Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Really enjoyed watching his review and reading his writeup. He said that as a Tesla owner he didn't want the MME to invalidate his Tesla purchase decision, buttttt..... (read it and smile).

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I mean... this is Electrek we're talking about.
To be fair it was a very nice article now that I've read it. There's just a few....interesting takes in there. I also noticed he said the PRNDL dial shifter was in some way "foreign" to ICE and traditional Mustang owners, without knowing that that's been Ford's standard shifter for years now, and without knowing that even the mighty Shelby GT500 users that dial shifter!

But those are small quibbles. Author missed some little details, but got the important stuff right.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I also noticed he said the PRNDL dial shifter was in some way "foreign" to ICE and traditional Mustang owners, without knowing that that's been Ford's standard shifter for years now
Yeah, the dial shifter is very common now, and not just in Fords. My wife's Pacifica has the same rotary shifter and we got that in 2016. It seems weird that so many car reviewers think that a rotary shifter is new and somehow unique to EVs. It seems like new cars nowadays are more likely to have rotary, push-button, or joystick shifters than the old style.

I've also seen several reviewers complain that the dial doesn't stop rotating when you get to Drive. Of course it doesn't.....it's electronic. If it physically stopped at Drive, the car wouldn't be able to automatically shift to Park without the dial position getting out of sync. Don't all rotary shifters work this way?

JoseLuisDeLaCruz

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Occupation
CEO and Founder of Parking Heaven
Country flag
The range sucks in the cold omg I am definitely getting a Model Y. Ford wtf were you thinking?!?!? No heat pump......dumb decision!

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
i took a day (literally) to get used to the rotary shifter. it's easy enough to spin it to the right to drive, and to the left to park. yes, picking R(everse) is slightly more annoying but i can live with it

To be fair it was a very nice article now that I've read it. There's just a few....interesting takes in there. I also noticed he said the PRNDL dial shifter was in some way "foreign" to ICE and traditional Mustang owners, without knowing that that's been Ford's standard shifter for years now, and without knowing that even the mighty Shelby GT500 users that dial shifter!

But those are small quibbles. Author missed some little details, but got the important stuff right.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

I personally dislike the rotary shifter. Truly one of the worst parts of the entire car to me.

But to his point, it would be foreign to most Mustang buyers, and most non-Ford ICE buyers. Those style shifters are still pretty rare.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Interesting tidbit was on winter range. Seth drove 180 miles from NY to Vermont, loaded with two kids, front seat passenger, winter gear and weekend groceries. Got to his place up in the mountains with 40 miles left on the GOM with no problems. Seth said it matches his Model Y's battery SoC on the same trip.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Interesting tidbit was on winter range. Seth drove 180 miles from NY to Vermont, loaded with two kids, front seat passenger, winter gear and weekend groceries. Got to his place up in the mountains with 40 miles left on the GOM with no problems. Seth said it matches his Model Y's battery SoC on the same trip.
Yep, one of the key takeaways in this review was his observation that the Ford GOM underestimates and the Tesla overestimates - so the net result is the actual mileage is not very far apart. Clearly the aero of the model Y gives it a 15% advantage in efficiency, but the Mach E's looks are a 100% improvement over the Y so I'll say advantage Mach E.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That was a really crappy review. Compared to professionals who know something about driving dynamics and charging curves, this was more like 'amateur hour'. Plugging into a DCFC when he was above 80% SoC was a bit strange...I suppose he was just trying to demonstrate ease of connection/payment. It was honestly hard to follow his logic and train of thought.
Sponsored