Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This has happened to me a few times now, and it seems random. When I get into the car and start it up, instead of getting the normal chimes, played through the sound system, for things like seatbelts, I’ll get primitive 8-bit tones (think old-school video games) that seem to come out of the Instrument Panel, the way the parking sensor beeps do. Sometimes, when this happens, there’s also a total sound system failure. The Audio is off and you can’t turn it on. Trying to “reboot” (volume down-left seek) does nothing.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Sorry, never had that one.

But how awesome would it be if we could change car tones to snippets of old Nintendo and Sega Genesis games?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This is a common issue with all ford vehicles.

I believe it happens if all of the modules don't start up in the correct order. Basically when it comes to make a chime, its either the APIM or the ACM, if it isn't fully ready it will fail back to using the old instrument cluster speaker which doesn't sound good.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This is a common issue with all ford vehicles.

I believe it happens if all of the modules don't start up in the correct order. Basically when it comes to make a chime, its either the APIM or the ACM, if it isn't fully ready it will fail back to using the old instrument cluster speaker which doesn't sound good.
Sigh. That’s sad.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

But how awesome would it be if we could change car tones to snippets of old Nintendo and Sega Genesis games?
Donkey Kong!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
On a related matter, is there a way to turn off the chimes when the display pops up traffic on whatever route it thinks you are going on? I'm tired of hearing them, but don't mind the display pop up.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
As said before it happens in all Fords, but it's actually totally normal basically if the sound system is booted up and ready to go, it will play through the sound system as normal. But if you sit in the car for example with the door open for about 10 minutes before starting it everything goes into power save mode and when you start it up it reverts to the "8 bit" chime since the audio system has gone to sleep

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag

Normal Startup just after getting in

After sitting in the car long enough to let the system go to sleep.

Totally normal. Just a battery saving thing. As a side note I have gotten it once or twice when I should've gotten the "normal" startup. But it's very rare.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Totally normal. Just a battery saving thing. As a side note I have gotten it once or twice when I should've gotten the "normal" startup. But it's very rare.
Here’s the scenario I’m talking about:
Open car door
Sit down
Place phone on charging pad
Fasten seat belt
Press On/Start button

that sequence of events takes approximately 2 minutes, max.Normally, I will get the chimes as in the first video, but sometimes, I’ll get the 8-bit tones. It has nothing to do with the car sitting idle and going to sleep.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag

The last thing I want to play while I’m driving my Mach-E is the Mario Kart soundtrack.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Here’s the scenario I’m talking about:
Open car door
Sit down
Place phone on charging pad
Fasten seat belt
Press On/Start button

that sequence of events takes approximately 2 minutes, max.Normally, I will get the chimes as in the first video, but sometimes, I’ll get the 8-bit tones. It has nothing to do with the car sitting idle and going to sleep.
Yes. That has happened to me on occasion with every Ford I've owned. Rarely, but it does occur. In the time I've had mine (since Easter) on the ME specifically, I've had one day where it happened under what should have been "normal" startup conditions.

That day it happened on every startup cycle until I got to work. After sitting for several hours it went back to normal. ?‍♂

So I'd say if it's once in a blue moon, don't stress about it. If it's more often or accompanied with the audio system not working at all after startup, then there may be a hardware issue with the sound system

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

I’ve heard both, one of those things that I never realized that there were two different types of sound until this thread pointed it out.

I like the way both sound, I think Ford has done a good job of making these types of sounds as unobtrusive as they can be.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes. That has happened to me on occasion with every Ford I've owned. Rarely, but it does occur. In the time I've had mine (since Easter) on the ME specifically, I've had one day where it happened under what should have been "normal" startup conditions.

That day it happened on every startup cycle until I got to work. After sitting for several hours it went back to normal. ?‍♂

So I'd say if it's once in a blue moon, don't stress about it. If it's more often or accompanied with the audio system not working at all after startup, then there may be a hardware issue with the sound system
It’s just one of those things where I’d like does to focus a little effort correcting a detail. I know it’s “small”, but the “small” things do matter. Some people also notice that some of the edges of some plastic pieces aren’t polished smooth (particularly those around the stalks). Again, a small thing, but people pick up on details.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
It’s just one of those things where I’d like does to focus a little effort correcting a detail. I know it’s “small”, but the “small” things do matter. Some people also notice that some of the edges of some plastic pieces aren’t polished smooth (particularly those around the stalks). Again, a small thing, but people pick up on details.
Now I'm curious how often is this happening to you? Daily? Weekly?

It's true that it does happen occasionally. But it's VERY occasionally. I've put 5k miles on in 2 months (I do a lot of driving) and I've had it only happen that one day. In my other Ford experience it happened maybe once every 3 - 4 months at most. So it's REALLY rare in my experience.
Sponsored