pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Throw those numbers out...you were driving downhill.
12' difference from the start to finish is not going to make a noticeable difference. It's still well within the acceptable 1% slope.
Sponsored

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
The MME is my preferred car and mine should be built any day now. It's scheduled week is/was 1/18.

I love the Mach E and I'm 95% likely to go through with it.

For me, the items that put me in the Mach E camp are:
- dealer network for repairs and readily available parts
- paint, panels, and other assembly/quality concerns
- the awesome door opening mechanism (the MY looks like it could easily freeze over with just a light layer of ice)
- door and driving pin codes. How cool is that!!
- instrument cluster behind the wheel
- hands free highway during (summer 2021)
- carplay
- regen on 1PD and on the brake pedal

Things that give me pause (and could cause me to not accept delivery):
- no hitch for a bike rack ?
- really bad lease terms, especially not getting a $7500 credit
- DCFC charging times for road trips and weekends driving up to the mountains (really excited to hear actual customer production car reports on this!!)
- no heat pump
- if Biden extends the tax credit, it would probably apply to the MY. unless Ford cuts the price a lot, it would be hard to justify the price of the MME if the MY had a full tax rebate, even if I like the MME better.

Last edited:

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I would say that after seeing the model s refresh that I bet the next model y refresh is going to blow other suvs out the water.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Based on the Model S refresh, it'll only have half a steering whe-
I hear the Einstein CEO claims to have saved 50% of the steering wheel cost with this move for a $100k car. What's next? Seats without the back support?
I just don't see how it will work for parking maneuvers. But what do I know?

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I doubt you'll ever be willing to go back, though a serial hybrid gives you a lot of the same benefits.

I'm usually agnostic when it comes to the buy/lease question, and I dislike closed end leases, but you might want to lease. I know you said delivery was in a week so I'm assuming you still have time to do that.

Two main reasons for this. One is that the competitive landscape will likely force significant price cuts in the MY. (I'd expect the MME to see effective price cuts of at least $10K unless the tax credits are extended). Two is that the cost advantage of buying versus leasing doesn't materialize until years seven through ten, and I'm fairly certain that maintaining a seven or eight or nine year old Tesla will not be cheap.
The LR AWD Y already got a price cut last year, right? In response Ford further cut MME pricing.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Agreed. I was a bit surprised by this. Right - in the reviews we've seen, the Mach-E's handling was praised.
I'm also surprised that they didn't mention that the Mach-E's models actually match the Model Y's 0-60 times exactly. 4.8 seconds to 4.8 seconds for the LR AWD / 4eX.
And 3.5 seconds for both the performance model Y and performance GT.
3.5 seconds is the Performance Edition's "goal"...I have it on good authority that the MME GT PE will do substantially better than the "goal" specs. If you haven't noticed yet, the Mach-E is exceeding all of its "goals".

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, it can be done with more complications. First, the experienced drivers have to throw away their years of neuromuscular training and instincts of handling that wheel and re-train their brains. But then they will have difficulty driving any other car. Like when they have to rent a car at a different location while traveling.

Second, other people can't drive that car easily either. Like when you hand it to a valet.

My guess is that Tesla will have to backtrack on this design. I already read an article that NHTSA is not sure if this qualifies as a proper steering control.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The wheel definitely won't be legal in Europe. It's probably in there for marketing hype, not for practicality. Look at how much hype is built up on social media already.

Reactions: ARK

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I would say that after seeing the model s refresh that I bet the next model y refresh is going to blow other suvs out the water.
How long did it take for the model S to get this refresh? Didn't the Y just come out? By that time, I would guess Tesla won't be the lone leader of the pack. There will be crap loads of other manufacturers and models to compete against. And each will have it's strengths and weaknesses.
Sponsored