Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Electrify America released a Newsflash a couple days ago on 2/7/2022 about Cold Weather Charging.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Newsflash - Cold Weather Charging Small-813-CharginginAmericaColdWeatherChargin

There isn't necessarily anything new here to most forum members, but certainly can confirm in cold temperatures, charging is slower (about 36%) and range is reduced (20%-39%), in all battery electric vehicles (BEVs). The article references some interesting studies:

SEPARATE NOTE & QUESTION:
I live in Iowa and want to keep my Mach-E GT PE in pristine condition and low mileage. No driving in rain, snow, or salt covered roads. I have had it in storage under a custom Mach-E cover for about 9 weeks now. I entered the vehicle about a week ago, turned it on to check the system and state of charge (SOC). It was still at 50% as I had charged at time of putting it into storage. I left it on for about 5 minutes to see if the SOC change, but it stayed there at 50% for weeks. Interesting.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Newsflash - Cold Weather Charging 2022-01-05 Mach E GTPE Cover Storage

Pre-conditioning QUESTION
I also own a Mach-E Select which is more of a daily driver. I have it set to precondition to be warm and ready both in morning at 7:20am (in heated garage, kept at 50F) and 2:50pm (outdoor). Most of the time it's unplugged, about once per week plugged in at the morning time to the Ford Connected Charger.

I get an alert on FordPass that it starts the preconditioning exactly 5 minutes before the set time in both the morning time in the heated garage and in the afternoon time in outdoor and much colder environment - has been -5F to 30F. So I gather it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to precondition the batteries and cabin.

Is this a common experience that it starts the preconditioning only 5 minutes before the set time? I would have thought it would take longer.

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First off it is my understanding the vehicle needs to be plugged in to precondition batteries. It may just be coming on to condition the interior which it will still do if unplugged. Someone replied to a post of mine that preconditioning may be set to achieve a battery temp of 50 F which would result in no precondition action or benefit. I get my car in a month or so and will be testing that out as I keep my garage at 50 F. In your case; however, your experience is most likely due to not being plugged in.

OP
OP
0t60-3.5

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
To each their own, but what’s the fun in that?
I know, right? Luckily, I also have a '21 Explorer ST- another fun and fast vehicle. So I still have fun, my friend! And incredibly, the blackout Explorer ST gets just as many, if not more, complimentary comments from passers by than the Mach-E GT PE!

And the weather conditions in the Midwest, especially the brine / salt they put on the roads in the winter, causes so many problems to vehicle over the long term. Rust, rust, rust. Would love to live in Florida or generally southern climate and the cars don't get near the rust.

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
I know, right? Luckily, I also have a '21 Explorer ST- another fun and fast vehicle. So I still have fun, my friend! And incredibly, the blackout Explorer ST gets just as many, if not more, complimentary comments from passers by than the Mach-E GT PE!

And the weather conditions in the Midwest, especially the brine / salt they put on the roads in the winter, causes so many problems to vehicle over the long term. Rust, rust, rust. Would love to live in Florida or generally southern climate and the cars don't get near the rust.
We also have a ‘20 Explorer ST but in white. Flying down the freeway so many people move over thinking it’s State Patrol. ZFG tune and Thermal R&D exhaust as we pass by gives them a double take. ??

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

I’ve lived in the Midwest my whole life and never had an issue with rust. I just wash my car regularly, even in the winter. I also hate the salty roads, but it’s not THAT bad.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
To each their own, but what’s the fun in that?
Sounds like how my wife handles bad weather. Recently our MME was parked in the garage for 6 days. We have an AWD Honda CR-V as backup.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I get an alert on FordPass that it starts the preconditioning exactly 5 minutes before the set time in both the morning time in the heated garage and in the afternoon time in outdoor and much colder environment - has been -5F to 30F. So I gather it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to precondition the batteries and cabin.

Is this a common experience that it starts the preconditioning only 5 minutes before the set time? I would have thought it would take longer.
Setting a departure time (since the Mach-E has no preconditioning setting) will start things going about 45 minutes prior to departure when plugged in.
Sponsored