Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
There's no reason every other company can't figure it out too.
Tesla is following Apple's walled garden model, and it's very effective for early adopters of a new technology. Considering that they were the new kids on the block in the industry, they had to follow this strategy to deal with the perceived shortcomings of BEVs; they had no choice,

But just as Google and Samsung demonstrated with Android phones, it's also possible to be wildly successful taking a partnering approach where you favor a more open ecosystem. Granted, it is not a perfect analogy, but with time, the early advantages enjoyed by Tesla will become less important.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
When EA first started rolling out, they had four different suppliers for their charger hardware. I wonder if they're now down to three suppliers?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
At the end of the day if you are going to have only an EV vehicle. Your options can and might be limited at times. The infrastructure is not there yet to fully fund the demand yet.

81% of Electric Vehicle Charging is Done at Home. But there are plenty of horror stories in California.
Where Telsa drivers are waiting hours at superchargers to charge. Or you live in an apartment or place where you can't have a 240v charger.

Whenever the range gets to 350 miles of true range, aircon on, driving fast, then the EV market will explode.

Today's EV is good for back and forth daily trips of 0 to 200 miles. Can you take one on a road trip, yes, but at the end of the day it's not as convenient as an ice car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hopefully EA will upgrade these to faster chargers rather than just more reliable slow ones.
Until a month ago, most of those sites had a mix of 150 & 350 kw chargers. The first week of august they dropped to 50kw; my guess is due to an issue they discovered with the hardware. After my initial reaction, I am starting to think that they discovered a major issue like those units being fire hazards. If that is the case, then they probably had to take them all off line at once to prevent disaster.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Anyone? I can confirm there is at least one person who has bought an EV without intending to use it for road trips. That person is me. The Mach-E will be my third EV. I am quite happy with my decision (soon to be confirmed for a third time) to buy an EV without intending to use it for road trips. Am I the only one?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone? I can confirm there is at least one person who has bought an EV without intending to use it for road trips. That person is me. The Mach-E will be my third EV. I am quite happy with my decision (soon to be confirmed for a third time) to buy an EV without intending to use it for road trips. Am I the only one?
You're not the only one. We've seen many reports of BEV owners saying they take an ICE on long road trips instead for the very reasons we've described. I will soon be one of them. I'll do it once in the Mach-E just to take the challenge, but it simply doesn't make sense to keep using it when our 2nd car will do the trip quicker, cheaper, with fewer mandatory stops and better dependability and peace of mind.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to use the Mach-E on long road trips, of course. I wish it could easily do 350 miles with room to spare at 75-80 MPH between refuels like our Escape. I wish it could refuel in <5 minutes like our Escape. I wish it could refuel nearly anywhere with no concern like our Escape. I wish we could pick hotels by normal criteria (like price) like we do when using our Escape, rather than by whether they have L2 charging or not.

But the reality just isn't there yet. Long road trips may be possible in a BEV, but they're usually gonna take significant compromise, with a side of anxiety thrown in for good measure, along with the equivalent of filing a flight plan. And that simply keeps most mainstream buyers away. Not all, but most.

But they're GREAT home-base vehicles for people that can charge at home with ease. That's why I think the meat of the market for BEVs (at current capabilities) is 2-car households with a garage. Which just happens to overlap well with the biggest population base in the US (suburban homeowners).

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Until a month ago, most of those sites had a mix of 150 & 350 kw chargers. The first week of august they dropped to 50kw; my guess is due to an issue they discovered with the hardware. After my initial reaction, I am starting to think that they discovered a major issue like those units being fire hazards. If that is the case, then they probably had to take them all off line at once to prevent disaster.
Why didn't they just say so????? :(

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm sort of there: Any long road trips we take the RV (which is a big ICE) and not the BEV (although the current BEV can and does tag along because it is towable).

I do want to take the Bolt/Mach-E on a long road trip (we keep stretching how far we take the Bolt...).

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Except that EA isn't the only network are they. This would be akin to all the Mobile stations temporarily closing along a major freeway. There are other stations--granted there are a lot more gas stations than charging locations but still. (In addition to that you won't see all the Mobiles closing because, for one, they are independent franchises instead of being owned by a single company--more like Chargepoint chargers.)

Look, if I go to plugshare and show all the DCFC's that aren't EA in that section I see plenty:
Annotation 2020-09-08 065026.jpg

Toggling EA on off I see at most 3 or 4 stations popup and go away. There are a few gaps there (notably between Charleston and Savannah and Savannah and Jacksonville) but even then turning on EA I only see two popup there and they aren't even in the middle of the gaps (closer to Savannah and Charleston).

EA isn't the end-all-be-all of charging stations...they are just one of many nationwide networks.

Yes, I get it: There aren't as many as gas stations and you won't find two competing ones next to each other like gas stations so that if you were planning at stopping at an EA charger and its offline now you're scrambling because one isn't immediately apparent in the area--that will change with time.
I understood the 'outage' was from Virginia to South Carolina. Your map shows Southern South Carolina to Miami, Florida.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I understood the 'outage' was from Virginia to South Carolina. Your map shows Southern South Carolina to Miami, Florida.
See post #1 of thread:

Just watched this video that says Electrify America is down for planned maintenance from South Carolina to Florida along I-95 including labor day weekend.

This is not promising.

(I'm in the northeast and don't have an ev currently, so I can't verify)

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I doubt I will take the Mache on long road trips. I have access to my brother's Ford Flex and my Son and his wife have several ICE vehicles available for road trips. I did order the extended range battery for trips down the coast. I live in California and I do spend a lot of time on the freeways. I need to see a more extensive and reliable charging network before I take off on the road for a long trip.
Sponsored