First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
So I was 100% sold on the MME but now that I'm on the cusp of placing an order I feel like I ought to do at least a little more due diligence re the Model Y. There's no question the MME looks nicer, but I don't want to make a bad decision based on looks alone.
This has been discussed here for over a year. Search for past discussions...

But the big thing is, go test drive both vehicles.

Neither one has autonomous driving. Neither one will ever be updated to be self driving. Both require an attentive human driver. During your test drives, take them on an open highway and try out the driver assistance features and see which you like better.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
This has been discussed here for over a year. Search for past discussions...

But the big thing is, go test drive both vehicles.

Neither one has autonomous driving. Neither one will ever be updated to be self driving. Both require an attentive human driver. During your test drives, take them on an open highway and try out the driver assistance features and see which you like better.
I'm mainly just curious to know what driver assistance is included with the MY without paying $10k extra. Tesla is pretty shifty about it's website info. The pricing is listed by default as including things like "gas savings" and even after I got to the true cost, it included a $1,500 California Clean Car credit and I don't live in California.

Obviously the MY has a bunch of driver assistance included - so does Ford. The MY has the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. But can I plug in a destination in the MY and drive autonomously on the highway, including lane changes, provided my hand is on the wheel (or I hack it to think my hand is on the wheel)? If that comes standard, I might need to at least take a look at the Y. Or does that level of automation require the $10k?

I think the $10k is crazy speculative and a bad idea for anyone who doesn't have FU money to burn. Tesla folks say they're making an investment, but it is one car / one owner. You can't transfer it to a new owner if you sell the car, and you can't take it with you to a new model.

UPDATE: Found an article that finally cleared it up for me. Tesla's Basic Autopilot doesn't appear to be meaningfully better than Ford's Co-Pilot360. To get lane changes, summoning, and other cool party tricks, it's the $10,000 upgrade to the Full Self Driving Capability package. This package might occasionally be discounted. Regardless, those added capabilities are priced so much higher than I'm willing to pay that it doesn't sway me toward Tesla.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-tesla-autopilot

Last edited:

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Planned obsolescence?
Or poor quality build [component choice] manifesting earlier than Tesla expected and their response is to fabricate a position they never held when designing the vehicle.

Last edited:

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Umm......there are tons of youtubers that did real world range tests with the Model Y and some that have gotten their hands on the Mach-E and the range on the Mach-E was definitely worse than the EPA and lower than the actual real world numbers of the Model Y. Do your research my friend. Tons of youtubers have done these tests already. Which is why this 1 Edmunds article stating the complete opposite is fishy.
I'll trust Edmunds over "tons of youtubers", every time. I suspect there are tons of Y drivers who will testify, if given the chance, that the Y gets much worst range than as advertised. Not enough MMEs out there yet to know.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I'm mainly just curious to know what driver assistance is included with the MY without paying $10k extra. Tesla is pretty shifty about it's website info. The pricing is listed by default as including things like "gas savings" and even after I got to the true cost, it included a $1,500 California Clean Car credit and I don't live in California.

Obviously the MY has a bunch of driver assistance included - so does Ford. The MY has the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. But can I plug in a destination in the MY and drive autonomously on the highway, including lane changes, provided my hand is on the wheel (or I hack it to think my hand is on the wheel)? If that comes standard, I might need to at least take a look at the Y. Or does that level of automation require the $10k?

I think the $10k is crazy speculative and a bad idea for anyone who doesn't have FU money to burn. Tesla folks say they're making an investment, but it is one car / one owner. You can't transfer it to a new owner if you sell the car, and you can't take it with you to a new model.

UPDATE: Found an article that finally cleared it up for me. Tesla's Basic Autopilot doesn't appear to be meaningfully better than Ford's Co-Pilot360. To get lane changes, summoning, and other cool party tricks, it's the $10,000 upgrade to the Full Self Driving Capability package. This package might occasionally be discounted. Regardless, those added capabilities are priced so much higher than I'm willing to pay that it doesn't sway me toward Tesla.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-tesla-autopilot
The standard 'auto-pilot' does NOT come with lane change. You have to pay the $10K. The MY does have stop and go auto-pilot that comes with the car. If following a car on a city street, and the car in front of you stops, the MY will also stop. It will then proceed once the car in front of you starts moving again (at a light or stop sign). It's pretty cool. Also, I've heard from multiple sources that the FSD will be available for a subscription plan soon. You don't have to pay the entire $10K up front. Maybe you're taking a road trip cross-country, and only need the FSD for that month. Maybe it's worth it for that time only.

Last edited:

JoseLuisDeLaCruz

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
CEO and Founder of Parking Heaven
Country flag
I'll trust Edmunds over "tons of youtubers", every time. I suspect there are tons of Y drivers who will testify, if given the chance, that the Y gets much worst range than as advertised. Not enough MMEs out there yet to know.
The range sucks in the cold omg I am definitely getting a Model Y. Ford wtf were you thinking?!?!? No heat pump......dumb decision!

JoseLuisDeLaCruz

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
CEO and Founder of Parking Heaven
Country flag
Yes, and the reviewers commentary coming from a Tesla owner makes it all the more credible.
Sorry but I am not getting it they dropped the ball not putting a heat pump. He getting the same numbers of range I am getting from my Bolt EV in the cold which suck!

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The standard 'auto-pilot' does NOT come with lane change. You have to pay the $10K. The MY does have stop and go auto-pilot that comes with the car. If following a car on a city street, and the car in front of you stops, the MY will also stop. It will then proceed once the car in front of you starts moving again (at a light or stop sign). It's pretty cool. Also, I've heard from multiple sources that the FSD will be available for a subscription plan soon. You don't have to pay the entire $10K up front. Maybe you're taking a road trip cross-country, and only need the FSD for that month. Maybe it's worth it for that time only.
Did you pay to get the home link for the garage opening?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry but I am not getting it they dropped the ball not putting a heat pump. He getting the same numbers of range I am getting from my Bolt EV in the cold which suck!
The Ford Mustang Mach-E “First Edition” is EPA rated at 270 miles on a 88 kWh (usable, 98 kWh total) battery. When I set out for our 180-Mile Vermont snowboarding trip, the range given by the Mach-E was about 204 miles based on previous driving and the outside temperature. If our Tesla Model Y had said that, we wouldn’t have made it. However, the Mach-E was actually under-guessing its range vs. our Model Y, which overestimates it. Luckily, there are EVGO 50kW chargers along the route if there were issues.

• It turns out we actually gained some mileage expectations along the way and made it to the ski condo with about 40 miles of range left. So if you include the mountain climb at the end, that’s pretty fantastic. Also, if you include Tesla’s optimistic range vs. the Mustang’s pessimistic range, we landed with about the same range or percentage of battery as our Model Y. The Mustang’s battery is much bigger with 88kWh usable vs. Tesla’s 75kWh, but its EPA range is lower. Conclusion here: Those are a real 270 miles of range, and even in snow and up a mountain, the Mustang was on track to get very close to that stated range. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Ford OTA update the battery to shrink the buffer and get closer to 300 miles of range in this car like Jaguar and Audi have done with their LG packs.
It was cold and up hill and he tell you that is was an estimate based off other people driving.

Then he says the range was the same as his tesla. Yawn the sky is falling guy.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
The Ford Mustang Mach-E “First Edition” is EPA rated at 270 miles on a 88 kWh (usable, 98 kWh total) battery. When I set out for our 180-Mile Vermont snowboarding trip, the range given by the Mach-E was about 204 miles based on previous driving and the outside temperature. If our Tesla Model Y had said that, we wouldn’t have made it. However, the Mach-E was actually under-guessing its range vs. our Model Y, which overestimates it. Luckily, there are EVGO 50kW chargers along the route if there were issues.

• It turns out we actually gained some mileage expectations along the way and made it to the ski condo with about 40 miles of range left. So if you include the mountain climb at the end, that’s pretty fantastic. Also, if you include Tesla’s optimistic range vs. the Mustang’s pessimistic range, we landed with about the same range or percentage of battery as our Model Y. The Mustang’s battery is much bigger with 88kWh usable vs. Tesla’s 75kWh, but its EPA range is lower. Conclusion here: Those are a real 270 miles of range, and even in snow and up a mountain, the Mustang was on track to get very close to that stated range. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Ford OTA update the battery to shrink the buffer and get closer to 300 miles of range in this car like Jaguar and Audi have done with their LG packs.
It was cold and up hill and he tell you that is was an estimate based off other people driving.

Then he says the range was the same as his tesla. Yawn the sky is falling guy.
It will be very cool if Ford sends out that over the air update to unlock and increase some of the now useable 88kWh, say by about 5% more Ford? If I remember right, the potential for the battery is to reach up to 98.8 kWh, useable? Ford being a bit conservative here, probably a good thing.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Did you pay to get the home link for the garage opening?
No, I’m thinking about it though. My neighbor has it and likes it on his model 3. Apparently it’s GPS-based. It’ll automatically open your garage when you’re near. Also, I live in a gated community, so it would open that too. It sucks they don’t offer it to be installed when you order the car. You have to order the homelink, then they ship it to your house. You then have to schedule a maintenance appointment for them to install it. Not convenient at all.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, I’m thinking about it though. My neighbor has it and likes it on his model 3. Apparently it’s GPS-based. It’ll automatically open your garage when you’re near. Also, I live in a gated community, so it would open that too. It sucks they don’t offer it to be installed when you order the car. You have to order the homelink, then they ship it to your house. You then have to schedule a maintenance appointment for them to install it. Not convenient at all.
i think its worth it for me. its just peace of mind.
Sponsored