hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Anyone else read about this? EA is rolling out a software update this year to allow vehicles to plug in and charge without any additional steps, like Tesla does. According to the article it should work with the Mach-E.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/83

Electrify America, Hubject Announce Launch of "Plug&Charge" to Streamline EV Charging Payment Process

“Plug&Charge” Security System to Support Electrify America Network and EV Drivers

LOS ANGELES (October 22, 2019)
– Electrify America and Hubject today announced the next significant step in the upcoming launch of a simplified, and convenient system for electric vehicle charging (EV) called “Plug&Charge.” Drivers will no longer need to reach for a wallet, smartphone or bankcard as the system enables EV drivers to simply plug their vehicle into a charger for the charging session to begin automatically.

By offering the Plug&Charge solution in North America, drivers using Electrify America stations will enjoy faster charging session authentication and authorization. The new system will be fully operational in 2020, when Plug&Charge-compatible EVs are projected to be available to customers.

The system, operated by Hubject, is a key component in implementing “Plug&Charge” technology and using the ISO 15118 standard across Electrify America’s network. The companies took the system live this month for the North American market through a signing procedure at U.S. Bank in Santa Monica, CA,

ISO 15118 is an international standard that outlines the secured communication protocol that an electric vehicle and charging station should use to recharge the EV’s battery. It enables the simplified charging functionality for the most prevalent EV charging connector type, called the Combined Charging System (CCS).

“The Plug&Charge technology will streamline Electrify America's charging experience," said Cliff Fietzek, director of technology at Electrify America. “We work every day to offer current and future EV owners advanced technologies in charging to help make electric vehicle ownership a reality for both their local and long-distance mobility needs."

This is a significant step toward making public charging easier for EV drivers by increasing the number of end-to-end services handled by the new North America based ecosystem. The system uses the processes and procedures developed in tandem with security experts around the world to enable encrypted, convenient and fast Plug&Charge functionalities across North America. Hubject’s North American based V2G Root and Certificate Authority is the first of its kind and the second system globally, based on Hubject’s already established European system. It will enable encrypted communication for a seamless customer charging experience in North America.

“Using ISO 15118 as the basis of charging technology innovation also enables many more future-proof features such as smart charging and bi-directional charging,” said Carsten Puhl, CTO of Hubject GmbH. “These energy management features will be necessary as the number of EVs on the road will be growing faster than the ability to increase energy production in the coming years. Adding a North American based V2G Root for Plug&Charge helps us to securely service our clients on a global basis.”
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I believe you are correct. Keep looking for software updates that allow the Mach E to charge faster than 150kw as certain Tesla models can.

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
If purchased, Mach E will be my first EV, so I don’t have real-world experience with one yet. Is Tesla miles ahead of everyone else with their charging network? It seems like the gaggle of competitors offer a confusing, non-standardized, lower-quality product. Is this Apple vs PC circa 2004 with Tesla as Apple?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If purchased, Mach E will be my first EV, so I don’t have real-world experience with one yet. Is Tesla miles ahead of everyone else with their charging network? It seems like the gaggle of competitors offer a confusing, non-standardized, lower-quality product. Is this Apple vs PC circa 2004 with Tesla as Apple?
There is many answers for your questions. The charging network focus is when you travel out of your local range. Tesla has more locations than EA but EA is rapidly expanding. EA chargers are labeled 150 to 350 kW which is faster than any Tesla charger. Ego, chargepoint, Blink are other charging networks you can utilize. Things are improving quickly but some road trips might be best done in a vehicle with an ice.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Its more like driving an ICE around with Sunoco, Mobile, Shell, and BP...different stations all serving up gas.

Different charge networks all serving up electricity. Do you have more than one gas card? or use a VISA/Mastercard on any?

The big difference is how fast are the pumps? The DCFC's will fill the tank much faster than all the Level-2's out there.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
stupid question......which adapter is the Mach E. I keep reading about J777...….then a long one that is all letters...ch.…….

When looking at EA I am trying to figure out whoch one is the one we will use.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
stupid question......which adapter is the Mach E. I keep reading about J777...….then a long one that is all letters...ch.…….

You really should watch this explanation on EV charging. I cannot recommend it enough.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The Mach-E will likely have plug & charge to pay capability from Day 1. EA is working to have this implemented in cars this calendar year and I'm confident they'll make it happen.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its more like driving an ICE around with Sunoco, Mobile, Shell, and BP...different stations all serving up gas.

Different charge networks all serving up electricity. Do you have more than one gas card? or use a VISA/Mastercard on any?

The big difference is how fast are the pumps? The DCFC's will fill the tank much faster than all the Level-2's out there.
And to carry that analogy further to the ICE comparison... Both DCFC (Level 3) and Level 2 are way slower than gasoline refueling. Which is still a huge part of the consideration if one is hoping to use a BEV for any distance driving. Gas refuels are 3 minutes, L3 maybe 20-40 minutes, and L2 hours.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
You really should watch this explanation on EV charging. I cannot recommend it enough.
GREAT...GREAT video.....thanks

So do we assume that the Mach E has a combo charge system???

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

one can purchase a Tesla adaptor (J-Tap) that works on Tesla Level 2 (destination-not supercharger) outlets. I have such an adaptor for my Ford Cmax Energi and it works.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Thank you everyone. I appreciate it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/f...t-from-electrify-americas-plugcharge-feature/
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Announces Plug&Charge System to Streamline Charging Process Electrify-America-2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-PlugCharge-Feature-001

Ford Mustang Mach-E To Benefit From Electrify America’s Plug&Charge Feature
by
f38c9845f7838091e633ec2454b974ed?s=80&r=g.jpg
Brett FooteNovember 17, 2020, 6:31 am

2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-Exterior-001-758x520.jpg

Sponsored Links

Without question, one of the biggest advantages Tesla has over all other EV makers is its vast Supercharger network, which provides easy and convenient charging access across many locations. But Ford Mustang Mach-E owners can look forward to enjoying some of the same benefits when charging at an Electrify America station, thanks to its newly implemented Plug&Charge feature.
ord-Mustang-Mach-E-PlugCharge-Feature-001-1024x575.jpg

Essentially, Plug&Charge enables an electric vehicle to “talk” to the charger it’s connected to and handle authentication and billing. However, this feature must be enabled both at the charger and in the vehicle to work properly. Thankfully, the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E will support Plug&Charge out of the box, along with other vehicles including the Porsche Taycan and Lucid Air.
Sponsored Links

Plug&Charge can be set up ahead of time by owners via a brief online registration. After that, drivers can automatically pay for charging by simply plugging in their EV. The charger communicates with the vehicle to identify, authenticate, authorize, and bill the customer’s registered account for the charging session. The entire process allows for a seamless charging experience.
Mach-E-GT-Europe-Exterior-008-charge-port-1024x683.jpg

The Plug&Charge feature is enabled by advanced vehicle-to-grid communication technology that utilizes encrypted security measures. It follows the ISO 15118 standard, an international standard that outlines the secured communication protocol that an EV and charging station should use to recharge the EV’s battery. It enables simplified charging functionality for the most prevalent EV charging connector type, called the Combined Charging System (CCS).
Sponsored Links

This innovative technology is now available on all Electrify America chargers across the U.S., and Electrify America is the first company to offer the service to multiple automakers. Even better, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E buyers will receive five free charges at these stations with their purchase.
2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-Exterior-001-1024x682.jpg

Electrify America offers the fastest charging technology available today to provide charging speeds of up to 150 and 350 kilowatts, a breakthrough for the network that debuted in May 2018. It also offers the largest open DC fast-charging network in the U.S., has more than 500 charging stations open to the public with over 2,200 individual chargers.