Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In several other threads here these past few months, I have mentioned my 3 reasons for wanting to switch from a Premium to a GT/PE (seats, magneride suspension and different front end) but decided to make a thread now that I actually have both.

I've been asked to check if the OEM premium wheels fit on the GT/PE, yes they do with just under 1/4" clearance and if the rotors and calipers are different between the Premium and GT/PE and yes they are (both larger).

Also been asked differences in the ride and that is a tricky one since I replaced the springs and shocks (with non-magneride obviously) on my Premium with the GT version a couple of months back. This firmed up the ride, eliminated a good amount of the bounce the car had and made it handle better. The GT/PE with the magneride shocks make the car ride even smoother but as far as the firmness, my Premium felt like the GT/PE in Engage mode. Whisper seems softer and Unbridled firmer than my premium. Magneride shocks are a big reason I got this car because I like to tune shocks the way I want them. In two days and a little over 200 miles, I can say that in whisper mode, I would like it a bit softer and unbridled mode a lot more firm. In my Focus RS and my GT500, I purchased a DSC Sport controller and adjusted the shocks to my liking. On the RS, I softened up the way to stiff track mode and on the GT500 made a wider difference between normal and sport. I have contacted DSC Sport and they will be coming out with a module for the Mach-E just as soon as they get their hands on a car to test.

Several have asked about the differences in the seats and that is also a tough one because everyones body is unique and people have all different requirements for their seating. This was another reason I wanted the GT/PE. I wanted a more sporty seat with better bolstering. I am use to having Recaro's in several other cars I have owned (and currently own) and prefer that style of seat. The GT/PE has a seat similar but definitely a bit more forgiving than Recaro's. That said, I can tell you the seats in the premium are one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had in a car. I know they don't look like much but they were very comfortable, at least for me.

I have taken several 3 hour, non-stop trips in the premium and not one issue with my back or legs. I cannot say this was true with my first drive in the GT/PE seats. The dealer I purchase my vehicles from is 3 hours away (even though I have a Ford dealer literally 5 minutes from my house) so when I went to pick up my car, the first thing I did was drive 3 hours non-stop home. Two things happened I was not expecting. One, my lower back began to ache and two, the under part of my legs where the seat ends felt like they might go to sleep. I never had any of these issues with the Premium seats and realized that the GT/PE seat are much more firm everywhere (like Recaro's) and you need to really adjust the seat to your body. After adjusting the back lumbar support and brining the seat up a bit which relieves pressure under the legs (because of the way it tilts) things got better. The seats are also not as easy to get in and out of with the higher bolsters but I am use to this with Recaro's which are much worse. It sounds like I'm not happy with the seats but I am actually very happy with them. I prefer a seat that hugs you and also one with cloth material in the seating area rather than vinyl. Like Recaro's it took me a few days to get them adjusted just right and now they feel great and doubt I will have issues on long drives again.

Here are some things I noticed right away when driving home:

I immediately heard wind noise after going about 40 mph right above my head. I knew exactly what it was since I had the same noise in my premium which I took care of with a strip of round rubber gasket I placed in the gap between the windshield and glass roof. Obviously I will have to do the same thing with this one.

My iPhone 12 Pro does not constantly charge in the Premium on the charging pad. It usually stops after about a few minutes and have to move it around to get it to charge then it stops again. I am not interested in connecting to a USB cord so I came up with this alternate method of wireless charging, #9 . In the GT/PE, my iPhone 12 Pro charged more consistent. Not sure if they updated some software or hardware but was surprised to see this.

I really like the fact Ford updated Sync 4a to display Apple CarPlay in its portrait mode. Ford also added the turn by turn of Apple Maps in the dash display however it did not work very well on my drive home. While I rarely need to use navigation, I normally do always use it when taking trips to make sure I am on the best route in case there is road work, accidents or just heavy traffic that Maps will alert me about. Maps worked just fine in the main display but the turn by turn in the dash display kept freezing up on and off during the drive. Sometimes it would not work at all for 30 minutes then it would update itself. Not sure what is up with that but hope they come out with a fix for it.

Ford Pass on my phone for the GT/PE only shows four buttons. Unlock, Start, Lock and Horn. I had thought it would have at least shown windows up and down and trunk like my premium does. I know it should also show a front trunk button. I deleted the GT/PE from the Ford Pass app, then re-added it and still no change.

Edit:
After owning the GT/PE for 3 months I no longer have any issues with the seats like I did the first few days. As I said earlier I needed to adjust them properly as they are not as forgiving because they are firmer seats.

I am extremely happy with the magneride suspension. The car really does ride smoother than my previous Premium 4X with no bounce at all. I'm still not happy with the softness of the suspension in the Unbridled setting and still looking forward to DSC Sport coming out with a module for this car.

I got the extra buttons to show up in Ford Pass on my phone. Apparently I did not have PAAK set up properly or something did not activate when I did set it up but after re-activating, all my buttons are there including the "frunk" button.

After upgrading to an iPhone 13 Pro, I have zero issues with the phone wirelessly charging. I had come to find out the issue was more with the iPhone 12 and not the wireless charger in the car.

Overall I was extremely happy with the Premium and even happier with the GT/PE. All I really want is a firmer ride in Unbridled. I have quite a few very windy mountainous roads around here especially too and from Yosemite and Mariposa. It bothers me when I can't keep up with other sporty cars (it's not my driving). I will be installing the Steeda rear sway bar next week and still looking forward to DSC Sport coming out with module for the magneride shocks so I can tune them how I want to.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did you setup PaaK in the GTPE yet? That’s a requirement to get the extra row of buttons in FordPass.
I did but I did not set up a profile which I never set up in the premium as I am the only one that drives the car so did not feel a need to set that up.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Got it working. Deleted PAAK and set it back up again. I guess something did not take the first time or I did something wrong. I had the key fob in the car so never tested PAAK yet with this car.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thanks for the write-up Mark. It’s really cool to me because I doubt that I will have both a Premium and a GT-PE. Just cool stuff to know. ??

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Great feedback!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thanks Mark. Always telling us what we really need to know. Except that your original MME was for sale. Where was that thread? Enjoy your PE edition Sir. I can’t quite afford that jump or I’d jump with you.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Great feedback, I really just want to get rid of the bounce on my Premium but don't want to bite the bullet and do a trade in. Do the GT PE seats adjust more? Or is it still just a tilt when you go up and down? Does the seat pan come out further and provide more thighs support?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the complements everyone. I normally am big on posting photos but haven't taken many these last two days. Been working on the car a bit before it goes into the shop this afternoon for ceramic coating. Since I will be in Arizona most of next week, it's a good time for my car to be tied up getting this done.

I've sound deadened all four doors, switched over my wheel/tire set up from the Premium (except changed to all season tires), painted the hats on the rotors and dust shields black and installed the rear door ambient lighting while I had the door panels off. After I get back I'll have the front. side windows tinted to match the rears, tint all the reflectors and add a sub. Pretty much most things I did to the Premium.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Eights months with Premium, three days with GT/PE IMG_6156

Ford Mustang Mach-E Eights months with Premium, three days with GT/PE IMG_6152

Ford Mustang Mach-E Eights months with Premium, three days with GT/PE NZ7_64663000

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks Mark. Always telling us what we really need to know. Except that your original MME was for sale. Where was that thread? Enjoy your PE edition Sir. I can’t quite afford that jump or I’d jump with you.
Hey Rod, so I never had a thread of the car for sale. My best friend and his wife who recently moved from here to Arizona wanted to buy the car. I have Ford Options and called them and they sent me a "Transfer of Equity" form to fill out. We both did that and two weeks later they approved the transfer. He is now set up with Ford Options, same contract and everything, no change in payments, etc. Of course he got a good deal as I not only made a lot of mods on the car but also 7 months worth of payments that I let him have. ?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great feedback, I really just want to get rid of the bounce on my Premium but don't want to bite the bullet and do a trade in. Do the GT PE seats adjust more? Or is it still just a tilt when you go up and down? Does the seat pan come out further and provide more thighs support?
I got rid of most of the bounce replacing all four springs and shocks with the GT's but this has been done by another member without as good as luck as I had. However he did have a RWD standard battery which would make a difference in weight.

The seat adjusts the same way, it just tilts the rear end up and down. The seat bottoms in both cars are about 20" in length so no change there either.

Jim Guthry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I've been following your mods this year hoping to replicate some of them on my GTPE as well so thanks for sharing. Definitely needs a sub! I went with Quatrac Pros - did you stick with Pilot Sports?
Sponsored