Electrify America Porsche Taycan Trip Report (and a Humble Request)

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
On the first day of ownership while driving home from the dealership we stopped in Waco (Bellmead) to use our first DCFC. We tried the 150 and it didn't work so we moved to 350 and everything worked as expected. They had a total of 6 chargers 4 150kw and 2 350kw. I did not use the CHAdeMO charger as I knew that was for Leafs. Only one other vehicle showed up during the 30 minutes we charged. We maybe had 10 minutes of overlap.
Now that we know the difference I would not use the 350kw unless the other 150kw chargers are broken or all others are taken and we are sure we can complete our charge in under 45 minutes.

We saw 165kw during our single EA DCFC session.

We have a 900-mile road trip coming up and both my wife and I know how to check for availability before arrival now.
I didn't like it when gas pumps were blocked by people buying food or taking a really long time doing something other than pumping gas. I don't want to do the same for my fellow EV owners.
Very kind of you! Like I said in the original post the EV community is really pretty friendly so far.
Sponsored

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
It's a new version of the should you use the larger stall or the regular stall in the public bathroom.

Is that larger stall reserved for the handicapped or available to everyone?

All that extra room in the stall is great until someone rolls up needing to use it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Porsche Taycan Trip Report (and a Humble Request) when-your-are-using-the-handicap-stall-and-see-a-60330210

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I think I'd take the 150, but hang out while charging and free it up for the Leaf if I saw it.

As you say, they literally have one option - it's not a choice between faster/slower, it's literally all they can use.
So I should use the 150 and “hang out” in case a Leaf shows up, and move my car if they do, and not use the 350 just in case someone rolls up in a Taycan so they can charge faster? 🙄

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Derek, thanks for posting about this. So many people are learning about charging etiquette, myself included. Although I purposely only used 150kW pumps on my last trip, I really didn't think about why I was doing that. And I didn't think about the Leaf issue, as I believe I used a pump that also had a cord with a blue handle, indicating CHAdeMO I think.

It is clearly inconsiderate to hog free chargers by leaving your car there after the charge is finished, but it is not as clear what is inconsiderate when using a DCFC unless you really think about it. And you were definitely thinking about it because you really could benefit from the 350 kW pump.

On my next trip, I will avoid the CHAdeMO and 350 kW pumps, unless those are the only ones available.

Happy trails!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So I should use the 150 and “hang out” in case a Leaf shows up, and move my car if they do, and not use the 350 just in case someone rolls up in a Taycan so they can charge faster? 🙄
Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. 😎

The CHAdeMO is my last choice. I'll take a 350 over the CHAdeMO. And it won't affect whether I hang around or not. But I do try to grab a 150 as my 1st choice. Could just be coincidental, but I usually find the 150's more dependable than the 350's.

I do wish they would use different color labels for 150 vs 350. By the time I can read that print, I'm usually already pulled halfway in and just stick with it.

Of course, the other factor is simply finding a charger that works and talks to the vehicle properly. Sometimes one car model activates on a charger where another model struggles. And some people know the tricks to try while others don't. All of which leads to cars on chargers that weren't their first choice. EA works probably 70% first attempt for us, but the other 30% is a hit&miss game. For instance today we did 550 miles with 4 EA charges. 3 of 4 worked 1st attempt. The 4th we had to switch chargers.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Which brings me to my humble request:

Since the Mach-E maxes out at 150kW, please consider using those pumps rather than the 350kW pumps, unless the 350kW pumps are the only ones available.
I totally understand the inconvenience that the MME poses to our 800v friends, it’s just that I’m not moving spots to save you a few minutes, even on an otherwise empty station. Hear me out.

I don’t even notice the kW rating until I’m grabbing the cable handle. Arriving at a station, the first thing I’m looking for is to see if the screen is working. By the time I distinguish between a 150kW vs 350kW unit the family is already exiting the vehicle and my charge port door is open. Seeing the 350kW label, my attitude becomes “Oops. Fuggit, I’m charging“.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I totally understand the inconvenience that the MME poses to our 800v friends, it’s just that I’m not moving spots to save you a few minutes, even on an otherwise empty station. Hear me out.

I don’t even notice the kW rating until I’m grabbing the cable handle. Arriving at a station, the first thing I’m looking for is to see if the screen is working. By the time I distinguish between a 150kW vs 350kW unit the family is already exiting the vehicle and my charge port door is open. Seeing the 350kW label, my attitude becomes “Oops. Fuggit, I’m charging“.
Yep. That's why I wish they used different color labels. The blue handle on the CHAdeMO really sticks out, so I can usual see that from a distance before pulling in.

KDub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
Reasonable request and will use 150s before 350s if available...only if you get Tesla owners to not use Level 2 destination chargers when Tesla destination chargers are available😉

Seriously though, will do.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Nope, I use the open stall I can most easily park at and access my port. Usually on the right end of the row.

Last week we drove the entire east coast and the only had one stop in Virginia with a full bank of 4 in use. Taycan, VW, Volvo and MachE. Had to wait 5 minutes for a spot.

It would be nice if EA marked the 350s better so considering speeds could be a thing.

Reactions: ARK

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Sounds good on paper.

Recent real world experience is that there’s only 1 or 2 working out of the only 4 on site.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I believe it, some of the 150kW pumps managed to deliver ~175kW in my experience.
Agreed. Not only do we get that initial 165+ kWh spike, I found the earlier part of the charging curve to stay around 130-140 on 350 chargers but more like 115 on 150 chargers.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
On my only Road Trip last year I stopped at 5 EA stations and had them all to myself! This year I have seen more activity with the Ionic5’s and the ID4’s out there. Still have yet to see anyone charging at a Chademo Plug.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
On my only Road Trip last year I stopped at 5 EA stations and had them all to myself! This year I have seen more activity with the Ionic5’s and the ID4’s out there. Still have yet to see anyone charging at a Chademo Plug.
I have seen Leafs several times on my road trips. Looks like the golden age of empty chargers is coming to a close with all the "Free Charging" at EA cars. I have not road tripped since last Fall, but it sounds like things are changing rapidly.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have seen Leafs several times on my road trips. Looks like the golden age of empty chargers is coming to a close with all the "Free Charging" at EA cars. I have not road tripped since last Fall, but it sounds like things are changing rapidly.
Oh yes, my fear is coming true: charger congestion! I just hope the typically vacant DCFC on the way to my mom's house stays that way, otherwise, I might have to do the ICE thing. Arrrg. I want to drive my car!!!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen Teslas charging on the CHAdeMO too.
Sponsored