Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I generate from my solar panels is used by my "neighbors" and they pay the full transmission & distribution fees. . .even though the electricity only traveled a short distance.
The issue is that those without solar are paying the transmission and distribution costs... not you. By you having solar, you increase the costs for those around you who do not.

MonorailGold

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion Hybrid. 2022 MME CR1 on order
Country flag
This is a fascinating thread... it shows that adoption of personal EVs is really influenced by the adaptability (or lack of same) shown by the many many local utility companies and their state or lower-level public regulating cmmissions.

Here in Virginia, the dominant electric utility Dominion Power and a former governor who grabbed some Federal "shovel-ready" $$$ back in 2010, started a pilot program which continues to this day (and hopefully forever). The governor paid for a 2d residential electric meter, the utility inspected and verified that the customer's line from the 2d electric meter went directly to, and only to the EV supply equipment, and as a result we residential participants have a TOU-only-for-EVSE apability in addition to regular house electric meter capability, on one bill.

Attached is the Dominion Power TOU reference graphic on my wall, and my electric bill from August showing the house use, and separately the yellow-highlighted EV use, in kWh.

I think this residential EV-only TOU pilot is a great program. At installation, I only paid for the installation of the line from the 2d meter to the EVSE. Luckily, I insisted on 6-gauge wires even though at the time, common use was 12-gauge wires as the original early EVSE was only capable of 20 amps. The attached bill shows my use of a Grizzl-E basic 40-amp EVSE.

20221117_095643.jpg

20221117_100444.jpg
I’m with Dominion and I’ve been searching for any EV-related programs. The ones I’ve seen aren’t open to new customers (?). I’ll check out the URL above.
We also just started solar usage, adding another layer of tracking and monitoring our energy costs and savings.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
I’m with Dominion and I’ve been searching for any EV-related programs. The ones I’ve seen aren’t open to new customers (?). I’ll check out the URL above.
We also just started solar usage, adding another layer of tracking and monitoring our energy costs and savings.
This was a pilot program started by Virginia's Governor McDonnell when the 2009 Federal "shovel-ready" funds were available. I know my membership continues and I hope it's open today for all as EV driving is taking seriously off.