 mile range Model Y achieved 263 actual miles ... underperforming by 28 miles or about -9.6%
270 mile range Mach-E achieved 304 actual miles ... over-performing by 34 miles or about +12.6%

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
At this point it seems like the main real advantage for Tesla is its supercharge network. Wonder if Ford will continue to invest and partner with network providers to narrow this gap. I'd love for them to come up with their own "free" network down the road when EV's become a bigger part of the lineup, but I don't really see that as a reality. Maybe Biden's EV charging network will come sooner rather than later.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
At this point it seems like the main real advantage for Tesla is its supercharge network. Wonder if Ford will continue to invest and partner with network providers to narrow this gap. I'd love for them to come up with their own "free" network down the road when EV's become a bigger part of the lineup, but I don't really see that as a reality. Maybe Biden's EV charging network will come sooner rather than later.
I think every non-Tesla entity is working on closing the gap and beating the Supercharger network. And I think it will happen a lot faster than most people are expecting.

Right now, EA has about 500 charging stations. They are adding close to 300 more this year. My state, Colorado, is pushing for EV stations and giving grants -- only CCS or J1772 supported. I would assume the Federal Government won't support a proprietary system if they start issuing grants or installing them.

And just yesterday, I heard about this company that just secured more funding that will make it easier to install fast charging in more remote locations (i.e. like at a National Park). It charges batteries using a regular 240v connection and then can use the battery for fast charging and falls back to Level 2 charging when the battery is depleted.
https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger/

It may be a rough for a little while, but I am very optimistic the non-Tesla charging network will be more comprehensive very soon.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
For someone like Ford, the charging network is the easiest problem to solve.

It really solves itself. If the governments want BEV, companies will produce BEVs, then more and more people will complain about public/private charging. So the gov't has created a problem, and it will be looked to for a solution. Infrastructure will have to put in place to support charging stations. It's kind of like the huge government effort around rural electrification.

ToddH

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E RWD X Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting review. However I feel it left out a couple of more positives in favor of the Mache. The dealer network is IMO a positive. When something goes wrong, particularly on a long road trip, knowing that there's a dealer fairly close that can service my vehicle is a plus. Second, the Mache has Sirius XM built in. It's not available on the Teslas. I prefer my satellite radio over any other options while driving. Both of the above were big in my decision to choose the Mache over the Model Y.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Seems fairly apparent for some time that the Mach-E is a better vehicle than the MY. Unless of course the MME proves to have more build and repair issues than the MY. That seems highly unlikely but we won't know for a while.

I was surprised that the MY got the nod on Performance. The article says this was because the MY does a better job of blending regen and mechanical braking. That is certainly possible -- not in any position to judge -- but from all reports the MME handles much better than the Model Y. I'd place more emphasis on handling and driving dynamics than on blended braking, and I'd think Edmunds would as well. Consequently the conclusion of that comparison was puzzling.

Glad to see articles calling out Tesla's EPA range numbers. I don't mind Tesla gaming the numbers -- it's perfectly legal -- but it's annoying when so many people who should know better don't recognize it for what it is.

As a FYI, for the trips I take, and where I live as well, the CCS network is actually better than the Tesla network. That may be because CA got more than its proportionate share of the VW settlement money than other states. No doubt in other places this is not the case.
Sponsored