Electric car Parking etiquette?

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Super weird mindset. I mean geez, why would people even think to occupy a spot if they don’t intend to charge? Bizarre.
Bizarre indeed. I think the type of mindset is called "asshole" :p
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Bizarre indeed. I think the type of mindset is called "asshole" :p
I would preface that with “inconsiderate.” Just calling them assholes is a disservice to assholes everywhere. ??

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Super weird mindset. I mean geez, why would people even think to occupy a spot if they don’t intend to charge? Bizarre.
i don’t have my BEV yet, but I wouldn’t consider parking at a charger without charging. I have a PHEV and have rarely charged in public as I worry that I would overstay my welcome. The exceptions were at hotels but even then DH kept checking and went out to move it when it was full.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
My guess is that since Brand T has such a big market share more of them are seen to be flaunting it just based on numbers in the wild. More than half of the EVs I see ICEing chargers are Brand T.
Sadly, I know what you mean.

Selfish people are spread across all EV brands. Yet, the sheer number of Teslas give the brand more opportunity for bozos to leave their already fully charged Teslas plugged into a charger.

I recently couldn't charge at a hotel I was staying at because others left their cars plugged in even though both had finished charging.

Tesla owners call that "Destination Parking", which is rude. They're "Destination Chargers" for a reason.

Gladly, there was a third J1772 charger (albeit 32A instead of 48A) so I could charge. And guess who moved their car as soon as I had enough for the next day, me.

I didn't want to do the same thing, especially with the only J1772 available for other EV brands.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Most hotels ask people what they drive. I have no problem in asking the front desk "who has a gray Tesla, because they're done charging and I need the spot to charge".

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Yep. After the Kia drove off it wasn't 30 seconds later that a Tesla drove up and did the very same thing.

20211106_131548.jpg
Are you sitting on a park bench watching this happen?

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
If you're in an electric vehicle parking only spot, I'm pretty sure the idea behind it existing wasn't to have a sweet parking spot - it was so you could charge. If you're not charging and still taking up a spot, you're a tool.
This is honestly what I assumed.

But when I walked past, there were 8 spots, 7 full (all Tesla of course) and only 2 cars were actually plugged in.

That, combined with the only signage (painted letters on the ground “Electric vehicle parking only”) made me question my assumption.

This was at a mall, and yes, they were the “sweetest parking spots.”

I do like the idea of better signage. Because with only 2 of 7 cars charging, common courtesy isn’t so common. And it’s only going to get worse as more people get BEVs.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
This is my first BEV, so just curious what the polite thing to do is.

At our local mall, there are a group of 8 parking spaces right up front that say, “Electric vehicle parking only.”

They also have a set of ChargPoint pay to charge chargers.

So my question is this: If you park there, do you have to charge?

I noticed that only about 1/3 of the cars were plugged in.
Don't think of them as parking spaces, but rather fueling stations, and that is the designated spot you would use to refuel at that particular outlet.

With that said, how would you feel if you drive your internal combustion vehicle to fuel up at a gas station, and 3 out of the 4 pumps available had vehicles parked in front of the pump while not actually refueling, and they have been sitting there for hours on end.

When you put things in perspective I think it becomes rather obvious what the etiquette would be...

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Most hotels ask people what they drive. I have no problem in asking the front desk "who has a gray Tesla, because they're done charging and I need the spot to charge".
I asked, and the front desk claimed they didn't know whose cars those were.

Could have been patrons of the restaurant next door, but the cars were there all night, so definitely staying at the hotel.

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Back when I used to go to gas stations, I would see people leave their cars parked at the gas pump all the time while they went inside to shop in the convenience store. The line of cars waiting to use the gas pumps never seemed to phase them. A lot of people just suck at being good humans.
Ugh, last year I stopped at a gas station on a road trip that was essentially only 1/4 full. I finished pumping and I almost always go and park in a regular space before going into the store, but since there were only a few cars for a bunch of pumps, I figured, screw it, I won't be inconveniencing anyone, and left my car there and went in.

Of course, 3-4 minutes later I come out and every pump is in use and there are cars queued. I stare at the ground while walking to my car, but I know everyone was staring daggers at me.

One of the reasons I decided to buy an EV.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Are you sitting on a park bench watching this happen?
Yeah. Waiting for my son to show up. If they would have walked away without plugging in then I would have flagged down the next officer that drove by. I have been there before and they ofren cruise by looking for illegally parked cars.
I told my son that I was being a di*k but seeing that pissed me off.

He just laughed at me. :)

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah. Waiting for my son to show up. If they would have walked away without plugging in then I would have flagged down the next officer that drove by. I have been there before and they ofren cruise by looking for illegally parked cars.
I told my son that I was being a di*k but seeing that pissed me off.

He just laughed at me. :)
Sounds like this would be a much more productive use of a parking enforcement officer's time rather than handing out 'no front license plate' tickets.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I would preface that with “inconsiderate.” Just calling them assholes is a disservice to assholes everywhere. ??
That's a fact, dog. ?

Inconsiderates don't drop biscuits, but an asshole is worth a sniff cause you never know what'll fall out. ?

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Back when I used to go to gas stations, I would see people leave their cars parked at the gas pump all the time while they went inside to shop in the convenience store. The line of cars waiting to use the gas pumps never seemed to phase them. A lot of people just suck at being good humans.
Some stations require prepay if using cash. If you have to go in, why not buy snacks?