Nygman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang MachE GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Tax
Country flag
I did about a hundred miles of driving on Sunday and my MachE GTPE (96 to be exact). It was a mix of highways, nice back roads, with some traffic and city driving mixed in. Based on my charger, I put back in 44Kw and here in New York, I pay $.17 per Kw off-peak delivered. Therefore Sunday driving cost me about $7.48 in energy to recharge. I also just so happen to fill up my other car on Sunday, the price for premium unleaded was $4.53 a gallon. It's an inefficient SUV [Ford Flex EcoBoost], that gets about 14 mi to the gallon on average, based on the type of driving my wife and I do. On this fiil it was 13.8, but I'll go with 14. I calculated it would have taken about four and a half gallons or approximately $31 of fuel the cover my Sunday drive If I took the SUV.

If you look at my mi/Kwh you'll see it wasn't a fuel economy run. It was in the mid-2's. I had a fun drive. I know these efficiency numbers don't look great, but from a cost per mile perspective, I'm spending about 7.7 cents a mile in my MME over .32 cents a mile in my SUV. Even if I were to double the fuel economy of my SUV, that would have the cost, to around $.16 a mile still double what it cost to run my MME. I'm driving the MME is way more fun.

I'm curious if anybody else looks at their efficiency this way. I do it quite often, and I'm still amazed by how much less per mile it cost to run. In averages to about a quarter of the cost every time. Sometimes I've seen it a tad bit better, and on a few occasions worse, but I've never seen it more than half the cost.

While my numbers are for the GTPE, I was wondering if anyone can share their real life calculations for other models, in other states, based on the actual cost of electricity. If you have solar and it's free for you, I'm jealous. I'm not really looking to compare that, I just am curious as to the cost per mile in various regions for various models.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm curious if anybody else looks at their efficiency this way. I do it quite often, and I'm still amazed by how much less per mile it cost to run. In averages to about a quarter of the cost every time. Sometimes I've seen it a tad bit better, and on a few occasions worse, but I've never seen it more than half the cost.
Many threads on efficiency.

We get about 3 miles per kWh on our Mach-E, which is around 5.5 cents per mile. The car it replaced isn't comparable, because it was a Fusion Energi with no trunk space and a small gas motor, but it got 35 mpg or sometimes higher.

The efficiency comparison totally depends on the cost of electricity, and of course on gas. Keep in mind that if you were on the highway, fueling at EA, your cost would basically double. But again, you're comparing to a very inefficient vehicle.

We just added a Lightning. Supposed to get around 1.8 or so on the highway. Assuming a 38 cents per kWh (with tax) cost on the highway, that's 21 cents a mile (of course one full charge would be at home, and hotel stay might be free), so cost would be lower. Up the Lightning to 2.1 and the cost drops to 18 cents. Our 2013 F-150, getting if we were lucky 19mpg at $3.25 per gallon would cost 17 cents a mile. Basically equal, paying that full cost on the road, with home charging, depending on how far you go.

The Lightning is a blast to drive. The 2013 is fun, but not anywhere near the fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nygman

Nygman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tax
Country flag
I don't think I'm looking for the same type of information as another efficiency threads. We can all see our miles per kilowatt hour and do rough calculations based on the computer, but I'm looking for something more precise. I looked at the energy at the outlet, going in to top up, which includes overhead. That multiplied by the actual cost per Kwh then divided by the miles you drove from your full point. These numbers aren't the same.

I'm also interested in seeing this cost per mile calc based on those variations in pricing and efficiency based on model, and driving style, which will fluctuate for all of us.

My comparison to my ICE car was just to put it into perspective for me, as it's my other means of transport. I was just pointing out that the cost per mile for me is a quarter of that, and even if I got better gas mileage it's still half as much. Feel free to do your own comparison if you wish, I just thought it'd be interesting to gather some of this information and see how the cost per mile varies between models and locations.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I made this spreadsheet the other day to see what my cost per mile was on my 22 GT vs my 14 Fusion. I also did the math on what the price of gas or mpg would have to be to make my Fusion match the Mach-E. I am lucky enough to have free charging at work and off peak rebates at home, so the math was a little tricky.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Efficiency (Cost per mile) 1684847670792

OP
OP
Nygman

Nygman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tax
Country flag
I made this spreadsheet the other day to see what my cost per mile was on my 22 GT vs my 14 Fusion. I also did the math on what the price of gas or mpg would have to be to make my Fusion match the Mach-E. I am lucky enough to have free charging at work and off peak rebates at home, so the math was a little tricky.
I knew I wasn't alone. Mine isn't as pretty, but gets the job done.

Are you factoring in the delivery overhead on your home charging, inclusive of any pre-conditioning and cabin heat or cooling. I take my KW from my EVSE to get a true count. I know I am not factoring in other fees on my bill, and while I am thinking of adding tax to my spreadsheet, I am not adding a fee allocation as that gets too complicated.

Edit: Maybe it's a Blue GT thing ā˜ŗ

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
I think a useful way of looking at it is to use cost/100miles rather than cost per mile or equivalent MPG.

Using an efficiency of 3 mi/kwh and my current utility rate of $0.11/kwh, I estimate it costs me roughly $3.67 to drive 100 miles. With my previous car (2014 Escape) getting just under 20MPG in mixed driving (it's hilly in Colorado), it would cost $17/100mi at current fuel prices ($3.29/gal).

Another thing that's nice to consider though is that your electric rates will not have the crazy fluctuations and spikes that happen with gasoline prices. So the cost/100miles in an ICE vehicle can be MUCH higher if gas prices go up.

OP
OP
Nygman

Nygman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tax
Country flag
I think a useful way of looking at it is to use cost/100miles rather than cost per mile or equivalent MPG.

Using an efficiency of 3 mi/kwh and my current utility rate of $0.11/kwh, I estimate it costs me roughly $3.67 to drive 100 miles. With my previous car (2014 Escape) getting just under 20MPG in mixed driving (it's hilly in Colorado), it would cost $17/100mi at current fuel prices ($3.29/gal).
While I do this estimate on the go, I wanted to see if anyone tracked more accurate numbers. I have a historic 2.8 mi/Kw per my trip meter I have never reset since purchase. I could always do 2.8 into 38Kw (Per Fordpass) x . 17 and I get .0672 per mile or 6.72 per 100. I am more interested in actual CPM per trip, as I use that as a comparison against my ICE car. Each trip varies and I like to look at each one, or each day differently. Yeah on average I am going to come to the same place but it's just something that I'm interested in I wondered if others do the same. So far it seems to be a grabber blue GT thing. ;)

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
I did about a hundred miles of driving on Sunday and my MachE GTPE (96 to be exact). It was a mix of highways, nice back roads, with some traffic and city driving mixed in. Based on my charger, I put back in 44Kw and here in New York, I pay $.17 per Kw off-peak delivered. Therefore Sunday driving cost me about $7.48 in energy to recharge. I also just so happen to fill up my other car on Sunday, the price for premium unleaded was $4.53 a gallon. It's an inefficient SUV [Ford Flex EcoBoost], that gets about 14 mi to the gallon on average, based on the type of driving my wife and I do. On this fiil it was 13.8, but I'll go with 14. I calculated it would have taken about four and a half gallons or approximately $31 of fuel the cover my Sunday drive If I took the SUV.

If you look at my mi/Kwh you'll see it wasn't a fuel economy run. It was in the mid-2's. I had a fun drive. I know these efficiency numbers don't look great, but from a cost per mile perspective, I'm spending about 7.7 cents a mile in my MME over .32 cents a mile in my SUV. Even if I were to double the fuel economy of my SUV, that would have the cost, to around $.16 a mile still double what it cost to run my MME. I'm driving the MME is way more fun.

While my numbers are for the GTPE, I was wondering if anyone can share their real life calculations for other models, in other states, based on the actual cost of electricity. If you have solar and it's free for you, I'm jealous. I'm not really looking to compare that, I just am curious as to the cost per mile in various regions for various models.
I've been fortunate to have locked in a 3 year contract (expiring in 2 months, boo) at about 8.5c/kWh. My MME is almost identical in size to the BMW X3 I traded in. I have been getting about 2.8mi/kWh which puts me at 3c/mi in my Mach E. The BMW got 27mpg and took premium (about $3.80 in Texas when I traded it, close-ish to that now) so it was ~14c/mi. Throw in $150 oil changes every 10k miles (1.5c/mi) and I'm saving over 10c/mi. I drive about 25,000 miles a year, so it's an easy $2500 savings in gas costs for me. That'll drop a little next year as Texas begins taxing EVs and my electricity rates will be about 3c higher when my contract ends, but it'll still be about $2k in savings every year.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I knew I wasn't alone. Mine isn't as pretty, but gets the job done.

Are you factoring in the delivery overhead on your home charging, inclusive of any pre-conditioning and cabin heat or cooling. I take my KW from my EVSE to get a true count. I know I am not factoring in other fees on my bill, and while I am thinking of adding tax to my spreadsheet, I am not adding a fee allocation as that gets too complicated.

Edit: Maybe it's a Blue GT thing ā˜ŗ
Ya I was pulling the amount delivered from my ChargePoint and the percent and miles from the car, so that should factor in the loss. I have an app for my utility that tells me what my rebate is for each off peak charge session. So that number is subtracted from the total cost for each charge.

The amount I pay for each kW is my total cost of my electric bill divided by the number of kW used, so that should include any fees and taxes.

Excellent choice on the color as well. šŸ˜‰

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
These threads always make me jealous. I live in New England, where I currently pay .32/kWh (delivered), and that was after switching suppliers because National Grid had increased to .48/kWh over the winter. During the time when I was paying the higher rate, it was actually more expensive to drive my MME than my 3-row family hauler SUV (Kia Telluride, 26mpg).

We just had solar panels installed on our roof, but waiting for the inspections before we can turn it on. I'll feel a little better about the situation once that's up an running.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree about the cost per mile, no one knows what their gas car costs per mile, but Iā€™ve found that equivalent MPG or price per gallon makes sense to most people. Most know roughly what their MPG is and they know how much gas is. So if I say to someone, ā€œit would be like gas being a dollar a gallon, or your car averaging 74mpgā€, that seems to click with them.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These threads always make me jealous. I live in New England, where I currently pay .32/kWh (delivered), and that was after switching suppliers because National Grid had increased to .48/kWh over the winter. During the time when I was paying the higher rate, it was actually more expensive to drive my MME than my 3-row family hauler SUV (Kia Telluride, 26mpg).

We just had solar panels installed on our roof, but waiting for the inspections before we can turn it on. I'll feel a little better about the situation once that's up an running.
I feel you, Iā€™m in MA too. We are lucky enough to live in a town that has negotiated a lower supply rate and locked that in a while ago. Also national grid started doing the off peak rebates last summer, so that helps being the cost down. My average with national grid is $.24 per kWh before any rebates.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I feel you, Iā€™m in MA too. We are lucky enough to live in a town that has negotiated a lower supply rate and locked that in a while ago. Also national grid started doing the off peak rebates last summer, so that helps being the cost down. My average with national grid is $.24 per kWh before any rebates.
My city has been waiting over 2 years for the state to review/approve their proposed plan for electricity supply aggregation. It's pretty crazy and puts me in a bad mood to think about how messed up our energy supply situation is.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
If I round down on my m/kWh, estimate high up on my electricity cost, estimate high on the mpg of my gasoline truck, and estimate down on the cost of gas, and don't count the cost of maintenance....in other words, give the biggest benefit of the doubt to the gas vehicle, and If we're just counting the fueling costs:

My truck: $4.33 / gallon / 15 mpg = $0.29 / mile
(Sold) Golf Alltrack: $4.33 / gallon / 25 mpg = $0.17 / mile
Mustang: $0.30/ kWh / 3.1 mpkwh = $0.097 / mile

If I account for the capital costs and the cost of maintenance, then the Mustang will have paid for itself by the end of year 3 or 4 of ownership compared with the pickup and by the end of year 6 compared with the Golf.

The price of gas would have to drop to about $0.60/gallon to make driving the truck an attractive alternative, at least from a total cost of ownership perspective.
Sponsored