tony488

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang EcoBoost, 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Country flag
I picked up our MME Premium SR AWD on March 11 and have had just over 2000 fun-filled and exhilarating miles. Unfortunately, it is now at the dealers for just about a week as they believe the clicking sound that it makes as we accelerate and especially when I lift off the throttle is a bad motor bearing. The sound is similar to the "Wheel of Fortune" spinner and it also makes a downshift sound at 18 mph.
I thought it might be the pedestrian warning sound/speaker (AVAS= Acoustic Vehicle Alert System) but the dealer is ordering a replacement motor for the front drive.
Still love the MME but it is disappointing that this may be happening. Hyundai and Kia forums reported quite a few members with a similar problem, but I hope it is not systemic problem for Ford.
Sponsored

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Hyundai has it on the Ioniq but typically the 2017/18 models and after 60-80k miles. My guess is you received a bad bearing from the start. Nearly all bearings are made overseas now. Even good reliable US brands. There’s a bad Apple in every bunch. You, unfortunately may have got it….

OP
OP

tony488

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hyundai has it on the Ioniq but typically the 2017/18 models and after 60-80k miles. My guess is you received a bad bearing from the start. Nearly all bearings are made overseas now. Even good reliable US brands. There’s a bad Apple in every bunch. You, unfortunately may have got it….
It was running perfectly but then this came up out of the blue. It didn't get any worse for the few days I drove it locally.
I did notice that a Kia person had it occur at 1600 miles so it matched my timeframe.

BIGBIGSURGE

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model X P100D, 2017 Hyundai Ioniq EV
Country flag
My Hyundai has 80,200 miles on it. It’s a 2017. No noise.

OP
OP

tony488

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does it sound like this ? Dealer think it’s the front motor ss well.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/front-motor-noise.7780/#post-207333
Does it sound like this ? Dealer think it’s the front motor ss well.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/front-motor-noise.7780/#post-207333
Yes, the sound occurred at the same mph as your video. Mine sounded less of the whining and more of a grinding.

Surprisingly, the dealer says it's ready so I'll know later today how it worked.

OP
OP

tony488

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, the sound occurred at the same mph as your video. Mine sounded less of the whining and more of a grinding.

Surprisingly, the dealer says it's ready so I'll know later today how it worked.
The noise is gone so the front motor replacement was the correct fix. Thanks.
Sponsored