Electrify America HomeStation - feedback / reviews?

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Anybody have this EA charge station? Opinions? They’re offering a small discount for Christmas and I was considering a purchase seeing as there is also the 30% federal tax credit. I’ve been using the cord the car came with so far, which I have to say has worked fine. Guess I just feel like something electronic for Christmas.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Anybody have this EA charge station? Opinions? They’re offering a small discount for Christmas and I was considering a purchase seeing as there is also the 30% federal tax credit. I’ve been using the cord the car came with so far, which I have to say has worked fine. Guess I just feel like something electronic for Christmas.
Link to product : https://www.electrifyhome.com/homestation

I would say first check with your local utility to see if they have any rebates or demand pricing that applies to certain charger models.

If there is no economic incentive, I can't say I would be willing to trust EA to make a reliable home charger. Based on all the problems people report with the performance of public EA charge stations, their home unit might not be a good purchase choice. The EA DCFC is a completely unrelated product, but if you're looking for service/support on your home charger, they don't seem to be super customer focused like some other brands would be.

Read some threads about charger comparisons and people's feedback on each option.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

I would say first check with your local utility to see if they have any rebates or demand pricing that applies to certain charger models.

If there is no economic incentive, I can't say I would be willing to trust EA to make a reliable home charger. Based on all the problems people report with the performance of public EA charge stations, their home unit might not be a good purchase choice. The EA DCFC is a completely unrelated product, but if you're looking for service/support on your home charger, they don't seem to be super customer focused like some other brands would be.

Read some threads about charger comparisons and people's feedback on each option.
Seems a bit on the pricy side to me, but I guess it is a "smart" EVSE. I chose the "dumb" Grizzl-e to save $200.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tom Moloughney does EVSE reviews on his Youtube channel. But he hasn't done this one yet. He Has mentioned in the past he's reached out to EA to get one for a review but they haven't sent him one yet.

Hopefully now that its actually on sale he can get one and do a proper review on it.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag

I have read ’em all. Just didn’t see this one and it’s new.

My local electric utility offers zero rebates or incentives, so that doesn’t come into play.

Pricewise, there are cheaper ones, but comparable ones seem to be in the same range.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
FWIW, it doesn’t offer the option for a hardwired 48AMP (on 60AMP breaker) circuit, as do many others, including my ChargePoint Home Flex.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
FWIW, it doesn’t offer the option for a hardwired 48AMP (on 60AMP breaker) circuit, as do many others, including my ChargePoint Home Flex.
Website says there is a hardwire option but I don’t need that anyway. I already have the NEMA 14-50 plug in the garage for the charger that came with the car. That’s good enough for me.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
FWIW I've been in contact with United Chargers on Twitter and they will be selling Smart board upgrades early next year for the dumb Grizzl-E chargers to be upgraded to smart ones.

So if you want a smart charger, I'd buy a dumb Grizzl-E and then upgrade it sometime next year
or just buy their smart version. The Grizzl-Es are solid and not plastic like a bunch of the other smart chargers are. I know yours is in a garage, but I still like that it's built like a tank for cheaper than the other ones.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is also a really helpful video to understand EVSEs and that they really are just a fancy light switch:

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Anybody have this EA charge station? Opinions?
Check the features it offers and the layout of the construction, lights, etc., and compare to the others. I'm betting we're seeing the emergence of EVSEs with 'Peel 'n Stick' labels for branding with no difference in function all coming from the same generic mfgr. As said above, it's just a switch.

I'd wait. The market will mature fairly quickly, but for now it's the new shiny object of desire and prices are artificially high.

Wanna buy a Cabbage Patch Kid? Hardly used.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
FWIW I've been in contact with United Chargers on Twitter and they will be selling Smart board upgrades early next year for the dumb Grizzl-E chargers to be upgraded to smart ones.

So if you want a smart charger, I'd buy a dumb Grizzl-E and then upgrade it sometime next year
or just buy their smart version. The Grizzl-Es are solid and not plastic like a bunch of the other smart chargers are. I know yours is in a garage, but I still like that it's built like a tank for cheaper than the other ones.
Well that is good to hear. I signed up on the GrizzlE "upgrade" list months ago and have not heard a peep.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well that is good to hear. I signed up on the GrizzlE "upgrade" list months ago and have not heard a peep.
Yeah looks like January people on the list will be able to order and then after that anyone can buy the upgrade PCBA.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Check the features it offers and the layout of the construction, lights, etc., and compare to the others. I'm betting we're seeing the emergence of EVSEs with 'Peel 'n Stick' labels for branding with no difference in function all coming from the same generic mfgr. As said above, it's just a switch.

I'd wait. The market will mature fairly quickly, but for now it's the new shiny object of desire and prices are artificially high.

Wanna buy a Cabbage Patch Kid? Hardly used.
You mean, kinda like TV’s and computers?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
...The Grizzl-Es are solid and not plastic like a bunch of the other smart chargers are. I know yours is in a garage, but I still like that it's built like a tank for cheaper than the other ones.
Grizzl-E is a solid product! I fully expect mine to outlast my ownership of this MME (est. 5-yrs), and maybe my next EV as well. Yes, it's that well put together.
Sponsored