Effect of Battery on AWD Driving Performance

JCHLi

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
And don't forget charging a smaller battery takes less time then a big one, so me too I'm going with the SR AWD no need to spend thousands of dollars just for a few road trips a year.
I'm thinking that although it will take longer to fully charge the larger battery, the ER should theoretically charge faster to a point. Since the charge slows down as it gets closer to full.

Just a thought

JamieGeek

Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm thinking that although it will take longer to fully charge the larger battery, the ER should theoretically charge faster to a point. Since the charge slows down as it gets closer to full.

Just a thought
It depends on which charger you're talking about:
  • Level-1 or Level-2: These pretty much charge at a constant rate and thus take the same amount of time to put a kWh into a smaller battery as they do the larger battery. Thus the larger battery will take longer to "fill" it all the way up.
  • DCFC: The ER battery will charge at a faster rate because there are more cells than the smaller battery (at least during the fastest part of the charge cycle)

RyZt

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
The original post was about whether $5000 ER upgrade gives enough extra power to justify it. But I see that follow up comments are also talking about other trade off of spending $5000 on ER.

I'd like to add one thing to the latter topic. The primary factor of battery degradation is number of full charge cycles. As a result, battery life is proportional to its capacity (assuming same chemistry and quality). If it takes 100k miles to reduce SR battery (68 kWh) capacity by 20% (the 20% number is picked arbitrarily), it would take 130k miles to do the same to ER battery (88 kWh). The difference would be even more significant if you compare how many miles it would take to bring the capacity down to any particular absolute value, say 50 kWh.

Of course, all this assumes that the battery will be the first major/expensive component in Mach E to require fix/replacement.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E (CA RT1), 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The original post was about whether $5000 ER upgrade gives enough extra power to justify it. But I see that follow up comments are also talking about other trade off of spending $5000 on ER.

I'd like to add one thing to the latter topic. The primary factor of battery degradation is number of full charge cycles. As a result, battery life is proportional to its capacity (assuming same chemistry and quality). If it takes 100k miles to reduce SR battery (68 kWh) capacity by 20% (the 20% number is picked arbitrarily), it would take 130k miles to do the same to ER battery (88 kWh). The difference would be even more significant if you compare how many miles it would take to bring the capacity down to any particular absolute value, say 50 kWh.

Of course, all this assumes that the battery will be the first major/expensive component in Mach E to require fix/replacement.
Yes, I definitely did the analysis on that for my 100mi/day commute. But, with only charging to 85% and not going below 10% with summer A/C and winter heat eating to efficiency I only got an extra day's trip in the spring in fall. It was a case of having a lot left over when I got home but not quite enough to go another day. Of course, those with different length commutes could see MUCH fewer cycles in a year

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Just a thought
It's a possibility

Advertisement

Advertisement