Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
As stated, if there are no chargers, then it is just courtesy EV parking. Our local court and sheriff's office has 1/2 dozen spaces like this.
Personaly. I have yet to see EV parking with no chargers. Thats a new one to me. I actually did see, a handicap spot at an EV charging station. That was a first also.
Sponsored

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Personaly. I have yet to see EV parking with no chargers. Thats a new one to me. I actually did see, a handicap spot at an EV charging station. That was a first also.
Its probably a state by state thing. Colorado has an EV sticker we put in our window that grants us priority parking spaces at certain public facilities - these parking spaces do not have chargers. The Denver Museum of Nature and Science, for example, has about 10 spots in the parking garage marked this way.

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would also be nice to see signs stating "EV Charging" that are tall enough and large enough to be seen across the parking lot. Too often the navigation instructions direct you into a parking lot without any indication of where the actual chargers are. This especially true of chargers in parking garages. It is not safe, when driving alone, to have to look at your cell phone for additional information. It would not be that hard to put up a standardized sign, the size of a speed limit sign, over the chargers or at the entrance to the parking garage stating "EV Charging". Stating "EV Charging" would clarify that the spots are for just that "EV Charging". Not dedicated parking for elitist EV owners.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Its probably a state by state thing. Colorado has an EV sticker we put in our window that grants us priority parking spaces at certain public facilities - these parking spaces do not have chargers. The Denver Museum of Nature and Science, for example, has about 10 spots in the parking garage marked this way.
Another perk. Thank you for explaining.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
One municipality in Ca is towing non-evs for parking in an ev spot. I think non-charging eves will be next. They should just locate the ev spots "inconveniently".
Since I tend to try to park where nobody wants to, charging spots out in the boonies of a lot would rock for me.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Since I tend to try to park where nobody wants to, charging spots out in the boonies of a lot would rock for me.
I HATE door dings. I park so far out in the lot you need UBER to get to the mall. So while charging, I will be with my car, like a hawk.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
We actually have ev spots without chargers in Washington. Few, but they do exist. If there’s a charger, you know what it’s meant for.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Another perk. Thank you for explaining.
I've seen something kind of similar down in Northern Virginia, too. Some of the more upscale shopping malls have "Green Vehicle Parking Only" spots reserved for BEV/Hybrid closer to the main entrances (Tyson's Corner being the notable one in my head). There are no chargers for those spaces, so it's just a nod to the electric crowd.

But yeah, if there's a charger there, I completely agree with everyone else in that if you park, you charge. If you don't need to charge, don't park there.

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Interesting. I've never seen this. I guess it all boils down to the clarity of the sign. "EV parking" does not equate to "EV charging".

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Interesting. I've never seen this. I guess it all boils down to the clarity of the sign. "EV parking" does not equate to "EV charging".
He said that sign is at "EV CHARGING" spots. Thats means be charging your car while your parked there. Imho....I think that sign and enorcement is good as more EV cars get sold, people out and about will need to charge.

Deleted member 3569

No matter what the signage says or how many there are... there is always a jackass !!! The attached is a photo of a F150 ice truck parked in a reserved spot for EV's this past Sunday at the EA in Ormond Beach FL !!!

IMG_4037.jpg

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
No matter what the signage says or how many there are... there is always a jackass !!! The attached is a photo of a F150 ice truck parked in a reserved spot for EV's this past Sunday at the EA in Ormond Beach FL !!!

IMG_4037.jpg
Funny you mention jackasses. When my wife leased that model 3 TESLA for us to try for 3 days. I had to use the TESLA charge spots. Not only did I see jackasses. But saw a few jerk offs to. Same shit, plus charge spot hogs. No where around. Cars just parked. Not charging. And PLENTY of TESLA owners WATING TO CHARGE.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is my first BEV, so just curious what the polite thing to do is.

At our local mall, there are a group of 8 parking spaces right up front that say, “Electric vehicle parking only.”

They also have a set of ChargPoint pay to charge chargers.

So my question is this: If you park there, do you have to charge?

I noticed that only about 1/3 of the cars were plugged in.
Welcome to public charging where a percentage of chargers are broken.

I've parked at EV spots and not plugged in because the charger was "non-functional" for some reason- didn't accept payment, did not start the charge, marked as unavailable on app, etc.

Normally I plug in, but why fake it when the charger is busted. This has happened with ChargePoint, Greenlots, NovaCharge, etc.

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I recall a time when I was on a long road trip and had to pull off of the highway to change my daughter's diaper and give her a snack, and I parked my gas car in a Tesla EV space in the back of a service area to do it. I never left my car.. it took about 15 minutes. There were about 8 open Tesla EV charging stations open at the time. No other cars were there.. A Tesla pulled up in the space directly next to me and the entire family inside stared me down, the ENTIRE time I was trying to manage a half naked toddler. I knew I wasn't supposed to be there but it was the height of Covid and I didn't want to be in the crowded parking spaces closer in, or even go inside of the service area. I guess everyone has their level of tolerance for these things, and most people don't get it until they become EV owners with repeat EV charging offenders. I thought that was a bit much considering ALL of the other stations were open, but can understand the irritation...... to a point.
Sponsored