First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
I

I have only tried one so far, but it took 3 plug attempts to find one that worked!
That has been my experience. When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was, "And EA has also promised that no less than 50% of the new stations will work when users plug-in their vehicles."
Sponsored

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
As a Canadian ?? I'm extremely pleased to hear this news! It looks like we are going to get a much needed bump in our charging infrastructure that will make it easier for an EV driver to drive coast to coast across Canada.

Currently the only network in Canada offering such a route is Petro Canada, which has typically has two high power 150Kw - 350Kw stalls per location, however these can and do go down from time to time, and it's nice to now have alternatives instead of relying on a single network!

In general the Canadian EV networks are not nearly as built out as what you see south of our border in America, so every new location really counts for us!!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Electrify America Announces its "Boost Plan" to More than Double its Current EV Charging Network by End of 2025

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/149

Expanding Current Ultra-Fast Charging Network in the U.S. and Canada to more than 1,800 charging
stations and over 10,000 individual chargers

Reston, VA (July 13, 2021) – Electrify America today announced its “Boost Plan” to more than double its current electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure in the United States and Canada, with plans to have more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed by the end of 2025. The expansion will increase the deployment of 150 and 350 kilowatt chargers – the fastest speed available today – and help pave the way for more electric vehicles in North America.

The announcement today expands Electrify America’s previous commitment to invest $2 billion over 10 years in Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) infrastructure, education, and access in the U.S. In addition to adding to its existing network in the U.S., Electrify America will also expand its Electrify Canada charging network which began installations in 2019. Both initiatives are part of a global announcement today by the parent company Volkswagen Group to substantially increase public charging infrastructure in North America, Asia and Europe.

“We have decided to double our current charging infrastructure in North America over the next four years to help meet the need for the rapid growth expected of electric vehicles by virtually all the auto manufacturers, and to help make EV adoption more accessible and attractive than ever.” said Giovanni Palazzo, president and chief executive officer, Electrify America. “We are making this commitment to support the plans by major automakers and the U.S. and Canadian governments to help the transformation to an electric mobility transportation system.”
That's great news.

Some bad news today, too:
Vehicle electrification drops from $182B to $15B in compromise bill.
https://www.wri.org/insights/climat...21-7-14&utm_medium=email&utm_content=readmore

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Electrify America Announces its "Boost Plan" to More than Double its Current EV Charging Network by End of 2025

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/149

Expanding Current Ultra-Fast Charging Network in the U.S. and Canada to more than 1,800 charging
stations and over 10,000 individual chargers

Reston, VA (July 13, 2021) – Electrify America today announced its “Boost Plan” to more than double its current electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure in the United States and Canada, with plans to have more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed by the end of 2025. The expansion will increase the deployment of 150 and 350 kilowatt chargers – the fastest speed available today – and help pave the way for more electric vehicles in North America.

The announcement today expands Electrify America’s previous commitment to invest $2 billion over 10 years in Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) infrastructure, education, and access in the U.S. In addition to adding to its existing network in the U.S., Electrify America will also expand its Electrify Canada charging network which began installations in 2019. Both initiatives are part of a global announcement today by the parent company Volkswagen Group to substantially increase public charging infrastructure in North America, Asia and Europe.

“We have decided to double our current charging infrastructure in North America over the next four years to help meet the need for the rapid growth expected of electric vehicles by virtually all the auto manufacturers, and to help make EV adoption more accessible and attractive than ever.” said Giovanni Palazzo, president and chief executive officer, Electrify America. “We are making this commitment to support the plans by major automakers and the U.S. and Canadian governments to help the transformation to an electric mobility transportation system.”
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Announces Doubling of Its EV Charging Network by End of 2025 Large-732-ElectrifyAmericaAnnouncesitsBoostPlantoMorethanDoubleitsCurrentEVChargingNetworkbyE

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/gallery/images/732

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Not a lot seems to be happening on the EA front. A few new stations are planned for areas where there is already a bunch of DCFC. Nothing new planned in the Midwest as of yet.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Not a lot seems to be happening on the EA front. A few new stations are planned for areas where there is already a bunch of DCFC. Nothing new planned in the Midwest as of yet.
Define nothing planned.

There are more dots in the midwest on the lower picture than the top one.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Slow movement. They seem to operate in waves. I'm still hoping I-80 in Wyoming fills in by next Spring. It's on the map, but no idea when.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Money would best be spent making their existing network flawless and expand from there

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Money would best be spent making their existing network flawless and expand from there
I kinda think the opposite. While no one likes jumping around to a 2nd or 3rd attempt at a station, I'd rather have more coverage with some quirks than less coverage.

Up to a point, that it. Not to the point of them being so bad that we can't get a charge at all from a station. But a quirky station in a needed location is better than no station at all.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I kinda think the opposite. While no one likes jumping around to a 2nd or 3rd attempt at a station, I'd rather have more coverage with some quirks than less coverage.

Up to a point, that it. Not to the point of them being so bad that we can't get a charge at all from a station. But a quirky station in a needed location is better than no station at all.
I hear what your saying but to get overall acceptance making sure these EA stations work is ultra important.

if I told my wife some of the problems those EA stations have its going to turn her and many others off, they just don’t want the hassle Or are afraid what if they all don’t work. What happens when there are millions of EV’s around And you find stations busy and broken and just as importantly very slow. Sends a bad message. Just like all the electronic glitches. People just want stuff to work.

I love this stuff and will be willing to put up with irregularities but most won’t.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hear what your saying but to get overall acceptance making sure these EA stations work is ultra important.

if I told my wife some of the problems those EA stations have its going to turn her and many others off, they just don’t want the hassle Or are afraid what if they all don’t work. What happens when there are millions of EV’s around And you find stations busy and broken and just as importantly very slow. Sends a bad message. Just like all the electronic glitches. People just want stuff to work.

I love this stuff and will be willing to put up with irregularities but most won’t.
That is also very true - it is crucial to ensure the locations they have work correctly to build confidence in the infrastructure. However, based on what Tesla is experiencing with charger congestion soon there won't be enough chargers either. Last year Tesla hit 1 million cars and by now they are probably in the 1.5 to 2 million range - and are having to build stations with dozens of chargers to alleviate congestion. EA's average of 4 chargers per station isn't going to be nearly enough by 2025, especially if a quarter to half of them don't work.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

No doubt they're both bad (lack of stations were they're needed, and buggy stations).

As an existing BEV owner, I'd rather have a buggy station where I need it than no station at all. But if I were still only an ICE owner just considering a BEV, you might be right that reports of problems at stations might be a bigger detriment.

Either way though, not good.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
No doubt they're both bad (lack of stations were they're needed, and buggy stations).

As an existing BEV owner, I'd rather have a buggy station where I need it than no station at all. But if I were still only an ICE owner just considering a BEV, you might be right that reports of problems at stations might be a bigger detriment.

Either way though, not good.
I think a lot depends on the level of "bugginess". There is a big difference between "having to mess around a bit to get a good charge speed" and "only works 10% of the time". That said, if you had a LOT for DC fast charging options (think - as common as gas stations), that is less of an issue - just go to another one.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think a lot depends on the level of "bugginess". There is a big difference between "having to mess around a bit to get a good charge speed" and "only works 10% of the time". That said, if you had a LOT for DC fast charging options (think - as common as gas stations), that is less of an issue - just go to another one.
Yep, that was my caveat in my first post too ("up to a point").

Like for instance my experience with EA so far. I've done almost 40 EA charges, and I've never left an EA station without a charge. But many have been buggy to get started (the 1st charger not starting and having to move over to a 2nd or 3rd at the station... the app not starting the session... the app locking up... a few stuck at low power... having to call EA for remote start... etc). While all those quirks were annoying, I can live with some of that as long as I can get a charge. That's the most important part.

And agreed on your last sentence. Quantity over quality at this point in the game. I'd rather have more charger locations (even if mildly buggy) because as you say, it provides backups if the primary station isn't working.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep, that was my caveat in my first post too ("up to a point").

Like for instance my experience with EA so far. I've done almost 40 EA charges, and I've never left an EA station without a charge. But many have been buggy to get started (the 1st charger not starting and having to move over to a 2nd or 3rd at the station... the app not starting the session... the app locking up... a few stuck at low power... having to call EA for remote start... etc). While all those quirks were annoying, I can live with some of that as long as I can get a charge. That's the most important part.

And agreed on your last sentence. Quantity over quality at this point in the game. I'd rather have more charger locations (even if mildly buggy) because as you say, it provides backups if the primary station isn't working.
I can see my Florida trip taking an extra 5 hours. You’re all correct.

Years ago when my wife’s mother was ill she was making weekly trips up to north of Boston, around 240 miles from our house. She never had to stop for gas nor would want to. She traveled alone at night many times. I was at home watching our 3 young children. With EV she would have to make one stop and then another near her mother’s house to recharge for trip home. If she had experiences of multiple charges not working or being super slow she wouldn’t want to use the car. She just wants to drive from point A to point B, nothing more. Some chargers are also tucked away, away from many people Lao making it a bit scary for some.

anyway I hope they fix all this stuff over the next year or so . Then all we have to focus on is what is the right EV that suits us.
Sponsored