Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm still here, and I just watched that documentary on the Golden State killer, so I'm feeling paranoid.
Statistically speaking we are all going to die from a heart attack not a serial killer.
I don't think it's paranoid at all. While statistically improbable, you don't want to end up in the hands of a predator. The number of them may not be large relative to the population but they are out there waiting to take advantage of the unwary or the unlucky, and people lose that lottery everyday.

Fortunately the software in the car should be smart and helpful enough to keep you from running into that circumstance on the side of the road.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I don't think it's paranoid at all. While statistically improbable, you don't want to end up in the hands of a predator. The number of them may not be large relative to the population but they are out there waiting to take advantage of the unwary or the unlucky, and people lose that lottery everyday.

Fortunately the software in the car should be smart and helpful enough to keep you from running into that circumstance on the side of the road.
The zodiac killer was mentioned, not a predator. Those are more common.

You can be prudent, but should not live your life in fear. I was raised that way and I'm still trying to overcome it.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
The zodiac killer was mentioned, not a predator. Those are more common.

You can be prudent, but should not live your life in fear. I was raised that way and I'm still trying to overcome it.
I understand. I don’t. But I also don’t take chances. I am usually with others, like my brother or my son and his wife. However, if I am alone, I am not going to drive long distances in a car if I am not sure that I can get there safely. I am 65 and in average shape. I can mange my poodle but that’s about all. ;)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I understand. I don’t. But I also don’t take chances. I am usually with others, like my brother or my son and his wife. However, if I am alone, I am not going to drive long distances in a car if I am not sure that I can get there safely. I am 65 and in average shape. I can mange my poodle but that’s about all. ;)
Just like any car, once you've owned it for a while you get to know its capabilities. How far you can comfortably drive it at what speed in what conditions. Then you'll know if you want to attempt it or not..

When I first got the Focus Electric with its paltry 70 mile range I barely took it anywhere--70 miles where can I go with that?? Over the course of my time with the car I took it on further and further trips including a few requiring multiple charges. (I could only get 30-40 miles out of it on those cold February days here in Michigan.)

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Just like any car, once you've owned it for a while you get to know its capabilities. How far you can comfortably drive it at what speed in what conditions. Then you'll know if you want to attempt it or not..

When I first got the Focus Electric with its paltry 70 mile range I barely took it anywhere--70 miles where can I go with that?? Over the course of my time with the car I took it on further and further trips including a few requiring multiple charges. (I could only get 30-40 miles out of it on those cold February days here in Michigan.)
I know you are right. I will probably have to take a few drives and see what happens while I keep an eye on the metrics of the usage. I have friends all over the Bay Area and the state. Once I have the car I will have to start with shorter road trips and see what the mileage is.
I am excited to try!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know you are right. I will probably have to take a few drives and see what happens while I keep an eye on the metrics of the usage. I have friends all over the Bay Area and the state. Once I have the car I will have to start with shorter road trips and see what the mileage is.
I am excited to try!
Be much easier for you living on the California coast. Way better EA coverage out there. And surely more destination chargers too.

If you're going 1000 miles east or something though, different matter.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The number 1 suspect for the Zodiac killings died in the mid 1990’s. There is a mountain of circumstantial evidence against him.

They’re finally pulling DNA from behind the known zodiac letter stamps and testing it. If the Zodiac is still alive, I’d be very afraid if I were him.
I thought it was Ted Cruz? ?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That sheetz in rocky mount is no longer "under repair" in plugshare, but it is still marked as 50kw. The other two I-95 locations in NC still show as down and under repair: carolina outlets at smithfield and walmart in lumberton. Florence SC and Richmond VA are also out. It looks like Stafford VA, Greensboro NC, and Greenville SC are all still maxed out at 50kw also.

It ain't over

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
People buy 2-seat sports cars, but that doesn't mean they take their family of 4 on vacations in it.
I remember as a kid going on ski trips in our Corvair because the mid-engine made it so good in snow and ice. Now THAT was a tiny back seat!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America big outage SC to FL 195nccnr369u

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That sheetz in rocky mount is no longer "under repair" in plugshare, but it is still marked as 50kw
UPDATE: That sheetz in Rocky Mount is now showing as two 350kw CCS stations, one 150kw CCS station, and one 50kw chademo/150kw CCS station.

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone? I can confirm there is at least one person who has bought an EV without intending to use it for road trips. That person is me. The Mach-E will be my third EV. I am quite happy with my decision (soon to be confirmed for a third time) to buy an EV without intending to use it for road trips. Am I the only one?
(Bawwks)

I had been thinking the charging issue for a week now, since I have seen the Mach-E and other non Tesla cars that I had interest in buying.

I had also studied the recharger maps for hours on end when I was seriously considering the remodelled Nissan Leaf, before their charging issues had reared their head. My wife has a sister in Eastern NC a that we would love to visit, and if we had purchased the Leaf, the stretches thru Virginia and eastern NC would have been brutal.

I had relaxed when Tesla had come out and admired their network. But now with the release of the MME, I am convinced I will be one of the few that most likely won’t road trip the MME because we own a 2019 Toyota Sienna that most likely would be used for long hauls. And besides, the Sienna has a side access power side seat I will use when necessary as I am disabled.

(The Sienna is quite the rare bird, as it was ordered and optioned with the rare Alumina Jade paint and the side seat. Usually the handicap access minivans are painted in fleet colours like black white or grey. I’m thinking the Sienna we have is one of one built in that colour and the trim offered.)

cheers,
-Gryphon <><
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America big outage SC to FL F3741E5E-154C-4EE4-B6E3-9027DF1FAEEA
Sponsored