Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That sneaky 'demand' add-on is a real scam. Our church got caught by that. It compares your lowest consumption to the highest and the greater the gap the more they charge. It is a gimmick the electric distributors use to rip off consumers. It goes against every environmental concept. The US government should make those charges unlawful - in the name of true conservation.
We have demand charges in Arizona for both commercial and residential customers (APS, not SRP). It is not based on a differential. It is based on the maximum use between 3pm and 8pm during weekdays. That worst day during the month contributes to that charge. The purpose is to get customers to reduce the load during those hours in order to prevent blackouts (i.e. see what is happening in CA during he summer!). In the Phoenix heat all the air conditioners are running a lot during those hours, so I turn up my thermostat automatically during the peak hours.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
We have demand charges in Arizona for both commercial and residential customers (APS, not SRP). It is not based on a differential. It is based on the maximum use between 3pm and 8pm during weekdays. That worst day during the month contributes to that charge. The purpose is to get customers to reduce the load during those hours in order to prevent blackouts (i.e. see what is happening in CA during he summer!). In the Phoenix heat all the air conditioners are running a lot during those hours, so I turn up my thermostat automatically during the peak hours.
It's not the worst day during the month, but the worst hour.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America is very expensive 1624369901593

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Ford gives us two years of network charging. Not sure I understand the program. Does that give us cheaper rates at places like EA?
You get 250 kWh free (some of us impacted by early delays got 500). After that, it gives you convenience of Plug&Charge, but that's it. You end up paying 35% more than EA's cheapest rate.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Even more expensive when you consider most people get more than 30 mpg, or 40 mpg from hybrids...
Most people don't get more than 30 mpg. Don't forget the best selling vehicle in North America is the F-150. It's amazing how many people drive around solo in Expeditions and such.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Guys, Mach-E is a sporty SUV not comparable to the Escape.
Compare it to BMW X5 which have around the same 0-60 time.
Its MPG on highway is 26 mpg.
While I do get comparing against say something that cost close to the same price that is not always how people are comparing them. Also I would compare it against the same class/ size which the X5 is little to big compare to the Mach E. I would go against the X4 or Acura RDX to be a fair comparison. Even then the Mach E works out to be a little cheaper.
Now for me on road trips I will compare the cost against what I was driving and my wife's current car. That being a Honda Crosstour and Hyundai Santa fe Turbo as the first was the last car I own and the latter is the other choice we have for road trips. Cost wise the mach E works out to be even at EA slightly cheaper for me. By slightly you are saying 20 bucks vs 15ish bucks. Where I got the extra savings on that trip was topping up at the hotel and then going down to about 10% to get home and charging that at home. Mind you I am not multiple stopping it and relayed on hotel to get me to range to get me home.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Ford gives us two years of network charging. Not sure I understand the program. Does that give us cheaper rates at places like EA?
I keep hoping ford will let us link our EA accounts to the car so if we have a membership we get those rates or even better Ford cuts a deal and all Ford cars get EA membership rates on plug and charge.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Most people don't get more than 30 mpg. Don't forget the best selling vehicle in North America is the F-150. It's amazing how many people drive around solo in Expeditions and such.
I agree, but i doubt those are the people buying Mach E's right now lol. I would place the Mach E crowd in the higher MPG bunch.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and we're talking California... but CalTrans is beginning to install free charging stations that will work on most EVs. Currently most are in Sacramento area -- of course! But, this is the way to go. Subsidizing EVs is cool, but what really needs to work is charging.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It allows you to charge at EA, EVgo, etc without needing to set up an account at each. You use the fordpass account to pay for it so there's one bill and you only need 1 account. It does NOT give you the cheaper rate at EA, nor does it currently link with your own EA account that does have the cheaper rate.

The value is minimal IMHO, so I will probably not renew when it lapses

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I just got back from a 1200+ mile round trip to Texas. I used the Ford-supplied credit when charging on EA. Once I got into southern OK, no more EA. Charge stations were provided by Francis Energy and billed through EVGateway. Here is an example:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America is very expensive 1624369901593

They charge by the minute - it comes out to about $0.21 per KwH. Very reasonable. You just have to make sure you're there to stop charging when you hit 80% - $0.32 per minute would be very expensive charging after the 80% wall is hit!
The problem with these Francis chargers, is that they are $0.32 per minute no matter what speed. I came across a 50kw station and they still charge $0.32/min. Literally 2 blocks away a gas station had a chargepoint DCFC station and it was only charging $0.09/kwh. Still not sure how they are getting away with charging per kwh here in Oklahoma since its not legal.

Francis is great here because they are all over Oklahoma. Don't have to worry about charging anywhere in OK because of it. But they are expensive.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I agree, but i doubt those are the people buying Mach E's right now lol. I would place the Mach E crowd in the higher MPG bunch.
Not sure it's a good assumption. My Toyota Tacoma gets 17 mpg, 19 on a good day.

Lot's of folks on here have ICE Mustangs -- far from efficient.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I keep hoping ford will let us link our EA accounts to the car so if we have a membership we get those rates or even better Ford cuts a deal and all Ford cars get EA membership rates on plug and charge.
I wish I could simply go into my EA account and enter my VIN and have P&G work without needing Ford in the middle of it. That solves the discount issue and lets me charge multiple EVs with one account.

GM does it very differently, but does not yet support P&G. In MyChevrolet app I can link that app to my ChargePoint and EVGO apps, then initiate the charge. The billing is then direct with EVGO and ChargePoint, not via GM. Since I have two EVs from different manufacturers, I see no advantage of going through the OEM to provide billing.

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
FWIW, I concur. My MME replaced a Stinger GT2 which got about 19 MPG combined city/hwy.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
There are actually two things that can be done to help solve this:

1) Add batteries to the site to reduce the grid load during peak hours, this of course increases cost of the site.
2) Convince the electric companies to eliminate the demand charge for EV chargers. In some states, like Arizona, EA is partnering with the electric companies and likely can work out a solution.
None of that is going to work. The batteries will probably increase the price by $0.2-0.5 per kWh or more because they have limited number of full cycles (500-1000) before they need to be replaced. Adding batteries to level the electricity consumption is very expensive, creates even higher demand for those metals, and results in more pollution. They would do better by pumping water or something similar. If electricity storage were cheap the electric companies wouldn't be charging for peak demand. Free market prices simply reflect reality.
Sponsored