First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
How many vehicles are capable of 800V charging? How many in the next few years are going to have this capability?

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
so maybe the time-based business model doesn't work anymore?
Time based charging fails by itself. It never made sense as the charging time is going vary on temps, battery state, charger issues, it's all over the map on the Tesla but you don't get too wound up because you pay for kWh. Charging by time, if I have a cold car and I'm getting billed 50kWh for 28kWh, it's unfair billing and that's why EA changed. CA regs made them change it for that reason and I think EA knew it was going to cause customer satisfaction issues so just went to the kWh.

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
How many vehicles are capable of 800V charging? How many in the next few years are going to have this capability?
Right now? One.
2021 and beyond will have Hyundai, KIA, GM, Honda and others.

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Time based charging fails by itself. It never made sense as the charging time is going vary on temps, battery state, charger issues, it's all over the map on the Tesla but you don't get too wound up because you pay for kWh. Charging by time, if I have a cold car and I'm getting billed 50kWh for 28kWh, it's unfair billing and that's why EA changed. CA regs made them change it for that reason and I think EA knew it was going to cause customer satisfaction issues so just went to the kWh.
I don't disagree that there are issues with the time-based approach in much the same way there are issues with the kWh-based model. Yes, I think CA nudged Electrify America and the whole industry will head that way in every state that allows it.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
With a subtle nod to the Mach-E with Plug&Charge capability.
That is a nice feature as I think most frustration on chargers is dealing with the screen and credit cards etc. If you use a charger regularly, you get the hang of it but people new to EV's would frustrated so Mach-E have the Plug&Charge for EA will be a good feature to have.