Electrify america plug and charge and charging speeds on point today, hit 156kw (somehow)

Cherlin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS , Premium EX4, 22' M3 SR+, R1T Order
Occupation
Electric Utilities - Management
Country flag
So my wife and I did a 300ish mile road trip today and hit up an electrify america fast charger (third one I have used, plug and charge has worked flawless every time!) In pacific grove ca today at 28% and were greated with the highest charging speeds and fastest charge we have seen yet, right away we hit 156kw (which is over what I thought our max was, but maybe that factors in loss?) And had a relatively flat curve to about 65% where it started tapering until we hit 80%

Very impressed with it's charging so far!

PXL_20210227_235009577.jpg
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Nice. Both easternrefugee and chasingcoral reported over 150 kWH rates today as well in other threads. Good to see its working well on some chargers

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
That's excellent to see, might have to give that location a try on our first trip in the MME to Monterey/Big Sur. Around 63 temp wise there at the time?

So my wife and I did a 300ish mile road trip today and hit up an electrify america fast charger (third one I have used, plug and charge has worked flawless every time!) In pacific grove ca today at 28% and were greated with the highest charging speeds and fastest charge we have seen yet, right away we hit 156kw (which is over what I thought our max was, but maybe that factors in loss?) And had a relatively flat curve to about 65% where it started tapering until we hit 80%

Very impressed with it's charging so far!

PXL_20210227_235009577.jpg

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Tried Clarksburg, Md EA. Plugged into four different DC chargers. Plug and play would not work. After connection to the car, EA screen would show me an opportunity to pay through credit card or their app. I did find the EA chargers through the Ford Pass App and was successful in starting the initialization, twice after recognizing the car and starting the fan the units showed an error message and gave up. Twice I was able to begin the charge and each time after a short bit the charge rate did not rise above 48kWh.

SOC was about 50%. Temps were in the low 50's. Car had been driven for a bit, but not hard. I did not turn off E-heat as Bjorn has suggested.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify america plug and charge and charging speeds on point today, hit 156kw (somehow) 1614581542525

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Over the weekend, I used two EA locations along I-5 in California.

At Panoche Shell in Firebaugh, connection failed for my first try, but worked for my second attempt. P&C didn't work. But I was able to charge using Apple/Google Play. Peak rate was 135ish on a 150kW charger. I started charging at 50%.

At Countryside Market Shell in Bakersfield, P&C worked. Peak rate was 156kW on a 350kW charger.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tried Clarksburg, Md EA. Plugged into four different DC chargers. Plug and play would not work. After connection to the car, EA screen would show me an opportunity to pay through credit card or their app. I did find the EA chargers through the Ford Pass App and was successful in starting the initialization, twice after recognizing the car and starting the fan the units showed an error message and gave up. Twice I was able to begin the charge and each time after a short bit the charge rate did not rise above 48kWh.

SOC was about 50%. Temps were in the low 50's. Car had been driven for a bit, but not hard. I did not turn off E-heat as Bjorn has suggested.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify america plug and charge and charging speeds on point today, hit 156kw (somehow) 1614581542525
Curious if the ones that failed almost immediately were 350kw stations? I've had the exact same thing happen on 350kw stations, But the 150kw stations work just fine.

OP
OP

Cherlin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS , Premium EX4, 22' M3 SR+, R1T Order
Occupation
Electric Utilities - Management
Country flag
Over the weekend, I used two EA locations along I-5 in California.

At Panoche Shell in Firebaugh, connection failed for my first try, but worked for my second attempt. P&C didn't work. But I was able to charge using Apple/Google Play. Peak rate was 135ish on a 150kW charger. I started charging at 50%.

At Countryside Market Shell in Bakersfield, P&C worked. Peak rate was 156kW on a 350kW charger.
My 156KW was also on a 350KW station, I noticed it tends to stay higher longer as well the 1 time I used a 350kw charger, I think more testing is needed, but maybe there is a correlation?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
My 156KW was also on a 350KW station, I noticed it tends to stay higher longer as well the 1 time I used a 350kw charger, I think more testing is needed, but maybe there is a correlation?
Mine took 31 minutes from 29% to 80% (according to charge log in Ford Pass app) at the EA 350kW charger. It reached 150kW shortly after starting. I didn't monitor the charge curve. Temperature was in the 50-70 °F range.

EA receipt (email from Ford) showed 48 kWh delivered.

The above numbers suggest that 3kWh was lost during the charging process. It is likely that the peak rate was no more than 150kW from the battery's perspective, as the rest was lost somewhere between the charger and the battery.
Sponsored