Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
As noted in the past, you might be assuming that your own situation and your own preferences/wants/needs/interests are representative of those of others. If you are right, you are right. However, there seem to be a number of people at this site full of apparent enthusiasts who do not share all of your preferences/wants/needs/interests. I believe you have expressed in the past that your Tesla is your only car. My Bolt is not my only car. Our other car is a hybrid. If I have a road trip need, I will simply use the other car. That said, I would love for the capabilities of EVs and charging networks to make it possible to easily use my EV for a road trip if I need to take one and would love to see that capability so that people who are currently hesitant to buy an EV would become more comfortable with buying a car that is less damaging to the environment (and, IMHO, more fun). I fully understand how you feel and that clearly makes sense for you. Just not for me and possibly not for some number of others.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Being disallowed from being able to drive it longer and choosing to not use it on long drives are two entirely different things.

People buy RVs, but that doesn't mean they always drive it to the grocery store twice a week.

People buy 2-seat sports cars, but that doesn't mean they take their family of 4 on vacations in it.

Just because someone buys a vehicle doesn't mean it's ideal for every usage. But you're right that most buyers want vehicle(s) that are good fits for most of their needs. Which helps explain why BEVs are only 2-3% of market share in the US - because they're generally far worse fits for long road trips. And also if they don't have easy cheap charging (usually at home).

Remember that many households in the US have more than 1 car.
Absolutely. Which is a big reason people own cars and like to drive. Using an ICE for long road trips offers even more freedom.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
People buy RVs, but that doesn't mean they always drive it to the grocery store twice a week.
Who says we don't take our RV to the grocery store twice a week? Its fun the looks you get when you take up 2 or more parking spots (and we have a small one) ;).

It comes in really handy with the fridge on board when buying ice cream ;)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I doubt I will take the Mache on long road trips. I have access to my brother's Ford Flex and my Son and his wife have several ICE vehicles available for road trips. I did order the extended range battery for trips down the coast. I live in California and I do spend a lot of time on the freeways. I need to see a more extensive and reliable charging network before I take off on the road for a long trip.
But Mary, where is your sense of ADVENTURE! :)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Who says we don't take our RV to the grocery store twice a week? Its fun the looks you get when you take up 2 or more parking spots (and we have a small one) ;).

It comes in really handy with the fridge on board when buying ice cream ;)
You laugh, but when I was a kid for awhile my family wanted a motorhome, but could not afford two cars. This was my life for a couple of years. It wasn't a Winnebago, and had a Ford Van front, but a motorhome nonetheless. Fun driving when you are 16. Needless to say, I didn't date much then. "Sally, our daughter's date just showed up with a rolling hotel room - fetch my shotgun"

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Some, but honestly, I don't think there's many mainstream buyers that think BEVs are "ready for prime time" for long road trips yet anyway.

I think we're still in the period of BEV evolution where most mainstream buyers that choose a BEV are doing so without much intent to use it on long trips (they either have a 2nd car, or plan to rent, or simply don't take long road trips). Even when EA is working, BEVs for long road trips will remain a hard sell until highway range and charging times get much better. Outside the BEV enthusiasts, I think they're being bought almost entirely for home-charging use (in the US).
I agree. It took over fifty years from the arrival of the first gasoline automobiles to U.S. roads until the gasoline stations became commonplace. If we consider 2010 as the start of the true EV arrival (Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt), then we still have 40 more years to increase more charging stations for long distance traveling.

But most EV owners never drive over their battery range in a month, so renting a hybrid or traveling by plane or train is still more conomical that buying an extended range EV just for those long trips., or more simpler than worrying about working charge stations.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
But Mary, where is your sense of ADVENTURE! :)
Ya John, No better adventure than standing on the side of the freeway with cars and trucks buzzing by wondering why that beautiful new Ford is sitting there and that lady is standing there trying to wave one of them down hoping that the guy who does stop isn't a serial killer or just someone who takes all her money and leaves. Oh I kid ;):D
Also, how does someone bring you " a tank of electrons? " Do you call a tow truck for that? ?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ya John, No better adventure than standing on the side of the freeway with cars and trucks buzzing by wondering why that beautiful new Ford is sitting there and that lady is standing there trying to wave one of them down hoping that the guy who does stop isn't a serial killer or just someone who takes all her money and leaves. Oh I kid ;):D
Also, how does someone bring you " a tank of electrons? " Do you call a tow truck for that? ?
Mary, all you have to do is call Ford Roadside Assistance.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...19/ford-mustang-mach-e-intelligent-range.html
And, yes, they can bring you some electrons.
https://sparkcharge.io/?v=7516fd43adaa

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
As a former SFO Bay Area person, every time I think of a female driver and a "good samaritan" I think of the probable Zodiac kidnapping in 1970 down in Patterson. It's not "simple" paranoia. Yeah, I'm old enough to remember him well.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
As a former SFO Bay Area person, every time I think of a female driver and a "good samaritan" I think of the probable Zodiac kidnapping in 1970 down in Patterson. It's not "simple" paranoia. Yeah, I'm old enough to remember him well.
I'm still here, and I just watched that documentary on the Golden State killer, so I'm feeling paranoid.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The number 1 suspect for the Zodiac killings died in the mid 1990’s. There is a mountain of circumstantial evidence against him.

They’re finally pulling DNA from behind the known zodiac letter stamps and testing it. If the Zodiac is still alive, I’d be very afraid if I were him.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree. It took over fifty years from the arrival of the first gasoline automobiles to U.S. roads until the gasoline stations became commonplace. If we consider 2010 as the start of the true EV arrival (Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt), then we still have 40 more years to increase more charging stations for long distance traveling.

But most EV owners never drive over their battery range in a month, so renting a hybrid or traveling by plane or train is still more conomical that buying an extended range EV just for those long trips., or more simpler than worrying about working charge stations.
That's why I was planning on saving the $5000 and just buying the SR battery instead. The extra 60 miles (which is really only about 45 at high speed on a road trip) just wasn't worth it for a handful of road trips. Especially since we have a 2nd car anyway. But even if we didn't, $5000 pays for a helluva lot of rental car weeks. (An unexpected inheritance windfall allowed us to splurge and pop for the FE (that has the ER battery), but from an actual economic standpoint, it's really a waste of money for our situation. I'd just get the SR if money were tighter.)

Retail charging stations will never be as plentiful as gas stations, simply because there will never be a fraction of the demand for them that there is for gas. That's because most people charge at home (or work). Not sure what the actual stats are, but I'd guess no more than 10% of all BEV refueling is done at a retail charging stations.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The number 1 suspect for the Zodiac killings died in the mid 1990’s. There is a mountain of circumstantial evidence against him.

They’re finally pulling DNA from behind the known zodiac letter stamps and testing it. If the Zodiac is still alive, I’d be very afraid if I were him.
Statistically speaking we are all going to die from a heart attack not a serial killer.
Sponsored